Highlighted
Da_Bomber
Level 2: Rookie

Routing to Singapore isn't going through SMW3 again, cable has no faults. High ping from WA to SEA.

Hey gang,

Again there is the issue of SMW3 cable died, got repaired MONTHS AGO, and the routing table hasn't been fixed by Telstra for months, traceroute to Singapore speedtest sever paste below:

---

Tracing route to speedtest.singnet.com.sg [202.166.127.78]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms TELSTRA-GATEWAY [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 144.130.217.209
4 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms bundle-ether6.pie-core1.perth.telstra.net [203.50.6.212]
5 39 ms 39 ms 39 ms bundle-ether3.way-core10.adelaide.telstra.net [203.50.6.234]
6 52 ms 53 ms 53 ms bundle-ether16.exi-core10.melbourne.telstra.net [203.50.6.231]
7 63 ms 64 ms 64 ms bundle-ether12.chw-core10.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.11.124]
8 64 ms 66 ms 64 ms bundle-ether1.oxf-gw11.sydney.telstra.net [203.50.6.93]
9 64 ms 65 ms 65 ms bundle-ether1.sydo-core03.sydney.reach.com [203.50.13.98]
10 209 ms 209 ms 208 ms i-25703.siko-core01.telstraglobal.net [202.84.141.58]
11 206 ms 206 ms 206 ms i-0-2-1-0-1313-peer.siko02.pr.telstraglobal.net [134.159.125.233]
12 230 ms 228 ms 229 ms singtel-peer.siko02.pr.telstraglobal.net [134.159.125.234]
13 258 ms 258 ms 261 ms 203.208.171.21
14 261 ms 259 ms 261 ms 203.208.182.134
15 265 ms 266 ms 263 ms 203.208.145.234
16 260 ms 260 ms 259 ms 202.166.127.78

Trace complete.

---

For some stupid ass reason, rather than go:

WA -> Perth -> SMW3 -> Singapore

We go:

WA -> Perth -> Adelaide -> Melbourne -> Sydney -> Who knows where -> Singapore

This means the latency has gone from a normally playable 70-90ms to SEA, to over an unusable 250ms.

Obviously this mostly impacts gaming, but it also affects connections to websites where the biggest local cache is stores in south east asia.

This can't be a hard thing to fix, it used to work before, please fix this, I've been through multiple faults calls, complains department, and the TIO, no one wants to help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Routing to Singapore isn't going through SMW3 again, cable has no faults. High ping from WA to S

There is no guaranteed latency on consumer services. Once the new Indigo cable comes online things should improve. From my understanding the cable in question still has issues.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Routing to Singapore isn't going through SMW3 again, cable has no faults. High ping from WA to S

The w3 cable has had a physical fault since October. It's expected to be repaired mid February.

It can indeed be difficult to repair a submarine cable. It can also be very time consuming because it also involves waiting for cable laying ships to become available, provisioning it, and getting them out to the location of the fault to repair it. Also permits and approvals are required from other countries governments if the fault lies within their sovereign waters, of which there's no way for telecommunication companies, or the TIO, to force a foreign government to speed up the process
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Da_Bomber

Do we have some kind of transparency with the Indigo? I know it's Q1, but beyond that Telstra won't say squat.

If the only public records state Q1 then there isnt anything I can add.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Level 21: Augmented

is that what is killing my net......

all that traffic passing through on its way to sydney ...... geee taaa  pmsl

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Da_Bomber

The other weird thing with this is that getting a gaming based VPN like WTFast or other can significantly lower latency to Singapore, almost like the cable is working just fine... Typical Telstra going to come out once the indigo is online and go "hey your internet is faster now wow! look how good we did"

I am yet to see a VPN provider that is improving latency... All I have seen have made the latency worst... Can you provide some evidence of your claim, @Da_Bomber?
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

On a consumer services there is no guaranteed latency and your data still gets to its destination irrespective of which route it uses which is what you are paying for.

Full Disclosure:

The biggest problem is that Australia is a forgotten land by most of the gaming sites... Instead of harassing Telstra and other ISPs these gamers should harass their gaming providers to provide mirror servers in Australia...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Could be using vocus's new sub cable which they sole own and came online November I think.

Indigo has been physically connected since December off the top of my head. It's currently undergoing testing so I wouldn't expect it to be too much longer now.

Telstra's not the only telecommunications company or RSP that uses swm3, nor does it own the cable. It has a stake in it along with many companies. Same with indigo. But I don't doubt there will be many sighs of relief when the traffic can finally get moved off the ageing cable that seems to have a major fault every 6 months or so now.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Da_Bomber

WTFast moved my ping to SEA rocket league servers from 290 to 170, AVG moved my PUBG ping from 285 to 120 to SEA. I can get screenshots if you like.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more