Mike_Turner
Level 1: Cadet

Rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house roof

Answered

Hi Guys.  I have a question about where the network boundary is in my house and the current rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house roof.

Background….   Recently had an issue arising from incorrect provisioning of the NBN service that recently replaced my old ADSL service.   Long story short, the old ADSL service was in the study and the new NBN service has been provisioned onto a socket in our kitchen.

All in home cabling is in place and there is a pair available for the line concerned from the junction box to the socket in the study.  However, that particular pair had been previously disconnected from the study wall socket at the junction box by a Telstra tech on a previous visit some years ago in an effort to reduce noise on the ADSL service.

So…..  Had a Telstra Platinum Tech home visit to undertake what I expected would be a simple re-wire at the junction box.  The tech was a great guy and very polite by the way.  However, he informed me that he was not allowed to climb onto the house roof to access the junction box.  Although previous tech visits I have had over the last 25 years in this house that required work on the junction box all involved the tech accessing said box from the roof.  And for information, this is a single story house.

This junction box was originally placed in the roof by telstra and in such a position that the only access to that box is via the roof and lifting a couple of roof tiles.  There is insufficient space in the roof cavity to access it otherwise.    Therefore, I have had to settle for a sub-optimal solution of leaving the NBN modem connected where it is and using Power Line adaptors to restore things like my network printer’s ethernet access in the study, albeit with reduced throughput courtesy of the adaptors.

So Questions…..    

1. Is my understanding correct that unless fitted with a Network Termination Device, the network boundary point is the first telephone point / socket wired inside the premises?
  2. Are Telstra techs now forbidden to climb onto a house roof?
  3. If so, then how does Telstra propose that it honours its obligation to provide service and/or fault rectification in my house where the only access to the required junction box is via that roof?
  4. If this is not the right forum in which to raise such questions, can you please advise contact details for the correct area within Telstra to provide answers to the questions asked.  As although my current issue has been partially resolved it was not resolved satisfactorily and additionally I have concerns over how any future faults requiring junction box access will be rectified.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house ro

Hello Mike,

The initial installation appears to have been before Telstra used outsourced contract technicians and  occupational health and safety wasn't an issue, which now attracts strict rules and procedures regarding climbing heights etc.

I doubt you will get specific answers in this forum due to multiplicity and complexity of your situation and current Telstra policies.

Possibly one of the moderators has access to these current policies and procedures.

Thank you

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house...

Hi Mike_Turner, 

Thanks for using Crowd Support. This would be a specific case related to your home and service and not something we could confirm here sorry. It would be best to address this with your case manager but if you have trouble reaching them please let us know. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Accepted Solution

Re: Rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house ro

Hello Mike,

The initial installation appears to have been before Telstra used outsourced contract technicians and  occupational health and safety wasn't an issue, which now attracts strict rules and procedures regarding climbing heights etc.

I doubt you will get specific answers in this forum due to multiplicity and complexity of your situation and current Telstra policies.

Possibly one of the moderators has access to these current policies and procedures.

Thank you

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I'm surprised that a Telstra tech came out to look at it if you are on the NBN. Are you sure that it wasn't an NBN Co Technician? They are the people who look after everything on the street side of the first phone point.

As far as roof access goes, under WHS Laws, they would need to be trained in height awareness and have the appropriate Working at Heights Safety gear (hence why NBN Co is trying to get all connections to be in ground) in order to access the Roof. Working off of ladders is frowned upon these days as there have been too many people injured or killed in falls (you are supposed to maintain 3 points of contact with the ladder at all times and need edge protection).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mike_Turner

Absolutely sure it was a Telstra Tech. Organised by Telstra’s complaints area, through Telstra Platinum Support; in a Telstra uniform, driving a Telstra vehicle. 

Anyway I suspect I know what the answers to my questions will be but it does t solve my issue or give me any confidence for resolving any future issues that may require roof access. 

@Mike_Turner wrote:

Absolutely sure it was a Telstra Tech. Organised by Telstra’s complaints area, through Telstra Platinum Support; in a Telstra uniform, driving a Telstra vehicle. 

Anyway I suspect I know what the answers to my questions will be but it does t solve my issue or give me any confidence for resolving any future issues that may require roof access. 

waldo1

@Mike_Turner wrote:

Hi Guys.  I have a question about where the network boundary is in my house and the current rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house roof.

Background….   Recently had an issue arising from incorrect provisioning of the NBN service that recently replaced my old ADSL service.   Long story short, the old ADSL service was in the study and the new NBN service has been provisioned onto a socket in our kitchen.

All in home cabling is in place and there is a pair available for the line concerned from the junction box to the socket in the study.  However, that particular pair had been previously disconnected from the study wall socket at the junction box by a Telstra tech on a previous visit some years ago in an effort to reduce noise on the ADSL service.

So…..  Had a Telstra Platinum Tech home visit to undertake what I expected would be a simple re-wire at the junction box.  The tech was a great guy and very polite by the way.  However, he informed me that he was not allowed to climb onto the house roof to access the junction box.  Although previous tech visits I have had over the last 25 years in this house that required work on the junction box all involved the tech accessing said box from the roof.  And for information, this is a single story house.

This junction box was originally placed in the roof by telstra and in such a position that the only access to that box is via the roof and lifting a couple of roof tiles.  There is insufficient space in the roof cavity to access it otherwise.    Therefore, I have had to settle for a sub-optimal solution of leaving the NBN modem connected where it is and using Power Line adaptors to restore things like my network printer’s ethernet access in the study, albeit with reduced throughput courtesy of the adaptors.

So Questions…..    

1. Is my understanding correct that unless fitted with a Network Termination Device, the network boundary point is the first telephone point / socket wired inside the premises?
  2. Are Telstra techs now forbidden to climb onto a house roof?
  3. If so, then how does Telstra propose that it honours its obligation to provide service and/or fault rectification in my house where the only access to the required junction box is via that roof?
  4. If this is not the right forum in which to raise such questions, can you please advise contact details for the correct area within Telstra to provide answers to the questions asked.  As although my current issue has been partially resolved it was not resolved satisfactorily and additionally I have concerns over how any future faults requiring junction box access will be rectified.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Rules affecting Telstra technicians and whether or not they are allowed to climb onto a house...

Hi Mike_Turner, 

Thanks for using Crowd Support. This would be a specific case related to your home and service and not something we could confirm here sorry. It would be best to address this with your case manager but if you have trouble reaching them please let us know. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now