GeekCentral
Level 1: Cadet

Request PTR change for local mail host.

My Mail host DNS header does not match the reverse DNS header. Mail servers receving emails will maker this as spam when they dont match.

Require Telstra support to change the PTR of the reverse DNS.

I have been on the phone and chat for over 3 hours. Need a level 2 tech support who can assist. 

On my telstra account dashboard - it is documented

Static IP Address Status: Active

Hold a unique IP address, so you can provide file and mail server access over the internet.

Yes - it supports mail server access when emails are not spammed. therefore need support to fix this issue.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Request PTR change for local mail host.

Is this on a consumer internet connection or a business internet connection?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

GeekCentral
Level 1: Cadet

Answer to your question: This is a consumer NBN connection. 

When purchase my static IP and on my login Dashboard under addons it states support for file and mail servers.

" Static IP Address : Active "

" Hold a unique IP address, so you can provide file server and mail server access over the internet. "

I have spoken to Telstra Platinum support  today -  To now find out, Telstra do not provide this service and only provide this for business telstra mail host exchange services only.

I find Telstra is miss leading the consumer as it was clearly documented on my account. "Mail server access" - NOT. Current setup of my mail server is blocked by receiving mail servers as spam now. Reverse DNS name and DNS headers are not the same and Telstra support does not have access to change the reverse DNS record. 

__spc__
Level 3: Gumshoe

Really??!!

I just splashed out on Telstra Static IP, plus a 3rd party personal domain INCLUDING SPF/MX CAPABILITY, on the basis that I could set the PTR... on the basis that the Telstra web pages say the Static IP is for web/mail server use.

I'm now a little bit cross!

Can a Telstra Rep confirm that PTR for domestic customers cannot be changed?

To my knowledge its not available for consumer customers.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

__spc__

Thanks for this info.

Telstra tried to sell me Platinum support on the phone just now, with no guarantees that they would address my PTR issue satisfactorily. WTF?!

Many other ISPs will change PTR records for you. In this day and age of technology, this counts as pretty poor performance by Telstra...

Telstra Platinum can't resolve this issue for you as its not within there scope.

samuels
Level 4: Private Eye

Went through this hooha too -- quickly canceled the residential static ip as it was kinda pointless (for my needs; and as read above too) and will just wait until i am out of contract and move away.

I too was under the assumption that i could make use of this static ip to house my own personal mail server. Ah well, tough **bleep** eh?

I was told by one rep that i could switch to business and do it. That is, PTR record, but that would include a 4 week delay just to get paperwork approved  and then i break existing contract and recontract as business?! Clucterf*&k there.

I put a complaint in with a vigil of hope they could make it a feature request for the telstra 24x7 app, so that we could do it ourself aka custdata method, but for just the single IP we get as residential and... *woosh*

__spc__

I have now removed my static IP address from Spamhaus and also the Microsoft Outlook spam list; my emails, so far, are not getting through, and not being treated as SPAM; trying to make the most of a cr@p situation...

ISPs across the world will update their PTR with a user's domain, so shame on you Telstra for trying to make an extra buck or hundred out of consumers.
samuels

Hmm, is SPF at the DNS level enough to get by with, without the PTR with regards to dealing with the major mail servers?

One residential static IP, change the PTR record, self-managed via Telstra 24x7.. how frickin' hard is that to achieve?! Even if it was a 'once a month editable change' i do not see it as obscurely a burden of any system sorts.. i am sure they have the personnel that can make it happen.

__spc__

My email get through to all mail servers, but land in some SPAM boxes.

Testing at Glock Apps (https://app.glockapps.com/login) I see my IP is listed in (apparently) just one spam list; I require rDNS/PTR change to be removed from this list. It is this list that is catching me out Smiley Sad

I don't send much email, generally receiving much more. For now I have to SMS/TXT someone I email for the first time (great Telstra, how's that for a modern use of technology?)!

I am exploring the move to a business account (although I gave up yesterday after online chatting to about 6 different - and highly ignorant - sales staff). Alternatively, at some point I may switch provider.

I am most astounded at how NO-ONE at Telstra understands anything about such issues. The minute I mention PTR and DNS - they leap into "so, you have a problem with your email account - I can help you with that..."  Aargh!

samuels

Can you send to google 'g suite' accounst though?

I can send emails to gmail but not google 'g suite' accounts... straight bounce back to me.

but like you said with glockapps, mine was all good too except that one lack of ptr blacklisting. 98.5% is okay i guess (take what i can get!) on there but yeah spam folder until i get more rep i guess?

__spc__

I haven't tried sending to a 'g suite' account - don't know anyone with an account to test against...

I have today set up DMARC and even added a 'list-unsubscribe' entry to my email headers, but I don't see any improvement. I really have done pretty much everything I can think of, short of getting the PTR sorted.

So, I can to most email servers, but then most of these send my emails to their SPAM folders. The problem seems to be that my IP is on this SPAM list:

dnsbl.spfbl.net     https://matrix.spfbl.net/124.187.32.150

You can only get removed from this one if you have a PTR / rDNS.

Any help you can provide, I'd be really grateful.

Cheers.

samuels

I'm on that list too - just checked.

We cannot do anything from our side of things - the ball is with Telstra and they wont budge i think.

I got another year on my contract and will most definitely be moving because of this PTR fiasco. I am dead set not getting a business account.. as that would be, in essence, $35 a month extra for the perks of a PTR! /sigh

Even going the ipv6 route is the same.. no PTR unless business.

Small business home office doesnt even have the PTR / custdata feature - which would have sufficed based on price parity with what i got now.

__spc__

What business package are you looking at, that would cost the $35 extra..?

samuels

Ultimate, but on second thoughts i wonder if Standard would suffice as its $100 ?!

https://www.telstra.com.au/small-business/bundles

__spc__

Thanks, that's what I had seen previously.

My current NBN plan (phone / broadband) is Unlimited Home Broadband $99, with a static IP add-on at $10. So I had spent a few hours with various on-line web-chat Telstra employees trying to establish whether or not I could indeed get a (small) business plan at effectively the same cost as my current plan, and including PTR / rDNS.

Needless to say, I got nowhere as I wasn't able to speak to a single employee who had even the vaguest of understanding of what I was after.

Can a Telstra employee in this forum confirm whether PTR records can be updated for holders of small business plans? (Is this your understanding @samuels ?)

Support Team
Support Team

I apologise for the troubles in having this clarified. We understand the Static IP talk here and what you are trying to do, this should be able to be set up. What number did you call?

If this was a business account, give our team a call on 13 22 00 and we will clarify the best option to set this up against our offers. You can also access our plans in the online store here https://tel.st/p5yph.

Regarding the PTR and rDNS this is something our front of staff might not be across, but we have a team for specific Domains enquiries that you can reach on 1800 878 483. They will be able to go through the steps to assign this IP to your domain, you can call today to make sure before setting up your offer, that way you won't run into any roadblocks while completing the application.

Please let me know how you go.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now