CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Requesting Moderator Assistance - DSLAM change

I am new to the Crowd Support site, I was sent here by Tesltra Bigpond technical support, after my sixth call in as many days. I have had three escaltions now, to a level 2 support tech. regarding this issue, all which have come back fine, which leads me to the final conclusion of congestion on my current DSLAM at the Ulladulla (2539) exchange. The level 2 support tech. has confirmed this for me, as a congestion issue. The third escalation is currently still under investigation, although, I am expecting the same response - congestion!

My line quality has been tested, & come back as being 100% okay, there is nothing wrong with any of the connections in the house, as those have also been checked, & also come back as being 100% okay. The ADSL line is run through a splitter, as is suggested, & the network is hard wired via ethernet cables, not via wireless, as this would obviously cause a whole host of other issues. During uncongested times, my internet connection is as smooth as I could possibly hope for, it runs like a dream, without any fault! Here is an example of the speed I get while uncongested -

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2155241635.png

As you can see from that link, the download speed of 14.78 Mb/s is consistent with our ADSL2+ plan, though, during the congestion time, which is from roughly 3 pm - midnight, the speed will drop GREATLY! Even to as low as 2 Mb/s! My ping times will jump from a steady 25 - 35 ms as seen in the above link, to anywhere over 200 +. This makes my hobby of online gaming after a long day at work virtually impossible! I usually organise online ladder matches via cybergamer.com.au, & this is really making things difficult! The Xbox 360 console I use for the online gaming is also hard wired via ethernet cable, to the router itself. I have configured the network so that I can optimise the online capacity of the console, such as forwarding the correct ports, setting up the QoS, via the console MAC address, to give the console the highest priority, & even set it in the DMZ zone, which in itself, makes the port forwarding redundant, but I am at my wits end trying every solution I can think of. Granted, during the uncongested times, as with the standard web browsing, the online gaming experience I have is flawless. Though, I can't be expected to play during the hours of midnight - 7 am, or 7 am - 3 pm. I am either asleep, or at work.

There are at least three DSLAMs in the Ulladulla (2539) exchange, that are congested. I was confirmed to be on one of those by the technical support rep. that I spoke to earlier today. The DSLAM ID is QULLAE4003M, as I said, it is confirmed as one of three, that is HEAVILY congested. I am aware I may not be the only one in this situation, but I am doing EVERYTHING I can to have it worked out, as it is becoming increasingly frustrating, as the internet itself, basically is becoming useless during the times that we use it the most, & when paying $140 per month, for our high speed connection, it is, in my mind at least, unacceptable!

I am at a loss for what else I can do, I was told by technical support, that this may be an avenue to try. He told me that the moderators here, may be very helpful in getting something such as a DSLAM change organised. If it is, I would absolutely LOVE to be switched to the least congested DSLAM in the exchange! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Requesting Moderator Assistance - DSLAM change

Afraid it's not that simple. Congestion as far as I know is almost always cabinet based, which makes me think that changing the DSLAM isn't as simple as moving a cable.

If you are getting over the minimum rate for assurance I'm not sure if anyone here can do much without breaking the polcy

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

If that is the case, then what exactly is it/is there that can/be changed to relieve this congestion issue?

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@lindamiller64 wrote:

If that is the case, then what exactly is it/is there that can/be changed to relieve this congestion issue?

The ideal solution would be to increase the backhaul, however this is not something that can be requested (as its a Wholesale decision, not a retail one).

Regretfully, Congestion is allowed under the T&Cs of your service. Your service does not provide a minimum service speed and your are not promised a specific speed when you join. Your options would be to move to a product in your area that provides you with the speed you desire (however note, it is not up to Telstra to supply this) or to continue to receive the product that you agreed to receive.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Well according to http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/backhaul-upgrade-list.xls this exchange was estimated to have work done at the end of last month, this should be updated on the spreadsheet soon so keep an eye on it.

Chances are it will only be pushed back a month or two imho. Just hold on a few more months OP =)

Edit: Don't use QoS for XboxLive DMZ is sufficient / better =P

Lathania

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit