CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Rubbish speeds on new HFC connection

Answered

About 2 weeks ago I finally got connected to the NBN via HFC. The modem is downstairs and my desktop PC is upstairs. I would have preferred the modem to be next to my PC, but I was assured that it would be fine. I did a speed test once everything was working, and got 12Mbps, which was a lot better than my ADSL connection. Since then, it has been consistently slow, ie 0.5 Mbps. I can't even watch a YouTube video. I was expecting to be able to have multiple web pages open continuously. I've enquired with Telstra today, and was advised to expect at least 25Mbps. At the moment my internet is unuseable. A bloke at my local Telstra shop suggested something about a SIM card not being switched over. Does this mean anything ? I suppose with all the connections happening something might have been missed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Rubbish speeds on new HFC connection

It could be your modem is working in backup mode which would be indicated by the online light being purple. In backup mode the speed will be throttled to 256Kbps if used for a extended period of time. This would indicate there is a fault with the NBN link.

If the modem is not in backup mode the slow speed might be due to bad WiFi reception were your PC is located. If the PC is connected to 5GHz band it might be faster if you switch to the 2.4GHz band which would be faster if there are several walls between the modem and the PC.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Rubbish speeds on new HFC connection

It could be your modem is working in backup mode which would be indicated by the online light being purple. In backup mode the speed will be throttled to 256Kbps if used for a extended period of time. This would indicate there is a fault with the NBN link.

If the modem is not in backup mode the slow speed might be due to bad WiFi reception were your PC is located. If the PC is connected to 5GHz band it might be faster if you switch to the 2.4GHz band which would be faster if there are several walls between the modem and the PC.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit