CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Slow NBN speed

Answered

I am so sick of my NBN speed. It is driving me batty and cranky. why am I getting lower than a basic evening tier during the day? Its even worse at nite. and I'm paying $79.00 for Home INternet Connect Plus Standard Plus Speed FTTN NBN

I am so frustrated I could cry. and the stupid troubleshooting tool I should be able to do blah blah blah with this speed. That is not the damn point!  Im now on low tier so why is my speed so slow and I am not over my limit. i have only used 3.5 GB out of 1000GB. Restarting modem ndoes not increased my speed. 

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
18 minutes 25 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
 1.23 Mbps  7.85 Mbps
Line Rate
 1.23 Mbps  7.26 Mbps
Data Transferred
 9.39 MBytes  27.21 MBytes
Output Power
 5.8 dBm  14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
 23.4, 68.8,N/A dB  29.7, 76.1, 90.3 dB
Noise Margin
 6.2 dB  6.4 dB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow NBN speed

Have logged a fault and they are sending a NBN techie this weekend. There is nothing else on my phone socket. no filter just direct connect to modem. Today I am in backup mode. At this point, I really hate Telstra and NBN.

Modem Time
1days, 02:52:45
Current Day Start
Tue Feb 11 2020 19:03:55 PM, 02:52:05 ago
Showtime
0days, 05:29:21
DSL Standard
VDSL2
Max Bandwidth Down
1.85Mbps

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The low speed is due to the extremely high attenuation of your line. There might be fault causing the high attenuation. If you have more than one phone socket try another phone socket also make sure nothing is plugged into any spare phone sockets. Have you lodged a fault with Telstra as your speed is way below the speed guaranteed by NBN CO for a FTTN connection.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Have logged a fault and they are sending a NBN techie this weekend. There is nothing else on my phone socket. no filter just direct connect to modem. Today I am in backup mode. At this point, I really hate Telstra and NBN.

Modem Time
1days, 02:52:45
Current Day Start
Tue Feb 11 2020 19:03:55 PM, 02:52:05 ago
Showtime
0days, 05:29:21
DSL Standard
VDSL2
Max Bandwidth Down
1.85Mbps

View solution in original post

Highlighted

NBN techie came and did a fix. I am now on 24.74 Mbps speed for my 25 plan although I dont know why I am on 25 if my plan is

Home Internet Connect Plus
Standard Plus Speed - NBN FTTN Technology Type
I thought Std + speed is 50?

Anyway, it was not the wiring in my house, he had to did the pit and found a break on my phone line. So he said he fixed that and my speed should be back to normal. And it is now. Im much happier. This is way better than on 3G sim back up speed or 4 -7 on normal daytime. That was just rubbish. And everytime I did the smart troubleshooting on the website, it keeps saying its normal. That I should be able to stream blah blah blah. Well it was not normal. I think the Telstra CEO should try being on sim back up speed or 7Mbps for 2 years..let him see how it feels to be crawling and experience what his customers had to endure. Yeah I think I deserve some refunds! 
Highlighted

Standard plus is 50/20 but on an FTTN link speed is also limited by distance from Node and line quality. You might be entitled to a refund for the days you had unusable internet and if your link is not capable of 50/20 could transfer to a different plan.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/help/pdf/cis-personal/nbn-key-facts/key-fact-sh...

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

This seems to be normal for Telstra

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit