Highlighted
DoogyHouser
Level 3: Gumshoe

Remote Access for Sagemcom F@ST 5355 not working

Answered
I recently joined Telstra NBN and got delivered the Sagemcom F@st 5335 modem. I have enabled Remote Access on this router however when I access from outside my network (internet), it doesn't accept the password. I am using the same password as what I use when I login from within my network. Does anyone know why this would be the case? BTW this modem could do with a huge uplift to bring it to the modern age. It has only 2x 100Mbps LAN ports! I would prefer 4x 1Gbps ports.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth
Accepted Solution

Re: Remote Access for Sagemcom F@ST 5355 not working

Mine is working OK too.

You might need to toggle the "Use Random Password" setting to off, input the password you wish to use and click Apply.
This will save the password, but turn the Random Password toggle back on.  Don't worry though, your specified password was saved and you should now be able to log in.

remote access random password.PNG

On a side note, despite the hardware let-downs with this modem/router, I'm actually finding that the firmware and gui Telstra have on this thing is hands down the worst I have seen on any Tesltra branded gateway - ever.

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 24: Supreme Being

Funnily enough it is a brand new modem, they have only had it about 6 months... The Gateway Max was better....
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Works ok on my gateway. There is a security warning about the certificat, wich I have to click on ignore to reach the log on page.

The-OG-Reece
Accepted Solution

Mine is working OK too.

You might need to toggle the "Use Random Password" setting to off, input the password you wish to use and click Apply.
This will save the password, but turn the Random Password toggle back on.  Don't worry though, your specified password was saved and you should now be able to log in.

remote access random password.PNG

On a side note, despite the hardware let-downs with this modem/router, I'm actually finding that the firmware and gui Telstra have on this thing is hands down the worst I have seen on any Tesltra branded gateway - ever.

DoogyHouser

Yes I get that as well, but when I type in my password, it comes up with "Wrong Login Information" Smiley Sad

DoogyHouser

Interesting. I didn't set it up this way as I thought this is those options that you enable to allow third parties to connect and then troubleshoot your issues.

Instead, I think its under Gateway settings, there is a option to enable "Remote Connection" and it asks which port you want your https on. By detault it is set to 443.

I will try to check what happens when I disable random password tonight.

I just wish there would be an advanced manual that can be provided for people that do not want the one page instructions that comes with the box

Hi Doogy Houser,

Due to a lack of any manual or information I created a  unofficial manual. It is located at.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzrqIis29Do9bTFxRUFjU3ZoWE0/view

I have not included remote access. I might include it in update if enough people are interested in it.

The internal links in the document don't work in the online document. It has to be downloaded for the links to work.

DoogyHouser

wow amazing work Smiley Happy

The-OG-Reece

Nice work @cf4.  Is there somewhere we can make some suggestions for edits?

eg.
You and I have changed the IP address and DHCP scope of the gateway, but on the out-of-box models currently being shipped, this is not possible due to a GUI bug.  The workaround is to use your web browser's developer console to trick it into validating the new scope.  Maybe you could list the instruction for doing this with a disclaimer that it's not an official fix and only a possible workaround - proceed at your own risk.

Also, your screenshot indicates that PPP is used for IPoE connections such as FTTP/FTTN NBN services when this is not the case.  Apparently it's only applicable for ADSL2/2+ services and Static IP enabled services.

It might also be handy to list the limitations of the device so people don't need to keep asking the same questions:

• 2x Fast Ethernet LAN ports (10/100 NOT Gigabit)
  • USB storage device accessibility and media content sharing is only accessible within the LAN, not over WAN
  • No NAT loopback 
  • The rest...

I would be happy to include all of that in an update.

Could you send the information to my private inbox.

I received my modem about three weeks ago and had no problems in changing the address range.so perhaps the have fixed the bug. I will include it in update for the benefits of those who have the problem. 

Was wonder why it was on when I had an IPOE connect. That's how it was when I got it I have done a factory reset and it was still on. It doesn't seem to effect my NBN connection and its needed for ADSL so I see no harm in leaving on. I have noticed a few post were people have had trouble getting a connection. (On Line light blue instead of green) when connected to an ADSL line, PPP being off could have been the problem.

I am new to this forum so I don't know how to post link and invite feedback on material to include  and correction for any incorrect information. There only seems the option to post questions.

DoogyHouser

wow, my jaw just dropped when your solution worked! I am not saying bad about your solution but how pathetic the router config is to enable remote management.

So, the place where I was enabling it was in the Advanced Mode under Access Control and then Remote Access. Did some testing and this area and the one you told me are linked!

Followed the steps you listed and it worked like a charm!

Now is it true that on reboot, the remote access will be disabled, even though I have chosen it as "Permenet" ?

The-OG-Reece

No I don't beleive so.
I've rebooted my modem already to do a WAN IP release/renew (to get a new external IP) and it still works for me, just that I have to use the new external IP address.

DoogyHouser

I also did a quick check last night and it didn't get disabled after a reboot Smiley Happy

You can always get a free dyndns or no-ip account, configure your router to update this everytime and you won't need to remember the new ip addresses when accessing your router, instead you could use a friendly dns name Smiley Happy

BigTechGuy

Legend Smiley Happy

BTW...how you ever had the 4G Mobile Broadbank Backup ever activate? It's supposed to do this automatically but no one at Telstra can give me a stright answer about it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now