Eddoras
Level 3: Gumshoe

SMW3 cable Repaired?

Hi

there are rumours that SMW3 has been fixed - finally. If so anyone know when Telstra will reinstate direct routing to Asia for Perth users rather than via East Coast?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 21: Augmented

Re: SMW3 cable Repaired?

I would not hold my breath on this. Indigo should be coming soon so there is not much pressure on Telstra to switch back to SWM3... Plus SWM3 is faulting so often nowadays, that it might not be worth going back on it only to find out there is a new fault. Plus, as you say, it is just rumour...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Repairs for original fault were completed on Sunday though it can take a little while before it will be ramped up to normal capacity while its being tested
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 25: The Singularity

On the upside, the weather in that part of the world is looking fairly calm.
So, barring ships, they might actually get it fully operational before the cable gets cut again this time.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Not a good time then to mention Segment 4.13 (near Mumbai) has a fault since last month?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

I'm pretty sure they found the location of the fault and are the ship is already enroute.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

Let's start taking bets on the chances of Telstra switching back to SMW3 or waiting for Indigo to go live...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Yeah they have and it is Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Eddoras

Thanks. So if INDIGO is the go so to speak when will it go live? I've heard Q1 but anything better than that?

I don't have the specific dates but it has been physically connected at both ends and is undergoing testing

Eddoras

So SMW3 definitely fixed acc to AARNET:

SUBJECT: [RESTORED] Unplanned Outage – Perth to Singapore Backbone Service – 26/10/18
SCOPE: Perth to Singapore Backbone Service
CORE NODES: sin-a-bdr1, wa-eper-pe1
START TIME: Friday 26 October 2018 22:13 AEDT (26 October 2018 11:13 UTC)
END TIME: Monday 18 February 2019 06:52 AEDT (17 February 2019 19:52 UTC)
DESCRIPTION:
Message #13 AARNet's third-party supplier has confirmed that repair works have been successfully completed. Perth to Singapore traffic has returned to normal.

So when will Telstra reroute Perth traffic?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now