Highlighted
Nath_B
Level 1: Cadet

Severe drop in NBN FTTN Speeds

Hi,

I signed up for the NBN when it was connected in my town from day 1 (June 2016).  I opted for the 50/20 speed boost through which I was achieving consistent and reliable speeds of around 42/14 even during peak times.  I was very happy with this speed and consistency.  

However after around 2 months of being connected my speeds dropped overnight to around 26/4.  After the usual exhaustive (3 weeks or more) process of telstra support, the issue was deemed to be caused by 'co-existence'.  No one could offer me a satisfactory explanation for the sudden drop in speed, even though the techs that I spoke with were telling me that my line rate was still capable of much faster speeds.

Most recently my speeds are consistently around 28/2 (with even slower uploads of just over 1Mbps UP) and my Telstra Gateway is showing me slower max line rates as well. The download speed reduction is disappointing but the upload speeds are what I need improved and are not acceptable for my daily use.  I fail to see how 'co-existence' could cause my upload speeds to drop from 14Mbps to mostly 1.5Mbps? 

My question is, has anyone else had a similar experience or received a reasonable explanation as to why, on a perfectly capable line, the speed has slowed so dramatically? Is there realistically anything that can be done about the situation?

I am considering starting another ticket with Telstra support but the process is so frustrating with generally the same results.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Brendonh1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Severe drop in NBN FTTN Speeds

Hi,

I have had a similar experience.

I have only had NBN FTTN connected for about 6 weeks now and speed started out at approximately 60 Mbps down and 27Mbps up on the 100/40 plan. Obviously the length of the copper to the node was the limiting factor, understand and accept that.

About 2 weeks after connection my speed suddenly reduced by about 20 percent to 48 Mbps down and 27Mbps up.

I'm still trying to get a answer from Telstra why my download speed has been reduced. They are trying to say it's due to co-existence though this doesn't work for me has my line stats have not changed, this indicates to me it is an internal networking constraint been applied by either NBN or Telstra

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Nath_B and Brendonh1

We do have information regarding plan speeds available on the following CrowdSupport page  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Broadband-Speeds-ADSL-Cable-NBN-and-Veloc...

As well as information on how to troubleshoot speed using this link  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/How-To-Troubleshoot-Speed-Issues/ta-p/27813...

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

smoothp20
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

The speeds you will experience will further depend on factors such as your distance from the node, the condition of the wiring leading to your home, the number and position of sockets in the home, your in‑home wiring and modem position.  If you are not happy with your speed, Telstra can work with you to improve this through Telstra Platinum (fees apply)

So if the external Telstra cabling is substandard, but you still get a service, Telstra is under no obligation to upgrade the lines, so you cannot  maximise your performance potential.

Good one Malcolm.

Nath_B

Hi KathleenC, 

is this an automated response? As it would appear that you have not read my original post.  Telstra have been telling me that my line is no longer capable of the speeds I was receiving when I initially signed up.  Nothing has changed on my side, my house is still the same distance from the node (unless I have been re-routed somehow differently, in which case I have not been informed) and the wiring in my newly built house is of the highest quality.

I have been through the same Telstra troubleshooting several times over the last 12 months.  I am taking up this issue again with Telstra in the hope of finding a satisfactory explanation as to the dramatic and now consistent loss of speed. Having proved that my line was capable of much faster speeds consistently, what has changed, and how can it be resolved? Considering I have evidence that the same FTTN connection 2 houses down from me is achieving consistent 5Mbps Upload, why is it not possible for me to achieve the same if not better, having previously seen upwards of 14Mbps on my connection?

Telstra referred the matter to NBN Co who I had to contact personally to find out the results of their investigation on my line as Telstra did not get back in touch with me after several weeks.  According to NBN their results cleared the line of any faults, Telstra then have a period of time to object to the findings, which they did not. The problem then appears to lie with Telstra.  

Reluctantly, at this point I am being left with little option but to officially complain and lodge the issue with the TIO and perhaps move to another provider

Kindest Regards

Nath_B

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Nathan,

The speeds available over NBN will vary and particularly with FTTN, there are a number of factors which can impact the speeds achieved.

Co-Existence means that there are ADSL and NBN services co-existing which can negatively impact each other. This will be a factor until the cut-off date and all services are switched over to the NBN.

As services switch over to the NBN, the increased demand means that all users may experience lower speeds during peak periods. Speeds would increase during off-peak period. We monitor for this and implement upgrades to address this. 

As you are on FTTN, the internal wiring of your home can have a larger impact on your service than when it was ADSL. If you have multiple phone sockets in your home, make sure that the modem is connected into the first phone socket and make sure that there is nothing connected to the additional sockets. If you aren't sure which one is the first one, try the modem in each outlet and monitor to see which provides you with the best experience.

As your issue is relating to the speed and the upload speed is also impacted, please confirm if those speed tests are being performed on a device connected to the modem via Ethernet cable and all other devices are disconnected from the modem or turned off. 

Are the speeds consistently slow day and night? 

Do the speeds improve if you restart the modem?

Have you tried returning your modem to factory defaults to see if this makes any improvement?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Nath_B

Hi Shelly, 

While I appreciate the time you have taken to respond, I have been through many such troubleshooting steps over the past 12 months, including more isolation tests than I can count on different systems independently, each time connected only via a verified working ethernet cable.  

I am aware of what Co-Existence is and its reasoning for slower speeds. I have never had a problem with congestion, my speeds are for the most part consistent at all times of the day and night. Telstra have performed what I was informed to be a bandwidth upgrade in May in my area, after which I saw no change in performance at all. There is another upgrade scheduled early next week, but as before, I will not likely see any performance increase on my connection.  I live in a brand new built residence (2 years old) which has high grade Cat6 cabling throughout with only 1 point of entry to the modem from a brand new constructed/installed pit and wiring in front of my house. This wiring and connection sustained much much higher speeds for nearly 2 months very consistently at all times of the day.

I have had a Telstra tech to my house to confirm that the problems are not on my end.  

Restarting the modem, when I do have a dropout, only improves the speed back to their consistently slow numbers. Re-setting it to factory defaults has no effect on speed and is also very frustrating as I have to re-configure my entire home network every time.  This is my second fully functioning modem that Telsra have provided me.

Co-existence and other limiting factors like distance to the node etc, doesn't even answer the most basic question of why a house 2 doors down can achieve almost double my upload speed consistently, under the same co-existence conditions with the same provider and modem. Let alone why I have gone from 14Mbps to less than 3Mbps in upload speed over nearly 12 months. 

The initial and most dramatic speed drop coincided with the installation of what i was told was a new joint less than 20m from my house by NBN? The pit was open for weeks, after which time i notice the drop from 40/14 to 28/7 and for the past 6 months 28/3 at best.  I have made mention of this previously but am no closer to a resolution.  

If it was somehow a change made to the connection by NBN Co that has resulted in this loss of speed, who is responsible for fixing any changes that have severely degraded my service? 

I am once again following this up through Telstra starting today, in the hope of an answer that is not the standard scripted response. My biggest concern now is that I'm relying on Telstra pushing NBN to fix this issue, as I am not able to speak with NBN directly.  I am trying to exhaust every possible solution before I contemplate the option of a fibre connection to my premises, and the thousands that will cost. 

TLDR; Thanks for your time in response, it is appreciated, but it was sadly in no way relevant or helpful to my situation, with respect.

Kindest Regards

Nath_B

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now