CrowdSupport®
Juzz
Level 2: Rookie

Reference to NBNCo for Satellite Application

Answered

Good Morning,

I have lodged three calls with Telstra between now and last Tuesday in efforts to begin the NBN satellite application process, but have ended up in the wrong departments on every occasion, who were unable to help me and unable to let me know who might be more able to help, thus, I come to you guys seeking some assistance or directions Smiley Happy

My name's Justin, and my wife and I have recently moved to a rural property. We had an NBNCo tech come out a fortnight ago to conduct the pre-installation radio survey, and were found to be out of range of the Fixed Wireless service. 

We then had the hold removed on the property for ADSL and had the existing service reconnected, had an open fault on the line fixed, and were then told that our line was too long for a sync, although we were initially told it was a 3600m line, which was similar to our old property.

So no ADSL and no NBN FTTW. I borrowed a NextG hotspot device and aerial to test our Mobile Broadband reception, and it's consistently between zero and one 'bars'. Drops in and out a fair bit - definitely not stable enough to use continually. Our phones drop calls and hold SMSes inside also - it's just not a good location for comms.

I placed a call to NBNCo in regards to their Satellite services, and was told that I'd require a referral e-mail from Telstra sent directly to NBNCo to state that we'd tried Mobile Broadband with no luck. They would not accept a word-of-mouth statement; it must be written and include a Referral Number, which I have.

I am seeking the right person/people to talk to regarding getting this e-mail done. I spoke to a lovely bloke in Mobile Broadband Tower Support after I was given their number by NBNCo to ring (in error, obviously) who told me that these things are usually handled by internal liasions between NBNCo and Telstra. I then rang NBNCo back and was told this was rubbish.

I realise this is very long-winded. I realise the coverage maps tell me I should get a good signal with Mobile Broadband (Aerial). I realise the website says ADSL is possible, as is fixed wireless. Thing is - they're not, and we've tried them all.

I don't really want a Satellite service, and I understand the need to jump through hoops to get one. Unfortunately we're left with little option to my wife can run her business, and I'd just like to get the ball rolling. There is existing (IPStar) Sat  gear on the roof, so it's been done before.

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the information overload!

Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Reference to NBNCo for Satellite Application

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-16dbi-yagi-directional-antenna

Have you considered a high-gain Yagi antenna connected to a mobile broadband service? Not ideal, but it might just provide you with basic internet access.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11

To be honest, I'm not sure Telstra currently offer NBNCo interim satellite services. I know they used to sell a Sat-based service, but they stopped signing up new customers for this on July 30th.

The list of approved NBNCo satellite providers is:
http://nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/information-for-home/satellite/satellite-service-provid...

Hopefully if you contact one of those providers, they will be able to get you connected, assuming there is capacity available.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Juzz

Cheers Kalak,

I'm not sure they do anymore either mate. Which is fine, I just need a letter to say that Mobile Broadband isn't suitable at our property (regardless of what the coverage map says, unfortunately), and NBN will roll the ball for me.

I'm just getting bounced around a bit because nobody at Telstra seems to know who can do it for me!

Justin

https://www.skymesh.net.au/services/nss/
https://www.skymesh.net.au/docs/nbn/Satellite%20Support%20Scheme%20Eligibility%20Criteria.pdf

There is nothing there that says you have to have a letter from Telstra. I would call NBN co back and ask to register for this service and tell them to send the form out.

YOU then complete the appropriate declarations and get the ball rolling.

https://www.skymesh.net.au/docs/nbn/Satellite%20Support%20Scheme%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Juzz

That's what I came across in my travels, too.

I quoted those documents the last time I spoke to NBN. They were adamant that an end-user applying for a Satellite service after July 2014 needs a letter from the metro-comparable Service Provider stating that the location is outside serviceable area. Since we've exhausted NBN and ADSL options, that then falls to Telstra.

I've been on the phone again this last hour and have made some progress after a transfer or two. A lovely fella at Telstra rang NBN for me and got told the very same, so it's not just me being led up the garden path - although it may be very new. Clearnet, Bordernet and IPStar told me I had to go through NBN for a new sat service, which checks out.

It doesn't look like this part of Telstra is able to provide said letter/e-mail for legal reasons, so I'm waiting to find out if there's a department in Telstra who can, or if I'll be left hanging again. Very few people would take satellite as a first option, and I understand the limited places, but it's a little disappointing nonetheless, especially as I'm 6km from a FTTW tower and less than 100m from a main road. TV is the same, no antenna reception either. It's like a little wormhole Smiley Happy

That sounds so frustrating, when they don't even follow their own published guidelines for how a process is supposed to work!

Hopefully a staff member sees your post and is able to pass this onto someone with the authority to get you sorted. I can understand that a front-line customer service staff members in the Philippines is unlikely to be able to issue an official letter stating you are in a black-spot, but surely there is somebody empowered to do so.

Have to considered contacting the CEO complaints team? In the past I had an issue and they were VERY helpful, and they are certainly empowered to operate 'outside the box'.
http://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/contact-ceo/

When speaking to the next Telstra rep, make sure you get a reference number to put into the form (if you select complaint).

Juzz

Thankyou so much for the information Kalak.

I must admit it is a bit. I'm a pretty patient fella, but this constant to-and-froing happens way too often among big players. Maybe I just draw the short-end of the stick or something!

Anyway, it turns out that the property we've moved to received an installation under the old Australian Broadband Guarantee, and NBNCo won't touch those, regardless of whether the original owners and equipment are present or not. 

So, that's that. We now join the 1% of Australia without access to a single Internet service. Thanks for your help mate.

Accepted Solution

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-16dbi-yagi-directional-antenna

Have you considered a high-gain Yagi antenna connected to a mobile broadband service? Not ideal, but it might just provide you with basic internet access.

Highlighted
Juzz

Kudos to you my friend. I'm going to mark this as the solution, because that's about all we've got. Although we've tried an external antenna, I think I'll end up picking something big like this up and mounting it to the roof. 

Thanks for all your help mate. Looks like an 8GB plan and aerial will be the best option. 

Justin

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Juzz,

That isn't a good experience to hear about. We can certainly have this investigated further for you to see what mobile broadband solution is going to be best for your location (ie roof mounted antenna and which direction to point it). I'll send you a private message with a form to complete so we can obtain some of your details.

Once we review the form we'll be in touch to follow up.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Juzz

Cheers Matt, that'd be gold. We've tried a few things, but I'm happy to try others. Coverage maps tell us we should get good signal with an aerial, so I'm hoping I just used something inappropriate the first time (it wasn't a really big one).

Cheers,

Justin

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries Justin.

We'll be in touch once we review the form you completed.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now