50Calibre
Level 3: Gumshoe

Slow Broadband Cable in Peak Periods

Hi Telstra,

I am yet another one who suffers from poor speeds on the cable network during peak hours. I cannot stream Netflix any higher than 720p and sometime speeds drop to 10% on what i am PAYING for.

Also, why is our CMTS still using QAM64 and not QAM256? We all know QAM256 is more efficient and this in itself can help but Telstra hasn't bothered to upgrade it.

Outside peak hours i am able to acheive full speeds so no issue with CPE or taps etc, just severe cable congestion, again.

Located in Hallett Cove, South Australia.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Slow Broadband Cable in Peak Periods

The general feeling is that ISPs are considering the future of their DSLAM installations with the NBN in mind.

Where I previously lived for a year in an inner suburb, speeds during school hours droppped to 1 or 2 mb/s at times. It seems to be a general issue

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Slow Broadband Cable in Peak Periods

All you can do is lodge an official complaint with Telstra. Unfortunately since the 'Netflix revolution' a lot of ISPs have had trouble keeping up with demand. I personally get about 10% of the speed I'm supposed to from my ISP (iiNet). I sync at over 20Mbps, last night I was getting 1.8Mbps.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now