CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Answered

Hi,

Here in Mt Druitt, NSW I'm on a 500gb plan with the Telstra T-Gateway

I connected my ethernet cable to the laptop with all other wireless devices off and got this speed result http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4522240533 is there a way to get faster speeds? Even my phone's still faster at home. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Hello,

I have to advise you that is reasonable for ADSL.

Further,  the recent movies services have loaded every DSLAM and every ISP in Australia, and with the NBN coming, the ISPs are doing minimal expansion.

In an inner city, I had to suffer 1 to 3 mb/s until I moved due to the congestion.

It might be worth doing an isolation test...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/550...

Regards

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Hello,

I have to advise you that is reasonable for ADSL.

Further,  the recent movies services have loaded every DSLAM and every ISP in Australia, and with the NBN coming, the ISPs are doing minimal expansion.

In an inner city, I had to suffer 1 to 3 mb/s until I moved due to the congestion.

It might be worth doing an isolation test...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/550...

Regards

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

You call that slow, I'm jealous. I'm on ADSL 2+ and being 3.2km from the exchange, I get http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4593796627 . Sadly ADSL 2+ speeds factor on many different things.

Distance from Exchange, quality of infrastructure and other small bits and pieces.

Until the NBN comes out, having 11mbps download is something I personally would love. As mentioned, only 4.74mbps download speeds here.

I am not sure off hand in the Mt. Druitt area is eligible for cable internet, but I would honestly have to say, best to wait for the NBN to come rolling around the neighbourhood for anything faster on a fixed broadband network.

I am a Telstra Retention "saves" employee. My opinions and views I share on this medium are my own and not the opinion of the company
Highlighted

Thanks for the quick reply. The link I provided is the result of the isolation test I guess. (Didn't know the term at the time) So is this the only speed I can expect with adsl2+ in my area or is there something can I do to improve it?  I guess I'm just used to more faster speeds and this just feels slower in comparison.

Highlighted

Ah really? I guess it's because that I'm used to faster speeds because I'm surrounded with people that have speeds that go up to around 30-40mbps (uploads vary). I hope nbn rolls around my area soon then.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

ADSL2+ is not capable of 30-40Mbps, like it has a theoretical maximum of 24Mbps, and just as a point of reference, we live 400m from the exchange with nothing between us and the exchange and we don't get 24Mbps, during peak times it is as low as about 10Mbps, but normally about 15Mbps.

Mobile Phones are significantly faster, with the new phones having theoretical maximum speeds of up to 450Mbps on the new 4GX networks (with certain devices only but still), a friend of mine who has the new LG G4, did a speedtest the other day which had 205Mbps download speed, even with the fastest NBN speed boost that is double the speed of it...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

Ahh ok thank you, I find this very informative.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I am rather jealous of your speed.

I just signed up to ADSL2+ and about 2.5km from the exchange and i'm maxing 298kb/s, struggle to even reach 300kb/s, and I do not even have a phone connected. 

telstra-speedtest.jpg

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi HSK,

That's certainly not great at all.

Has this been raised with our 24x7 Technical Support team, who can be contacted either by calling 133933 or via Live Chat 

http://tel.st/gq6m so they can troubleshoot the issue and hopefully find a resolution for your service.

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Lindy, I have already got in touch with level 2 tech support, and they advise when testing my line the output is between 5Mbps to 8Mbps, however there seem to be a very high voltage on the line, and have organised a technician to attend and rectify the issue. At my previous address, I was about the same distance from the exchange and when getting 3x times better speeds than this.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Hsk

It's great to hear that this is being followed up for you, via a Technician visit.

It would be great to hear the end result of this, if you have time. 

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

To All - Especially those who are experiencing slow ADSL2+ internet speeds.  I know it is tedious and wearisome, but make sure you register your complaint with BP immediately you have a problem and follow up.  Don't be put off by those who advise you it is normal and so on, satisfy yourself as you are paying the monthly bill, not others.  I can empathise with you as I had the same problems but fortunate as I managed to speak to several helpful officers in the first instance and then had an able technician who put the effort in at my premises and identified a fault at the local exchange, now all ok for the time being.  Too many out there apologists for Telstra BP.  Cannot guarantee success every time but nothing will happen at all unless you try.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit