CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
alice2laura
Level 1: Cadet

Replace back up battery already?

Answered

Hi all

I have been hearing a beeping noise in my house for the past few days and I have finally found the source! It its coming from the NBN Back up battery unit. The red light on the unit indicates that the back up battery needs replacing. Firstly when we had NBN installed I was never informed that I would have to change the battery and secondly the unit has only been operational for 6 months! I have done some investing online and have found that I need to buy a particular type of battery. Has anyone else had to replace the battery in their NBN unit yet? If so where did you get one from and how much did it cost? Also how long are the batteries suppose to last?  Hope you can help, Thanks.

Laura 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Replace back up battery already?

Hi Laura,

Before you rush out to purchase a battery, hold down the Alarm Silence and the Battery Emergency Use buttons at the same time for 5-10 seconds, this will reset the Power Supply Unit (PSU). Check the Replace Battery LED again if this is still lit, then a replacement battery will be required. 

If you still have the "backup replacement" light on after changing the battery, then please contact our Tech Support team on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 873) as the PSU may need replacement. 

NBN Co supply the first backup battery which is a 12v, 7 or 7.2Ah AGM sealed lead acid battery. A quick web search shows that these are available at electronic stores such as Jaycar, however calling around to battery shops such as Battery World may also be worth trying.

NBN Co have created this video guide on how to safely change the battery, which you can watch here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/get-an-nbn-connection/nbn-user-guide/getting-to-know-your-equipment.html

Or for those who just want the steps, here they are:
  1. Turn the PSU off from the power point and unplug the power cord.
  2. Open the front cover of the PSU and remove the Red coloured cable with red plastic ends from the battery.
  3. Please be aware that the battery could be heavier than it appears.
  4. Push the tabs, one on top and one on bottom, that retain the battery outward and remove the battery.
  5. Remove the Black coloured cable that is still connected to the battery.
  6. Plug the Black coloured cable into the negative terminal (usually indicated by a "-" symbol) of the new battery.
  7. Place the battery back into the PSU slots that the old battery was removed from and secure it in place making sure the top and bottom tabs click into place.
  8. Plug the Red coloured cable with red plastic ends into the positive terminal (usually indicated by a "+" symbol) of the new battery.

Please note that the NBN PSU only provides battery backup power to the UNI-V ports

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Laura,

Before you rush out to purchase a battery, hold down the Alarm Silence and the Battery Emergency Use buttons at the same time for 5-10 seconds, this will reset the Power Supply Unit (PSU). Check the Replace Battery LED again if this is still lit, then a replacement battery will be required. 

If you still have the "backup replacement" light on after changing the battery, then please contact our Tech Support team on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 873) as the PSU may need replacement. 

NBN Co supply the first backup battery which is a 12v, 7 or 7.2Ah AGM sealed lead acid battery. A quick web search shows that these are available at electronic stores such as Jaycar, however calling around to battery shops such as Battery World may also be worth trying.

NBN Co have created this video guide on how to safely change the battery, which you can watch here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/get-an-nbn-connection/nbn-user-guide/getting-to-know-your-equipment.html

Or for those who just want the steps, here they are:
  1. Turn the PSU off from the power point and unplug the power cord.
  2. Open the front cover of the PSU and remove the Red coloured cable with red plastic ends from the battery.
  3. Please be aware that the battery could be heavier than it appears.
  4. Push the tabs, one on top and one on bottom, that retain the battery outward and remove the battery.
  5. Remove the Black coloured cable that is still connected to the battery.
  6. Plug the Black coloured cable into the negative terminal (usually indicated by a "-" symbol) of the new battery.
  7. Place the battery back into the PSU slots that the old battery was removed from and secure it in place making sure the top and bottom tabs click into place.
  8. Plug the Red coloured cable with red plastic ends into the positive terminal (usually indicated by a "+" symbol) of the new battery.

Please note that the NBN PSU only provides battery backup power to the UNI-V ports

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Laura,

How did you go? Any luck? 

- Greg II

Julie16

I am having the same problem, took me days to figure out where did the beep come from, drove me nuts! I have mine for 1 year and 3 months now. But why should the battery need replacing when the unit is always on main supply? I watched the video on replacing the battery, I can't get the cover to open!! Why does it have to be so hard?

pragmatic45

Why does Telstra need to know the NBN backup serial number?

It's so tough working with Telstra these days.

I just finally got my NBN service up and running. Now they want to know what my battery backup serial number is.

Why can't Telstra get this information from the NBN installer? Why do they need this information anyway?

Monkee

Re: Why does Telstra need to know the NBN backup serial number?

I'd say there must have been a bad batch of batteries... so maybe they're expecting all of them to only last as long as yours.

camgra1

Hi   My elderly mother has a beeping problem as well but she is 87 and is cetainly not in a physical condition to put out the cupboard that the technicians put it behind and crawl on the floor to remove a battery.  Is there an assistance service for the elderly?  She only has the NBN to be able to have a phone line.    

Support Team
Support Team

Hi camgra1, welcome to Crowd Support.

Without knowing more, it's difficult for us to say via this medium. Mum almost certainly qualifies for our Priority Assistance Service, details of which can be found here: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/customer-service/priority-assistance. I expect the process is  the same as when a customer with another ISP has a problem on our infrastructure, they report it to their ISP, they report it to our Wholesale team. In this case, she would report it to us, we then report it to NBN.

The team in the best position to help are the NBN Assurance team, and can be contacted on 1800 834 273, "Faults" at the prompt.

Avengersb
Level 2: Rookie

Hi All,

Stupid system with a single beep - so you have no idea where its coming from.

NBN/Telstra should clarify this on getting the system setup and the cost involved - which I still need clarified.

So to get this straight - a battery backup which has never been activated as this is on mains supply needs replacing after 1year???

So do I contact Telstra and they sort it out with NBN co to supply the replacement battery?

I expect this wont cost me anything as I pay premium rates for the service.

Cheers,

Level 24: Supreme Being

AFAIK You will have to replace the battery yourself and it wil be at your expense however you can contact NBN Assurance to get clarification

Here is NBN's page on battery replacement

http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/already-connected/nbn-equipment/battery-back-up-ser...

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @Avengersb

The battery supplied during the initial NBN Co install has a two year warranty, however the two years starts from when the NBN Battery Power Unit is installed at a premises NOT when a service is activated.

So if the actual PSU has been installed for less than two years, it would be best to contact Telstra on 1800 834 273 to organise a technician to replace the battery.

- Justyn

spelio

Tech Support team on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 873)

This is wrong number,!  

Where do I find the NBN battery model number???????

Should be 1800 834 273
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Warren45

NBN "Replace Battery" alarm.........  took a while to find where the bleating originated.  The NTD + PSU were about ten (10) months from installation the first time this happened. I removed the battery (not a problem for a retired technical) and measured 12.2v o/c  Placed a test load of 55w car head light bulb on battery for 30mins. This is about 4.5A - the battery is rated at 7Ah..

Pressed the two blue buttons for 10-15sec. as suggested. That restored the alarm. After replacing and reconnecting the battery all well for about six (6) months.

Then same procedure to restore alarm.  I have gone through this four(4) times since NBN installation Nov 2015.  Most recent last week after returning from three(3) week holiday last week. 

I wonder why we bother with battery backup on the NTD as the Gateway modem dies when the mains power fails.  So nothing works until that is restored.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now