Peter_B1000
Level 1: Cadet

Replace Telstra Smart Modem

Answered

Hi, due to some features missing in the Telstra smart modem V2. I have disconnected it and put back my original router. Which has been working fine for last 10 years on Telstra Cable. I assume this is ok and wont cause any problems. I have been receiving mails from Telstra warning me its in backup mode and to turn it back on. Can I just ignore these.

• I understand Telstra wont support me and I would have to put it back for future troubleshooting.
  • I loose the Mobile backup mode, but its very slow so not worth it.
  • We are not using the landline feature

Features that are missing.

• Open VPN
  • Unable to select a specific DNS (Terrible feature in the Telstra Router/Modem)
  • Reporting
  • Lack of visibility on what the firewall is monitoring as well as an uptodate spam phishing filer, ad blocker, application control etc.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Replace Telstra Smart Modem

If you ignore the warnings about modem being in backup mode the worst that will happen is that 4 G backup on the modem will be disabled. To prevent these messages you could connect the smart modem’s WAN port to a LAN port on your original router. Once modem has detected a Internet connection on its WAN port you should stop get the messages. Once messages have stopped if you don’t need to use the phone just turn modem off and disconnect. If you need phone leave smart modem connected.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

If you ignore the warnings about modem being in backup mode the worst that will happen is that 4 G backup on the modem will be disabled. To prevent these messages you could connect the smart modem’s WAN port to a LAN port on your original router. Once modem has detected a Internet connection on its WAN port you should stop get the messages. Once messages have stopped if you don’t need to use the phone just turn modem off and disconnect. If you need phone leave smart modem connected.

Highlighted
Peter_B1000
Level 1: Cadet

Plus I did ring Telstra, they confirmed too. So all good.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now