CrowdSupport®
Ram007
Level 2: Rookie

Slow ADSL2+ Speed but only 1km from exchange.

Answered
Hi I currently upgraded from ADSL1 to 2+. My speeds on ADSL were 6.5Mbps/0.3Mbps. After upgrading the speed only went up a little bit. I currently am receiving 7.7Mbps/0.85Mbps.(Speeds from speedtest.net) I live around 900m-1km from the exchange but get slow speeds and I am on the Elite ADSL2+ up to 20Mbps 500GB plan. I have a Technicolour TG587n v3 modem which stats I am receiving 9.100Mbps/1.024Mbps. I have had a tech come to my house and check all sockets and wiring as well as outside pits and connections. I dont know why I am receiving such slow speeds when I know I can receive much faster speeds. Anyone help?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TonyInTsv
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow ADSL2+ Speed but only 1km from exchange.

When you say that your speeds are constantly changing do you mean speed test results or the Sync rate you listed in the modem stats page?

If you are on a congested DSLAM your speed test results will vary but your sync rate should remain roughly the same (+/- 3-400)

If your sync rate changes, this could indicate that there is a fault somewhere, either in the network, or inside.

The "hidden pit" across the road is probably no longer being used, hence the consultant telling you your closest pit is up the road. The conduit probably collapsed years ago and rather than dig a new trench it was decided to put the line overhead instead.

Having over head wires is only an issue when a storm comes through and causes tree branches to pull them down or a tip truck comes past with the back still up and pulls them down.

You may be 900m from the exchange as the crow flies but to paraphrase my grandfather, phone lines are not crows.

Your neighbor may be getting higher speeds than you because they are connected to a DSLAM that is not congested. call 133933 and ask them if they can tell you if you are on a congested DSLAM. If they say you are, ask them what DSLAM you are on.

Download
http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/dslam-software-upgrade-schedule.xls

See if your DSLAM is on this list, if it is, It should tell you when the backhaul will be upgraded.
I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
34 REPLIES 34
Support Team
Support Team

Heya Ram007,

Welcome to CrowdSupport. Smiley Wink

Appreciating your concerns with the speeds you are achieving with your BigPond® ADSL 2+ Broadband service, however, the speeds you have provided are actually quite good and definitely faster than some other member's connections.

I can confirm BigPond Elite ADSL plans can provide download speeds of up to a maximum of 20Mbps to eligible customers in selected areas.

However, average speeds will be lower and actual speeds vary due to a number of factors including network configuration, line quality and length, your exchange, your location, internet traffic, your equipment and software.

What this means to you is that there could be a number of factors that could directly impact your access speeds.

Presuming the technician had found no fault within the sockets, wiring, outside pits and connections; and the fact that you do have our Premium Home Network Gateway modem, there's really nothing more we can do to ensure that you do receive faster speeds.

With speeds like yours, you're one of the lucky one's my friend. Smiley Wink

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 21: Augmented

Hi Ram007,

I'd judge you either have older copper lines or you're in a congested area, assuming that the tech checked everything properly. The sync rate you get on your modem is what it syncs to the port with and the speeds you get on a speed test are speeds you get to whatever website server you're testing it on. There will always be at least 10% difference in my experience.

Renee has covered pretty much everything but if you're worried technical support can definately give the line another look over on 133 933 or if you raise a fault via the BigPond website.
Lathania

Hi, thanks for replying. I don't understand how I can receive around 7Mbps when I live around 900m from the exchange and tell me that the connection is very good when the plane stats that it is up to 20Mbps, knowing I cant get 20 but should be receiving higher than 7. If people in my street are synching at higher rates what would be the problem. I have called technical support and they tell me that's the fastest I can get. Rubbish, I am very frustrated , how can you say 7Mbps is good when your like 900m from the exchange. I am probably and will take this to the TIO unless someone does something about my issue. Whether is forum or Telstra. If not I will escalate this to the TIO.

Hi Ram,

Can you tell me what your next door neighbour gets on a speed test?
Lathania

My modem stats:

DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5                    

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1.021 / 9.487

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:2,11 / 13,67

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,1 / 19,2

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:21,6 / 35,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:11,6 / 6,0

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----  

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0                                                                                                             

Loss of Link (Remote):-                                                                                                                              

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):8 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0                                                                                                              

CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 10

HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 16

My speeds constantly change each time i connect. Sometimes 3/4Mbps 6/7Mbps and 8Mbps which is the highest it goes. I did find a hidden pit across (inside was full of water) my house as well as have a look at the pole my overhead cable connects to, the black box looks very old and cobs webs and long tear and wear so I reported it to Telstra and  techie coming to fix tomorrow. I also rang up and one of the employees asking for the closest pit to my house they said on your side its 7 houses away, and that there is one across your house which is closest to the pole our overhead cable is connected to. Then she said that the overhead cable could be possibly converted underground, due to the fact that the closest pit on my side of the street is 7 houses away and that where the underground cabling stops. Would underground cable make a difference? And Is there any way to replace the old copper lines?\

Add would anyone be able to tell me when Greenvale(GRLE Exchange) is getting NBN(Fibre Optic)?

First of all http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

Secondly, paragraphs please thats really hard to read xD

Do you know what your neighbours are getting?
Lathania

Are my modem stats right  ? My speeds constantly change each time i connect. Sometimes 3/4Mbps 6/7Mbps and 8Mbps which is the highest it goes.

Yesterday I did find a hidden pit across my house which was full of water and also had  a look at the pole my overhead cable connects to, the black box looks very old ,cobwebs, and looked very dodgy  and weared out. So I decided to report to Telstra were a tech is coming tommoeow to fix it.

I also rang up and one of the employees asking for the closest pit to my house they said on your side its 7 houses away, and that there is one across your house which is closest to the pole our overhead cable is connected to.

Then she said that the overhead cable could be possibly converted underground, due to the fact that the closest pit on my side of the street is 7 houses away and that where the underground cabling stops.

She said they would most likely dig and build a pit infront of my house and I am waiting for Telstra to call if I can convert or not.

Would converting to underground cabling and fixing of the pit and pole fix my speed issue on ADSL2+? And is there a way to fix the old copper line?

Would underground cable make a difference? And Is there any way to replace the old copper lines?

Your stats seem ok but its dependent on your location and distance from the exchange. Do you know what your neighbours are getting =P
Lathania

My neighbour is currently receding around 12-15Mbps. What the heck ? I live around 1km from the exchange.
TonyInTsv
Accepted Solution

When you say that your speeds are constantly changing do you mean speed test results or the Sync rate you listed in the modem stats page?

If you are on a congested DSLAM your speed test results will vary but your sync rate should remain roughly the same (+/- 3-400)

If your sync rate changes, this could indicate that there is a fault somewhere, either in the network, or inside.

The "hidden pit" across the road is probably no longer being used, hence the consultant telling you your closest pit is up the road. The conduit probably collapsed years ago and rather than dig a new trench it was decided to put the line overhead instead.

Having over head wires is only an issue when a storm comes through and causes tree branches to pull them down or a tip truck comes past with the back still up and pulls them down.

You may be 900m from the exchange as the crow flies but to paraphrase my grandfather, phone lines are not crows.

Your neighbor may be getting higher speeds than you because they are connected to a DSLAM that is not congested. call 133933 and ask them if they can tell you if you are on a congested DSLAM. If they say you are, ask them what DSLAM you are on.

Download
http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/download/document/dslam-software-upgrade-schedule.xls

See if your DSLAM is on this list, if it is, It should tell you when the backhaul will be upgraded.
I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
Xterminat
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there RAM007,

Are you 900 metres from the exchange the way the crow flies (Direct from your place to the Exchange) or are you 900 metres going down the streets from pillar to pillar to the exchange.

That would make a reasonable difference to your distance from the exchange.

I know at my place I get about 9.6 Mbits Down and about .73 Mbits Up but that varies a lot on the time of the day, network congestion etc etc. Sometimes I only get 5. Don't forget that the 20Mbit is only really theoretical and probably only achievable if you were sitting right on top of the exchange.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards

Mark

Ram007

Before I start I did an Isolation test and found 1 faulty socket in my home. After doing so I recognised that my sync speed has increased a bit.

Before it was around: 1.001/9.580  and after removing the filter and telephone 1.017 / 9.942. But when I remove the the other telephone and just leave my modem connected to the one socket unfiltered I receive :1.020/10.109.

A Telstra Tech is coming in tomm to resolve all my issues hopefully, as I have complained about my speed on ADSL2+. As the guy said I should be receiving faster than that. If not resolved  I will take to TIO.

The GRLE exchange has had  backhaul relief last done on January 2011. No DSLAM upgrades are shown.

My aerial-lead in cable is frayed and not straight, is this a issue? It connects to the pole across my house and goes down into a black box named "PMG"  and it looks bad in condition. What is that called ? Then it goes into the ground and next to the pole is where the hidden pit was. Telstra has replaced the lit and maintained it as that's where the cables goes underground.

How and If  I was to move to a non-congested DSLAM theoretically  would I receive better sync speeds?

TonyInTsv

As I said in my post, congestion wont affect your sync speed. It will only affect actual speed. Sync speed is determined by the Type of DSLAM you are connected to, the Type of modem you are connecting on your end, and the Attenuation you are getting through your line. If a stability profile has been added this will affect your sync speed because frequencies that are unstable on your line are cut out to make the service more stable. In effect trading speed for stability. Quite often when a service is downloading slower than the sync speed suggests it should, adding a stability profile will increase the download speed. Firstly though make sure you don't have your modem profile set to "Fast" on the BigPond website.
Log into your account on the BigPond website. Click on the “BigPond Elite Liberty* (XXXGB) – ADSL2+” link at the top, just above your username. Its in big blue letters.

In the next screen, go to the configuration tab and make sure the dot is in standard. If it is in Fast, change it to standard. Having interleaving turned off can and does cause packet loss. and lots of it.
Ram007

Telstra Techie came today and replaced the faulty socket. Check house sockets and outside wiring to the pole. All done in about 1 hour. He fixed up the issue of sync speeds and found that the faulty speeds where from the faulty socket and told me that he would move me to a non-congested new and faster DSLAM to improve sync speeds.

I found out I was on a stability profile and I requested to take it off and put on the best one which they did  and I have a very stable connection (rarely have dropouts) and have an faster sync speed.(no random syncs anymore)

After the Tech leaving my DSL dropped out for 2 mins and reconnected only to find that the synce speed was much faster even with the other sockets fitered which the Tech fixed.

I currently receive between : 1.020/9.900 to 1.020/10.220 and the issue with random sync speeds was fixed as well.
Speedtest.net says im getting around 9.0Mbps Download and 0.86Mbps Upload with about 50ms ping

Techie said my property is 2.3-2.5km from the exchange but 1km physically. Attenuation is 35dB and SN is 6dB.

He told my the conduit on the pole didn't look right and told me he would fix it, but then got in his car and drove off.?

But in conclusion Telstra fixed my ADSL2+ which was at start 6.7Mbps/0.7Mbps to about 9Mbps/0.85Mbps, fixed the dropouts, faulty sockets, set my profile to the fastest and made my happy just as I was about to take it to the TIO.

aussieAndo

Hi Ram007,

Mate im having the exact same problem as you but even worse im on the Bigpond elite liberty 500GB a month plan and i get max 9mbps download ( thats at 2am)  2-3mbps during day / night. can you post up here if they fix this problem. ive spoken to bigpond for houors over the phone but only get indian people and all they say is 3mbps is a good download speed. bull**bleep** thats a good speed when i pay over $100 a month.

TELSTRA PLEASE FIX YOUR INTERNET ISSUES

aussieAndo

did it cost anything for him to come out?? which number did you call to get in contact?
Ram007

Hi, aussieAndo

It seems to me by the way you saying it that your exchange/DSLAM seems to be congested. Considering you are receiving high speeds at non-peak times and very slow speeds during peek times. What exchange are you connected to ?

Also post your modem stats for me so I can have a look for you.

But the problem could be at your end possibly. Do a Isolation Test on your home to see if there any faulty telephone sockets in your house. If you do find one, that can cause the speed issues.

When I complained about my speed to Telstra they directed me to a technician. After that they send a tech to the exchange to check our line and see if there was a problem . FInding no issues, they called us and sent a technnician to our house as they said that he issue is most likely from the faulty socket I mentioned to them by performing the isolation test.

They said if the Tech doesn't find an issue with the house they charge $120, where if he fixes something resolving the issue it's free. I also told him to change us from stablity profile to the fastest one and put us on the fastest and less congested machine at the exchange

After 2 weeks Telstra send us a brand new modem as the old one died out so we got a replacement one for free. The modem is a TG782T. We are receiving speeds way faster then before. I receive about 10.5Mbps All day with no dropouts at all.
wayne1977

thats because telstra is conjested and they wont spend the cash to upgrade exchanges <removed inappropriate content>

tomk234

Hi there.
I live in Sunbury 3429, and have had very slow download and upload speeds from our ADSL2+ plan for over a year now.
Here are the details:
Line speed is 2.58 Mbps (2578 kbps).
Download speed is 322 KB/s (0.31 MB/s).

Upload speed is kbps: 667.14
                           KB/s: 83.39
                           Mbps: 0.67
Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 10:39:09
DSL Type:ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:846 / 3.344
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:593,29 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12,6 / 20,4
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:21,5 / 38,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:7,5 / 5,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote):BDCM / GSPN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):-
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):777 / 29
FEC Errors (Up/Down):37 / 8.296.481
CRC Errors (Up/Down):13 / 326
HEC Errors (Up/Down):53 / 523

I have recently got off the phone to technical support, but to my surprise they were of no assistance. It is not the modem as we purchased a Telstra modem a few months ago. I am also ~1km from my exchange. Can someone please tell me what wrong?
Thanks,
Tom

axl

I get 4mbps down speed, that's it. Uplink is pathetic at 368kbps. Brand new service, brand new equipment, not happy Jan.

JustinB
Level 11: Detective

Hi axl,

Have you spoken to our tech support team on 133933 about your upload speed at any point?  It may be the fastest speed available in your area given your listed download speed, but they can certainly check this and confirm for you, and organise a fix for this if if this isn't the case.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Baddybabbab,

I have edited your post to remove the bulk of the text as it is just a direct copy from an article.

There are a number of factors that affect the speeds that you can achieve on and ADSL service outside of network operations, including the distance from the exchange, the quality of the line, the equipment at either end of the connection, transmission loss, and factors on your computer (malware etc)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Baddybabbab
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yes it is a copy from an article but tells us the truth about ISP. Regarding your commets, yes of course I agree with you but it has become a bit old fashion the excuse of the distance from the exchange. the reality is what ISP do to control our speed and how they manipulate the system. But I agree with yourr comments. 

My friend has a bussiness and the exchange is 2 minutes away from his Busssiness and still gets slow speed and he is usung the lastes comuters and faste processor and a very good and proffessonal Modem suppy by Telstra. 799vac max.

I partially agree with you

Baddybabbab

Baddybabbab

go to google.com.au and read the following since the moderator didn't let me help you gays here.
here is the Link. http://www.netequalizer.com/files/eBooks/The_Story_of_NetEqualizer.pdf
Baddybabbab

Hi there again. It might be quite good in your opinion but it wan't do any good the customer who need more speed. What you just said is your opinion and not that of the customer
Baddybabbab

Dear Ashley. I just want to let you know that I have had lost of problems with bigpond and the issue of speed is biggest. I will be honest with you. I was told that the speed I was getting was good and that I should be happy with it since other customers get less. But let me tell you something, after doing research and since I have friends that work for bigpond I was able to improve my speed. Now from 12 MB/ps I have 19.19. so if they told me that they could not improve the speed any further how come now I got more than I was requesting??

With all due respect
Badybabbab
Baddybabbab

To the Moderator. I had a telstra platinum tech here today to setup my new Gateway Modem 799vac. However, after expending more than tow hours he wan't able to set it up and it wan't due to lack of expertise. We both knew what the problem was. Bigpond puts a limit on their routers before they send them to their customers, that's why people get slow connection. If bigpond would be more transparent in dealing with their customer and telling them the truth we all will be very happy. But as always money supersede service. The 977vac Modem is useless since it has been programme with speed restriction. I am using a modem that I cracked to get this hideous rubbish that bigpond uses to limit people's speed. Oh! regarding the 799vac Modem it going straight to my rubbish bin. Don't you love bigpond honesty je je je
Baddybabbab

Ashley you are back online. just another note.

To the Moderator. I had a telstra platinum tech here today to setup my new Gateway Modem 799vac. However, after expending more than two hours he wan't able to set it up and it wan't due to lack of expertise. We both knew what the problem was. Bigpond puts a limit on their routers before they send them to their customers, that's why people get slow connection. If bigpond would be more transparent in dealing with their customer and telling them the truth we all will be very happy. But as always money supersede service. The 977vac Modem is useless since it has been programme with speed restriction. I am using a modem that I cracked to get this hideous rubbish that bigpond uses to limit people's speed. Oh! regarding the 799vac Modem it going straight to my rubbish bin. Don't you love bigpond honesty je je je
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Baddybabbab

Please be advised that posts on Crowdsupport are not replied to instantly by moderators or Telstra staff.

To address your comments, modems provided by Telstra/BigPond do come with specialised firmware, however programming them with a speed limit not something we do. 

The speed achieved over ADSL is dependent upon a number of factors, some include:
  • Type of network equipment and cabling
  • Length of network cabling between your premises and the ADSL DSLAM
  • Internal cabling and filtering
  • Capabilities of the modem and computer/devices
  • Number of devices connected to the modem at the same time
  • If connected via WiFi or LAN cable
  • Which processes are running on each device eg: cloud services, file sharing, virus activity etc.
Due to these factors, there is no guaranteed speed, however speeds below 1 Mbps will be investigated.  The following link provides further information on how to confirm the speed available to your modem, http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

The Whirlpool website, which is not associated in anyway to Telstra, has a good article that explains the relationship between attenuation, cable distance and speed which you can find here: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/dslam_speeds.

- Ben D

Baddybabbab

???????

Dear Moderetaor. You have not address my coments fully regarding the 799vac modem. I have a proffessional tech today who could not set it up properly and he said and I qoute " Bigpond doesn't tell us everything and it would be useless to make any more testing to get the speed you cuntently have. I am not able to get the speed you have with modem you are using let alone get the speed is doing  end qoute" 

So he just said sorry and said just keep using the one you have since the speed is so good. Having a tech such as the one I have here today required me to pay for, but since he could not seting it up I don't have to pay a thing is all documented in my account.:smiley happy:

Regards

Badybabbab

Baddybabbab

With speeds like yours, you're one of the lucky one's my friend

In rspond to you coment egarding my speedI must say that luck has nothing to do with it. Is bipond high responsability to ensure that paying customers get the best service and respect they deserve.

People are tired of bigpond not updaating those 40 yeras old exchanges and other infrestructures that is in great need of a good upgrade. bigpond has the money to upgrade their services, but they don't want to spend it. They just want to make money with the 40 year old rubbish they have while customers suffer slow speed. I find so unethical that bigpond continues to add more customers when they very well know that those  40 year old systems can't handle more users.

Here is where the trades off comes into the picture. I have written about them before so I found no need to do it again. what bigpond need to do is to stop been so money driven and start thinking about their customers need more than the mighty Dollar but the solution is to !!UPGRAE NOW!!!

Come on bigpond upgrade you 40 odd year old system so customers cann enjoy what you promise. You push so hard on your promotions. stop spending money on advertasing and use it to realy creat a system worthy of your name.

Babybabbab

AlpayDr

I live in Greenvale , Melbourne and frustrated Telstra customer with very low internet speed. I am working as a GP and unable to connect my surgery to do any work due to erractic connection of internet.  Especially upload speed is appaling.  If I need to do anything, I needs to connect via my phone's internet.(4G)  I have contacted technical support twice over the last 6 weeks.  They chnaged several times wireless channels in the settings etc.  Nothing chnaged.!  Now I am off the phone and techincal support says that they can only help me with download speeds but not the uploads???!! If you need I can provide speed test results as an Excel sheet

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Alpay, 

Im sorry to hear that you are having issues with your internet speeds. I know this can be very frustrating and I apologise for the inconvenience.

I have run a search on your area and I cannot see any planned or unplanned outages listed.

(You can check to see if there is an outage in your area by entering your postcode and suburb in our service status checker: http://tel.st/6x6a)

Please powercycle your modem and computer: Unplug from power > Leave off for 10 - 15 mins > then Plug back in and re start. This will often force a line update through to your modem advising the signal is restored.

If you still have issues after powercycling, please go through the Broadband Troubleshooting Tool: https://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/cares/

Otherwise to assist you with further troubleshooting this for you to see what is causing this issue, please speak to our Technical support team. You can contact them on 133933 or you can also contact them via our Live chat service here: http://tel.st/49kl

However if you have already spoken to Tech Support and cannot get this resilved, please speak to our Telstra Platinum service. 

You can get in touch with our Telstra Platinum IT Support on 132200 and say "Telstra Platinum"

What is Telstra Platinum?  - https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/platinum

Regards – Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

truthsayer
Level 6: Bloodhound

it means the exchange is broken and they can dish out what ever speed they have the power to shape
when they said eg up to 25 or 29 mbps seconds it mean anything from 0.5 mbps they can dish out to you .... who told me why tech support did they have the power

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now