Highlighted
NothappyJan12
Level 1: Cadet

Slow NBN speed

Answered

Does Telstra monitor customer speed through NBN nodes. I'm on the 25/5 plan, was happily getting 23 meg, no buffering. Now the speed is between 1-2 meg at night and basically unusable. Did a speed test after midnight and all is fast at this time, but come evening completely useless. Tried 2 new gateway modems and an EXFO test modem, same issue, How do they determine if a node needs more bandwidth. The FOH phone support say I'm connected at the correct speed and wont log a fault, but the throughput is atrocious. Please can someone direct me to someone who will actually do something.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow NBN speed

They don't throttle the area. When demand approaches the amount of CVC that Telstra has purchased from NBN Co, the speeds drop dramatically as there is no available bandwidth.

To get the problem solved quicker (the process can take weeks), you need to ring the 1800 834 273 number and report the issue and ask if there are any CVC upgrades planned for your area. This flags that there is an issue in your distribution area and can be looked at quicker.

Once Telstra puts in an order to NBN Co for extra CVC (which isn't cheap - costs a lot more than what you are paying for your service), it can take 2-4 weeks before it is applied to the node by NBN Co.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

They do monitor it, but it helps if you call 1800 834 273 and report it anyway.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Bbsimon

Given that 99.9% of people here who complain get no resolution just frustration why would you call?

have been having same issue for last two nights, it’s just Telstra’s usual crap performance and utter lack of respect for its customers as usual. Most likely they have a “technical problem” like too much demand and have throttled our area to shift the problem to someone else. 

Cant wait to get out of this contract. 

Accepted Solution

They don't throttle the area. When demand approaches the amount of CVC that Telstra has purchased from NBN Co, the speeds drop dramatically as there is no available bandwidth.

To get the problem solved quicker (the process can take weeks), you need to ring the 1800 834 273 number and report the issue and ask if there are any CVC upgrades planned for your area. This flags that there is an issue in your distribution area and can be looked at quicker.

Once Telstra puts in an order to NBN Co for extra CVC (which isn't cheap - costs a lot more than what you are paying for your service), it can take 2-4 weeks before it is applied to the node by NBN Co.

Shakow
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Where are you located? I am having the issue and it only started this week, I'm in Narara, NSW
buzzbuzzen
Level 8: Inspector

I just logged a fault on that 1800 number for my ultra slow download issue so I would encourage everyone with this issue , there seems to be quite a few on crowd support pages, to report it on the 1800 number so they might check what the problem is , cheers, Buzz.
dirtysweet

i hav the same issue from this week early(schofields)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now