CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
fred911
Level 2: Rookie

Slow Cable internet

Answered

I have a strange speed problem with cable internet.   I have a 100Mb connection and typically get 115Mb showing on sppedtest.  For a few days now, speedtest is showing me consistently about 25Mb.  If I enable a VPN connection to a VPN server in Auckland then speedtest shows about 85Mb and web browsing is much faster - obviously.  Turn off the VPN and I'm back to about 25Mb again.  Anyone have any clues as to what might be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fred911
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow Cable internet

Thanks for your reply.  I tracked the problem to faulty parameters on my NIC. As soon as I disabled IPv6 the speed came up to normal.  If I re-enabled IPv6 the speed dropped again, so the problem was reproducible.  So, for now anyway, problem resolved.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you provide some more information on what you are experiencing and how you have your equipment set up?

For example:

- the model of modem,

- if you have personalised any of the configurations in the modem,

- how you connect to the modem, 

- if you mainly connect via Wi-Fi, is this issue the same when connected via Ethernet cable

- is this the same across multiple devices

- does your device/s have the latest operating system and security updates?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

fred911
Accepted Solution

Thanks for your reply.  I tracked the problem to faulty parameters on my NIC. As soon as I disabled IPv6 the speed came up to normal.  If I re-enabled IPv6 the speed dropped again, so the problem was reproducible.  So, for now anyway, problem resolved.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, I have marked your response as a solution as it may help others with a similar experience.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now