CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ursine99
Level 3: Gumshoe

Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Answered

Why is it that I can bearly achieve download speeds of up to 2.5Mbps (today max. 1.04Mbps) when ADSL2+ is advertised as having speeds of up to 20Mbps? Last night I contacted Telstra technical support and the very sympathetic support person agreed that the speed was extremely low and, after testing to confirm the appalling speeds, escalated the problem to a higher level. Today, I received pleasant phone calls from friendly technicians that they are testing the line but have not been able to determine any problem and that, because I live 1km from the exchange, the speeds that I am obtaining are "way above the minimum standard"! How can the minimum standard be so low!!! To make matters worse, I was left a very pleasant message that I was also being charged an amount of $120 because I had requested a service that was not required as no fault was found. "Hope you have a Happy New Year". I refuse to pay this amount and demand faster download speeds which, after all, is merely what I pay for.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ursine99
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Thanks for the advice, it was very informative. I think when I contacted technical support I may have been mislead by the support person when she agreed that my speeds were very low and kept mentioning a "reslution to the problem" which may have lead me to believe that the speeds would be greatly increased by some intervention by Telstra after the so called problem was resolved. As it turned out there was no problem with the line. I now understand that the 1.0Mbps download speed that I am getting today is something I should be content with. Thank you again for your help. I will make sure that I show your post to others who may be considering upgrading to ADSL2+ with the thought that they will achieve lightening speeds.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Did you agree to pay a fee if no fault was found? If so, then suck it up :-)

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

ursine99

There was no mention of a fee. All I did was contact tech support to ask why the slow download speed and whether it may be a fault of my browser. The technician reassured me that it wasn't the browser and, after testing herself, agreed that the speed was very low and there was some "resistance" on the line. Consequently, she chose to escalate the problem (her words). Unfortunately, I'm stuck with what I consider slow download speeds, the cost of a new telstra modem and an extra fee of $120 because I dared to ask the question! Why?

JSC
Level 4: Private Eye

a couple of questions for you: 1) Did you have ADSL 1 before moving to ADSL 2? 2)If so is it a Telstra modem/router and has it been updated to except/allow/handle ADSL2 in its firmware? Telstra tech should be able to verify this, or point you in the right direction. 2) Do you have duel phone numbers on the 1 phone-line? ie house number and fax number (often called "Duet")..... If so has a Telstra Tech flipped a "stability switch" for your line? 3) What kind of wire is inside the wall? is it a grey/white wire or a blue data wire? if you dont know get a tech/electrician to come and check it
JSC
Level 4: Private Eye

AS for your speed isues: 1) it is not always Telstra's fault as the web pages/ files your trying to download are not all controlled by Telstra, they are controlled by the individual website owners and their hosts. 2) 20Mbps is the Maximum you can achieve, providing everything is working perfectly, and the sites you visit dont have speed limiting controls on their sites. 3) This speed does not account for the many other users also attempting to do things online at the same time you are. Usually comes under the catergory of load balancing (giving every1 a fair chance). 4) the maximum range of ADSL2 is 2.5km's of wire NOT line-of-site/birds flight. just because you live 1 km from the exchange doesnt mean that there is only 1km of wire to get to your house from it.
ursine99
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the advice, it was very informative. I think when I contacted technical support I may have been mislead by the support person when she agreed that my speeds were very low and kept mentioning a "reslution to the problem" which may have lead me to believe that the speeds would be greatly increased by some intervention by Telstra after the so called problem was resolved. As it turned out there was no problem with the line. I now understand that the 1.0Mbps download speed that I am getting today is something I should be content with. Thank you again for your help. I will make sure that I show your post to others who may be considering upgrading to ADSL2+ with the thought that they will achieve lightening speeds.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ursine99,

I would like to take a further look into your service because if you are only 1 km from the exchange (by cable length, not line of sight) then I would not typically expect a speed of 1 to 2.5 mbps for an ADSL2+ service.

ADSL2+ is more sensitive to noise and distance than an ADSL service and it is even more important to make sure that your modem, filters and cabling are suitable for use with an ADSL2+ service. I always recommend checking your cabling and performing an isolation test. This knowledge base provides a fairly comprehensive list of what to look for and how to perform an isolation test.

In some cases it will be necessary to put a line profile on your service to provide a more stable connection which in some cases (but not all) can increase your speed as a result. This is can be adjusted by logging into MyBigPond.

You can find information about how Line Profiles work with this link.

I will be sending you a private message with an online form for you to provide your details securely to us. Please advise if you have tried the above steps along with the isolation test.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ursine99

Hi Shelly

Thank you for your interest in the matter. As mentioned in my message, I have already availed myself of the online form. I will definitely have a look at performing an isolation test and will look into Line Profiles as well. Also, now that I know that the distance from the exchange is cable length not line of sight, I must admit that the distance involved may be more like 3.5km. Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Ursine99

Gregtcagreg
Level 1: Cadet

Hi all just found this site , I have adsl 2+ , below is the details in Telstra moden , when I do speedtest.net I get poor speeds like in the day it's round 12mb , and night round 1.5mb , but it varys a lot round 2 up to 4.5 mb , I have filters, about 4km from exchange ,as the cable lays , is this ok or not .
Link Information

Uptime: 1 day, 6:04:19

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.022 / 12.521

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 242,41 / 1,95

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 19,1

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12,4 / 26,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,4 / 6,2

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 716 / 14

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2.403 / 343.305

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 155 / 127

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 285 / 3.444

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now