Highlighted
maatsby
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sign in to wifi network

Answered
I am reposting this issue because the original thread has been archived (https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Sign-in-to-wifi-network/m-p/802860)

We have Telstra Cable with supplied modem and router. We are constantly being asked to "sign in to wifi network", the same way it would at a hotel or shopping centre.
Once I sign in, I'm taken to the modem interface which says everything is working just fine. So I try to navigate to a webpage from there and I get redirected back to the modem dashboard.

The only way to fix it is to factory reset.

It is ridiculous that the issue remains unresolved. Any bright ideas? Anyone having a similar issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Sign in to wifi network

I don't know of any reason why it might happen with that particular model modem. It could be a faulty modem. What you could try is setting a custom DNS on one of the device connected to your network (example 8.8.8.8), disable IPV6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 state) and next time problem occurs see if it also effects the device with a custom DNS.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22

Which version of the Gen 2 modem do you have? There are two a Technicolor DJA0231 and a Arcadyan LH1000.
maatsby

Thanks for the reply, it is a Technicolor DJA0231
Accepted Solution

I don't know of any reason why it might happen with that particular model modem. It could be a faulty modem. What you could try is setting a custom DNS on one of the device connected to your network (example 8.8.8.8), disable IPV6 in the modem (Advanced > Local Network > IPv6 state) and next time problem occurs see if it also effects the device with a custom DNS.

maatsby

Thanks for the reply. I've added the custom DNS, and now we wait.

What would it mean if every other device stopped working but the one with the custom DNS still works? How does that pinpoint the problem?

It will prove that the modem is faulty and what function of the modem is causing the problem.

Normally devices that don't have a custom DNS send WEB address (example google.com) to the the modem which then should send the WEB URL of the WEB site to Telstra's DNS for translation into the IP address of the WEB site, The data packets from the device are then sent to the WEB site.

Devices with a custom DNS send the WEB URL of a WEB site directly to the custom DNS for translation into the IP address of the WEB site, the data packets from the device are then sent to the WEB sit.

If the device with a custom DNS can still access the WEB site but other devices are directed to modems GUI then either Telstra's DNS server is faulty or modem is faulty. You have already established that factory reseting modem fixes the problem therefore it must be the modem that is faulty.

maatsby

Cool, good explanation, thanks. I'll wait and see how it goes
maatsby

Ok, so the problem recurred tonight. The device with the custom DNS is still working (sending this message on it right now) while all other devices are requesting a sign in.

What does this mean now? Do I set a custom DNS on all devices? Or is there a setting in the modem I can change?

If you have the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2 modem you could try setting a custom DNS in the Advanced > Local Network settings. If you have a Technicolor modem you will have to set an custom DNS on all devices, which could be a problem as on some devices such as the Telstra TV you cannot set a custom DNS.

One thing you could do is connect the TP link modem to one of the Telstra modem's LAN ports,.set a custom DNS in the TP link modem, Set TP -Link in DMZ of Telstra modem and connect all devices to TP-Link modem.

Best solution is to convince Telstra that there is a problem and for them to provide a solution such as another modem.

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Did you disable IPV6 as suggested by @cf4
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

maatsby

Yes I did also disable IPV6

Maybe Telstra could supply me with an Arcadyan version of the modem, see if it happens again, then set the custom DNS on the modem, rather than trying to ensure all of the smart devices in the house will also work. Maybe I just have to wait until they release a Gen 3 modem

I would not recommend swapping the Technicolor modem for the Arcadyan. The Technicolor modem is a much better modem.

John0456
Level 2: Rookie

That's one of the reasons we changed to Optus and have had no issues or problems which required us to call support. Everything worked the way it meant to when we plugged in the modem. When we were with Telstra, we resolved the same problem by clearing the browser history and cookies. BTW this was suggested by an Optus employee!!
John0456

The simple remedy is to first clear all your browser history and cookies, then reset the modem. Worked for us, but since Telstra had no idea has what to do, among other issues, we changed to Optus and have had no issues. In fact they offer a full refund is not satisfied with their service. Try getting a refund from Tel$tra!!!
maatsby

Clearing our browser history and resetting the modem (or the old "have you turned it off an on again") were obviously the first things we tried when this problem started months ago, and it didn't work. Also, devices that don't have browser histories or cookies like foxtel and the smart TV didn't work. Thinking back, Google Home worked so maybe that's because it was accessing the internet through the 8.8.8.8 DNS (would it do that?)

A factory reset was needed every time, which became very annoying as I didn't want to bother changing the wifi name and password several times per week.

It was definitely something to do with the modem itself, and since the DNS suggestion described above seemed to work, I think that confirms it.

Perhaps your issue was resolved with Optus because you're using their modem.
John0456

Actually we were still with Telstra at the time and using the modem they currently supply. Perhaps you should be honest with you customers and you won't lose as many. We haven't had that problem with Optus, who provide a superior product and have support personnel who know what they're talking about. Your response is inaccurate and misleading.

@John0456 wrote:
The simple remedy is to first clear all your browser history and cookies, then reset the modem. Worked for us, but since Telstra had no idea has what to do, among other issues, we changed to Optus and have had no issues. In fact they offer a full refund is not satisfied with their service. Try getting a refund from Tel$tra!!!

Clearing browser history had already been tried and in this case did not work. The only method that worked was reseting the modem. Resetting the modem is not an acceptable solution especially if the  problem is occurring frequently, that is why I suggested changing the DNS which seems to have fixed the problem.

GordoThwaite

I'm having this same issue, and whilst this thread seems to be marked 'answered' I can't see the actual solution.

I have tried both Gen1 and Gen2 Routers, and the same issue exists.... I believe the issue is with the Cable Modem also - resetting just the cable modem seems to work.

The other curious thing is that the '4G Backup' doesn't cut in, I guess because the modem is 'still there' - even though it has no internet connectivity until reset.

I have to reset my setup once every 1-2 days. So Sick of this issue.
maatsby

I marked the answer regarding setting a custom DNS as the solution, because when the problem recurred the laptop with a custom DNS could still connect to the internet. So the plan from my end has been to change the DNS on devices where I can, and otherwise just factory reset the modem every time it happens so the rest of the devices can reconnect. I can't seem to change the DNS in the modem itself because there's no option for that on this model. So I'm also just waiting for a new model of modem to come out.

I agree about the 4G backup not coming in, it's probably because the modem still thinks its connected to the internet.

I would encourage other people with this problem to post here about it. Maybe someone from Telstra will read it and realise that it's not an isolated problem
GordoThwaite

Thanks, I continue to have the issue and can not manualy adjust DNS on numerout devices on my network.  Tearing my hair out.

It's to the point where I plan to put a 'timer' on the Cable modem, to cycle power to it ever day (i.e. at 5am) to try and stop the issue from affecting me!

frank101

I get the same calls, asking to press one otherwise internet will be disconnected withing 24 hours.. it never happens and that Telstra would send a letter out if there was a real need to switch over to the NBN.. still not available where I live, was told by their letter.. it will soon be here.. last year... other streets in my town have the NBN.. but not mine.. and that I live in the general CBD 3 blocks from the post office.. so when ever I get that call I laugh at them because they don't know how it's been.. as that Telstra drags their feet on the NBN even when they keep putting up the phone rental charges for the line when I don't use their phone to make any calls.. NBN my arse.

maatsby

I've been getting this issue much more frequently in the past couple of weeks, it's getting quite ridiculous how often we're resetting the modem.

Have you found cycling the power has actually helped you? I'm going to start doing the same now, but in the past I've found simply switching it off and on doesn't fix it, I need to factory reset the modem each time.

Will someone from Telstra come up with a solution for this non-isolated problem? Is a new generation modem coming any time soon?

Mkrtich
Level 10: Junior Detective

Hi - just some clarifications and in case this helps - are you able to associate the request you are being presented with to the Telstra Modem - "We are constantly being asked to "sign in to wifi network", the same way it would at a hotel or shopping centre" - is there anything to confirm this is coming from the Router or some error code information? Does this same challenge and window format of the event come up from all Wi-Fi devices on your network? 

I had a similar but not identical experience troubleshooting my 97 year old friend's Technicolor DJA0231 FW 18.1.c 0347-950-RC last week. Any entry into his LAN connected Windows 7 PC's Google Chrome Browser reconnected me back to the Modem's Home Screen and he had no previous reason to connect to his modem's IP address or mymodem name. I think it said "Err Too Many Redirects". Connecting through Wi-Fi on the Safari browser in my iPhone 5 sent it into a Loopback Error with resultant empty screen. "Hotspot Loc-In Cannot Open the Page because of too many redirects occurred". A first for me any Apple device I own - connection attempt seemed to confuse the Apple, as Hotspot is not a name usually assigned to a target router SSID. Went off Wi-Fi into 3G mode and could connect to the Internet trouble free - so did not suspect Safari.  

Changed DNS to Google's Server - no change , still redirects to Home Screen. Powered down of Arris HFC Modem didn't alter outcome, then Powered Down Technicolor also did not change outcome. I did a GUI Reset (it may have been a Factory Default), still had the same problem. Then went into Google Chrome/Settings/Advanced Settings/Clear Cache Data - that pacified it and was able to connect to the Internet on LAN. I then went into Safari iPhone and cleared out its cache and then was able to connect to the internet on Wi-Fi. 

I have never experienced this type of error anytime before in my using the Internet since it was invented, so it was surprise to me. I can't help feel that something in the Technicolor may have contributed to the Loop Back Error's sudden presence, however I am not familiar with my friends browsing history and whether a gremlin has somehow snuck in through his previous web connections that has played havoc with the Technicolor or his PC or my iPhone Settings. I have not been able to follow up with him this week to make sure it has been a permanent fix as he is absent from his home. Will re-confirm when I visit him next time.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now