RexstarGO
Level 1: Cadet

Slow NBN speed

Answered

My nbn speed used to be around 30-40 Mbps (for around 2 months) but lately I have been getting 5-8 Mbps which is less than half of what I was getting when I first got my nbn (around 4 months ago).

Also, mostly during the day (but sometimes at night as well) the broadband service will randomly go offline and the "ONLINE" light will turn pink/magenta.

I have called Telstra support multiple times but all they have got me to do is some troubleshooting that haven't given me any answers at all. Telstra support did say that they will bring a technician over to have a look at the problem, but I have had multiple technicians come over to take a look but have yet to get any results or answers. 

These problems have really started to bother me so I would appreciate a response that will help me understand what is going on.

Why am I having these problems, and how can they be fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow NBN speed

You have high attenuation which explains the low speed. This could be caused by a cable fault. The Noise margin is also double the normal Noise margin. This indicates a stability profile has been applied to the line due to instability which also points to a line fault. The higher than normal signal to noise margin will also decrease the link speed.

Check that nothing is plugged into any spare phone sockets. If you have switched phone sockets plug the modem back into the original socket. It is possible but unlikely the modem could be faulty but it is more likely that there is a street cable fault. Probably a faulty termination in the node a pit or connection pillar and can only be fixed by a NBN Co technician.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

@RexstarGO When you get some time can you post your full modem stats so we can have a look?

They will look something like this....

DSL Status: Up
DSL Uptime: 15 days 6 hours 19 minutes 47 seconds
DSL Type: VDSL2
DSL Mode: Fast
Maximum Line rate: 17.7 Mbps  36.31 Mbps
Line Rate: 17.91 Mbps  35.3 Mbps
Data Transferred: 1456.57 MBytes  2000.11 MBytes
Output Power: 8.6 dBm  12.3 dBm
Line Attenuation: 5.7, 33.8, 53.5 dB  15.8, 44.0, 67.2 dB
Noise Margin: 5.7 dB  6.6 dB

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!

You will find the DSL stats at http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats
If your connection is dropping out and switching to backup you could have an intermittent line fault. This will be indicated by Link retrain counts in DSL Diagnostics. You can check for link retrain counts here.
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL
RexstarGO

DSL Status: Up
DSL Uptime: 12 minutes 9 seconds
DSL Type: VDSL2
DSL Mode: Fast
Maximum Line rate: 4.92 Mbps 9.49 Mbps
Line Rate: 4.92 Mbps 9.32 Mbps
Data Transferred: 234 MBytes 525.29 MBytes
Output Power: 6.3 dBm 12 dBm
Line Attenuation: 19.7, 54.5, 74.1 dB 30.7, 63.3, 89.4 dB
Noise Margin: 11.6 dB 12.2 dB

Sorry, is this what you where after?
Accepted Solution

You have high attenuation which explains the low speed. This could be caused by a cable fault. The Noise margin is also double the normal Noise margin. This indicates a stability profile has been applied to the line due to instability which also points to a line fault. The higher than normal signal to noise margin will also decrease the link speed.

Check that nothing is plugged into any spare phone sockets. If you have switched phone sockets plug the modem back into the original socket. It is possible but unlikely the modem could be faulty but it is more likely that there is a street cable fault. Probably a faulty termination in the node a pit or connection pillar and can only be fixed by a NBN Co technician.

RexstarGO

Thank you for the quick replies, but can you go more in depth about the phone sockets and tell me what I am looking for exactly. I am truly sorry about my lack of knowledge on these sort of things.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you have more than one phone socket, first step is to make sure that nothing at all is still plugged in to the others. Also, if you know which socket is your primary socket, make sure that your modem is plugged in to that one.

It would be a good idea to get the wiring to the other sockets disconnected by a licenced cabling contractor (most electricians can do that these days), as they are a major source of interference. Getting the other sockets disconnected at my house resulted in the speeds increasing from 17Mbps to 29Mbps alone.

With a maximum speed of 9Mbps and repeated dropouts, that is also an indication of a problem with the line between your house and the node. Given that you had good speeds to start with, it could be that the wiring was disturbed when the NBN was being connected to others in your area. It should just require an NBN Co technician to go out and reterminate the cables. Give 1800 834 273 a call to organise that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
serpent1

I have very recently re-connected to Telstra broadband. However the connection is almost non-existent now because it's become so slow.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@serpent1 - Please contact Tech Support where they can securely access your service details and perform further testing.

Call 1800 834 273 or use Live Chat via the Telstra 24x7 app or this link.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DMan4

Here are our speed results (how do I add image of the last year’s measurements ?)

Anyway / typical last night reading 2.6up 0.5down at midnight

My neighbor waited months as the nbn signal was too low to connect so I assume the lines from the node are just too poor. If this is the case would it help to change provider?

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Changing providers wont change the line you're connected to. Those speeds look like your modem is running off the 4G backup
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

DMan4

Since May 2018 random speed tests give 70% below 10 up

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more