CrowdSupport®
Munruben1
Level 2: Rookie

Slow Broadband speed

Have had slow broadband speed & did a check earlier day with the following results

Ping 20

Download 3.1

Upload 0.8

What can be done to improve it, am currently looking not to go onto NBN and just get a mobile WIFO unit.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Slow Broadband speed

For the most part ADSL Speed is limited by distance from the exchange. We can help trying to troubleshoot it a bit but it is unlikely to result in a large difference.

Nbn speed depends On the type your area gets mostly. FTTN is similar to ADSL as it is speed limited by distance to the node, but typically speeds would be no less then 12Mbps.

Telstra home wireless gives you full speed access to the 4G network which means depending on the area you could get outstanding speeds, but the trade off is that it isn’t cheap.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman

I can personally highly recommend wireless broadband. It is a superb service.
I use and recommend the Netgear Advanced 111 modem in the Netgear ethernet cradle with its own strong WiFi.
You get what you pay for!!
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Munruben1

Thanks Dr Q - all good info

Munruben1

Thanks ProfessorPhone,
Have used and a similar version as my work unit and was happy with it.
Do you know how good the Netgear Nighthawk is

Thanks Again

The nighthawk works exceptionally well on speed and coverage but the wifi range isn’t outstanding.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Munruben1

Thanks DrQ,

Whilst the range probably will not be an issue, any suggestions on a booster.

Thanks Again

for wifi, any wifi extender should be good.
with mobile reception, boosters and the like are very limited and regulated in Australia, so pretty much your only legal option is to get it through the telco. most cheaper boosters are either ineffective or can completely impact the network in the entire area.
Helpful Links

Munruben1

Thanks DrQ for advise & once again your replies are appreciated.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now