wessec
Level 1: Cadet

Security Alarm systems

Hi

I have a security alarm system that is connected to a security monitoring station via my existing hard eired copper phone line.

When I get the nbn what do i need to do to make sure i can still connect my system via the nbn network.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES
Technical Support
Technical Support

Re: Security Alarm systems

Hi wessec,

Firstly, you will need to contact your device's manufacturer/provider and ask if its compatible with Telstra services on the NBN.  
We've successfully tested a range of these security monitoring devices on Telstra's services on the NBN but as these  devices are all slightly different, we can't comment on the compatibility of specific ones.

Secondly, once assured that it will work, you can contact our Sales team (1800 993 728) and advise them you have a security monitoring station or back to base alarm so they can provision the service correctly.  Your best bet would be to order an IPPOTS service on a UNI-V port. 

More information about security monitoring station and medical alarms on the NBN can be downloaded here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/security-and-medical-alarms-on-the-nbn.pdf

Back to base security and medical alarms are often designed with an internal battery to support their operation in a power outage. Given that end users may rely on alarm services during a blackout it is important that steps are taken to ensure that the telephone service can also remain operational as long as practically  possible.

In order for these services to remains  operational during a power outage, NBN Co recommends using the UNI-V and NBN Co’s battery backup unit.  Although no battery backup solution is inexhaustible, the UNI-V can continue to be powered by the NBN Co battery backup unit for several hours after power is lost.

BenD

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

davp

Telstra tech's should be advised, that when customers unplug devices from phone sockets, that if they unplug the alarm it cuts the phone line, It took hours to realise this was what happened, luckily I got to cancel to service technicians before they made a home visit!

Tezza2

Helpful comment, but the link in it doesn't work.

Hi @Tezza2

Try this link:  Security alarms over the NBN

Regards

Deanna 

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more