TonyDi
Level 1: Cadet

Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Since the start of December I have experienced slow internet speeds and occasional dropouts. I was getting 8mbps download (equates to roughly 1MBps), and had no issues with the phone lines. I noticed that this only started happening when my bundle changed automatically from 200GB data plan to unlimited. Since this change my current speed has been between the 2-4mbps range (roughly .25-0.5MBps).

When I rang to ask Telstra about this they ran their usual tests and agreed that the speeds I was getting were not normal for my area. They escalated my problem to the "Need for Speed Team" which ran further tests and then booked in a technician to come and check the lines in my area the following week which was scheduled for the 15th of December.

In the meantime i ran some tests of my own by bypassing the filter and disconnecting the phone line. These tests made no difference in the download speeds of my ADSL2+ service. After the Technician visit he suggested to replace the modem/gateway/router. He said a new one was going to be sent out but it was never delivered. In the meantime i have borrowed a friend's white Telstra Gateway which seemed to give better speeds (6-7mbps) up until Christmas. It has now dropped back down to the slow speeds (2-4mbps) i was getting beforehand.

How is it possible for me to have got 8mbps download speeds for years, only for the speed to drop straight after my bundle was automatically changed. My house has not moved further from the exchange. My house is 2.0KMs away from exchange.

1. Previous Telstra broadband download speed= 8Mbps, Random Dropouts

2. Current Telstra broadband download speed= 2-4mbps, No Dropouts
3. Technician only resolved issue temporarily

3. My house has not moved further from the exchange

4. All download tests were done with OOKLA, and Telstra Speed Test. With a line test on Telstra's end also matching the slow download speeds I am currently getting.

What else can i do?

Who else can i contact to resolve this issue?

Please note: I do not wish to switch to NBN at this current time.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Slow ADSL2+ Speed

Hi @TonyDi,

is there any chance that you are the same person as @Alanf12? Your post looks suspiciously similar to this post https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Home-Broadband/message-id/70005 where some of us, including myself tried to help... If you are a different person, my apologies, but I cannot help myself finding the posts too similar...

FG

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
TonyDi
Level 1: Cadet

Hello @ForensicsGuru

Before posting my own situation i looked around on crowd support and saw others having similar problems. I took parts of someone else's post and added them into mine since i was getting very similar issues. This post is not related to the one you are suggesting nor is it the same person Smiley Happy
Level 21: Augmented

Never good idea to do so @TonyDi... Anyway, did you get some answers from the post I linked?
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Raymondwaverley
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi mate,

It happened the same to me before, maybe on July or August. Internet were slow, constantly dropped out. I call technical team many times, they did some tests...bla bla it did not work. Then they sent technician to come to fix. The first technician came just to wait time, he did not know any things. Just gave an excuse because of this and that.
Then I complaint to Telstra, then they sent the other one to come. He looked pro, he checked and he found out the reason because of wall socket. He spent 5 minutes to do something with the wall socket. Then Internet is much faster from 6Mbs to nearly 20 Mbs and no drop out.
So maybe ur wall socket is one of the reason

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now