Colliedogg
Level 1: Cadet

Slow NBN Speed on FTTP

Hi, am experiencing consistently slow D/L speeds (under 5 Mbps).

We have: Speed Boost NBN Standard Plus Speed Boost - This should achieve 40-50 Mbps I think.

Can someone advise what I should look at on MyGateway?

DSL is showing as disconnected, Ethernet is connected - this is how it has always been, and up until recently (2-3 weeks) have never had any issues.

Am I doing something wrong here? Would appreciate some advice.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Slow NBN Speed on FTTP

Sounds like you're running off the 4g backup. Are your upload speeds around the 1mbps mark?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Colliedogg

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have been talking to Telstra tech support, they are monitoring speeds.

Regarding the speeds I reported, they were through MLab speed test.

Just checked today on speedtest.telstra.com and I have 45 Mbps D/L and 17 Mbps U/L.

I check on MLab speedtest and I get 3.8 D/L and 3.9 U/L. Why would the results be so different?

Any time I try to stream a video e.g. Netflix, it buffers constantly, so I am not confident about the speedtest.telstra.com result.

I'm connected via Ethernet - what else could be the issue?

Re: 4g backup - how do I know if i am running off this?

Thanks

Light on the front of the modem at the bottom would be blue if on backup. Try running the test on speedtest.net and fast.com and see what results you get. I personally haven't heard of MLab before
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Colliedogg

No blue light, so guess am not on backup.

Just got 27Mbps D/L - but still unable to view one video on Netflix without buffering- connected via Ethernet.

Tech support told me to wait for the 24 hrs, but if the results show acceptable speeds they may tell me fault is resolved, but I can't watch videos without buffering so there is an issues somewhere.

Is it likely to be equipment related? Network Adapter on PC?

DSL is not an issue if on FTTP am I right?

Thanks Again
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

DSL is not an issue if on FTTP

If you are watching Netflix on a PC the buffering could be due to the PC doing updates in the background. To check if background task could be causing the buffering open Task manager by right clicking on blank space on the  Task bar at the bottom of the screen and select Task manager. Select More details view bottom left of Task bar window. If Disk usage or CPU usage is over 50% this could be the cause of the buffering.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now