CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Krystal-Moon
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Mobile Hotspot not giving Inernet

Answered

My Mum has a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on the 10 gig a month plan for $95 I believe, and I can set up the mobile hotspot on it, however, whenever I connect to it, on my phone, or computer, I get no internet access from it, and I do not know why. Its not the phone, I tested that with a different sim card. So what im wanting to know is, how can I fix this? or, is there something in this plan that is blocking access to mobile hotspots? (did not see this listed in the critical information on the plan)
Thannks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Mobile Hotspot not giving Inernet

Thanks for trying.

Have a chat to the team on the link provided above so we can check it out in more detail.

Be sure to grab a reference number and let me know how you go.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @Krystal-Moon,

There isn't anything plan related from blocking access to the Hotspot.

The better question to ask is if the phone can access the internet on the Mobile Network at all.
I'd also be interested in knowing if there is a difference between using the hotspot when the phone is connected to 3G rather than 4G.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Krystal-Moon

Yes, it has perfect access to the internet.
I believe there is no difference, but I cant remeber if her phone gets 4G or 3G at our house.
I went into Telstra when I first found the problem and got a new sim card, because that was the issue, but its still not working, I went back in immediatly after getting the new sim card to show them it wasnt working on my phone, they told me it was my phone, because one of there staff was connected to my mums hotspot, but I dont know if they actually accessed the internet or not with it, or just connected to the network and said it was working.
Im wondering if there some setting im missing or something, My phone is an Iphone 5, and my computer is Windows 10

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Krystal-Moon,

You may need to have a chat to the Mobile Tech Team so that account details can be provided and the provisioning of your service can be checked.

Without knowing the details of the service, this is a notoriously difficult thing to troubleshoot.

Out of curiosity, Are you able to activate the hotspot on your iPhone and it works?
If it works and you then move your SIM to your mums phones, is the hotspot still able to be activated and works on that phone?

- Matt

Krystal-Moon

All I know about her plan, is its the one I mentioned above, and her and my dad, are of a fleet plan, so they can share data with each other if one needs it. 
I dont know if my phones hotspot works, as my phone is pre-paid, and currently has no data, so I cant check if the internet works when its on. 
I know its not my mums phone, because I already tried that out with my dads sim in her phone, and the hotspot worked. 
I can change her phone so that it only connects to 3G, instead of both 3G and 4G, but I dont know if that will affect her data being a plan, so I havent attempted that yet.
My computer can connect to it, but it says 'no internet, secured' 
Also the error my phone gets, is something to do with the DNS, my computer just says im offline.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks @Krystal-Moon,

Changing the settings to 3G only won't affect the data plan, as we don't distinguish between 3G and 4G data. (eg, we don't have a 4G only data plan)
If you can try that would be great, however it does sound like something settings wise on the account is awry. 

You might need to contact the Mobile Tech Team via Live Chat or by calling 132200.

If calling, I'd recommend not calling from the service that has the fault.

- Matt

Krystal-Moon

Same thing on 3G, no internet, phone comes back with a DNS server issue, and computer troubleshooting says about DNS as well.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Thanks for trying.

Have a chat to the team on the link provided above so we can check it out in more detail.

Be sure to grab a reference number and let me know how you go.

- Matt

View solution in original post

Krystal-Moon

Alright, Quick question before I do that. My mum and dads phone are under a buisness name, so when we went in for a new sim, we needed permission from the buisness owner, wont I need the same thing here? or will they just be able to access it?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Technical access to Business Accounts run off an "Account Password"
Provided you know what that is, you should be ok.

- Matt

Krystal-Moon

Okay, I contacted them, got tech support, then got changed to a different consultant, then got changed to another one, and they refreshed the account and realigned my mums device , now it works

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

That's great news!

I'm glad that the fix was pretty simple and was identified as an issue at the account level.

A re-alignment is only needed if something wen't wrong in the initial set up of the account.

Sorry that getting to a fix was a difficult process, but I am glad we got there Smiley Happy

- Matt

Krystal-Moon

Its alright, im just glad someone thought to do it, and Thank You for your help as well, and not just telling me it was the phone, or my phone, like the store did that I went into about it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now