Aldo1
Level 2: Rookie

Slow NBNCo speeds

Recently connected to my Telstra smart modem and was told NBNCo now activated. My download speed never more than 6.6mbps. Surely this is too slow.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Slow NBNCo speeds

It sounds like your modem is in backup mode. In backup mode speed is limited to 6/1. If the online light is not green then there could be a fault on the main link forcing modem to switch to backup mode.

If the online light is green then there could still be a fault with the link which is effecting the speed. On a FTTN/B link you can check the NBN link speed by logging in to the modem http://192.168.0.1 and going to advance > broadband > DSL stats, If asked for log in it is admin/Telstra.

Your speed should be greater than 6.6 Mbps. Ring support on 1800 834 273

Highlighted
Aldo1

Finally got through to Telstra and a very helpful tech who discovered that my changeover was not quite complete. He tried to fix the problem remotely but was not able to so he organised a tech appointment for today, Friday,. Fingers crossed.

Aldo1

Nbn technician reported back to Telstra that they could find no fault. Not sure how they managed this as they came nowhere near my house, anyway, Telstra are sending me a new modem on Monday thinking that might be the problem solver. I’ll wait and see

Level 20: Director

@Aldo1 I know this might sound stupid, but make sure the cable from the wall to the modem is going to the right port in the back of the modem. Which is the DSL grey port and not the green phone port.

I called around to the friend of a friend and he made that mistake. Easy to do :-)

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Aldo1

Thanks for that. Checked and everything’s where it should be.
Aldo1

After two days of spending more than two hours each day on the phone with various technicians we are no further advanced. Waited all day to be phoned by a Connection Manager but he didn’t call. Telstra tech rang back to find out if that happened and put me on hold for 40 minutes while she tried to organize a technician to come out and fix the problem only to be told that the technicians don’t service where I live, Hervey Bay qld. So now I’m to wait another day in the hope that a connnections manager will ring tomorrow. Meanwhile internet running at 3.6mbps and no landline phone. Hopeless telstra!

Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you done a factory reset on the modem? It sometimes helps with connectivity issues.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Aldo1

Yep, done that.

Can you go into your modem's homepage and have a look at the Broadband Connectivity. Does it say that it is connected via VDSL or VDSL2, or is it indicating that it can't see a landline connection.

If it can see a landline connection then it may be an account configuration error. If it is indicating no DSL connection, then it is a line fault and NBN Co will need to come out again. Really, they should have at least knocked on your door and told you that they have tested to the Maddison box and told you the speed that they saw. In reality, they should have come inside and tested to the socket as well.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 20: Director

@Aldo1 wrote:

After two days of spending more than two hours each day on the phone with various technicians we are no further advanced. Waited all day to be phoned by a Connection Manager but he didn’t call. Telstra tech rang back to find out if that happened and put me on hold for 40 minutes while she tried to organize a technician to come out and fix the problem only to be told that the technicians don’t service where I live, Hervey Bay qld. So now I’m to wait another day in the hope that a connnections manager will ring tomorrow. Meanwhile internet running at 3.6mbps and no landline phone. Hopeless telstra!

It may be that Telstra need the NBN Co to deal with the fault. So until they are available its out of their hands. So you may not be able to blame Telstra for this one, as it would happen no matter who you are with.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Aldo1

Sounds like a good idea. Not sure how to find the modem homepage?

To open the modems home page open a web browser on a device connected to modem. The IP address of modem is either http://192.168.0.1 or http://10.0.0.138  If asked for ID and password it is either admin/admin, admin/Telstra or admin/telstra. On Technicolor modems the information you are looking for is located at Advance > Broadband > DSL Status.

Aldo1

Thanks for that but nothing seems to work. I’m presuming the password required is the one on the fridge magnet that came with the modem? What about the WiFi name also on the fridge magnet.

It is printed on the modem near the ports as well. Not the wifi Password, the Admin Username & Password.

It sounds like you might be connecting to Telstra Air/Fon instead of the modems normal SSID which would explain the slow speed.

Connect to the WiFi SSID printed on the Fridge magnet. The WiFi password is also on the fridge magnet.

Aldo1

Thank you. Managed to get in. DSL disconnected. Mobile connection weak.

That sounds like the problem is a line issue and that you are in a marginal 4G area. That would explain both issues you are having. Definitely a job for an NBN Co technician (hopefully doing it properly this time).
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hmmm... Sorry for you - seems that you're having NBN issue plus 4G signal at here you are is too week... Hope that Telstra manages to get NBN to fix soon...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Aldo1

Finally spoke with a Telstra guy who fixed my problem. NBN had been connected to a phone port in my moms  bedroom. They didn’t ask me where I wanted it, just did it. So now our phone is in my poor old moms bedroom as it has to be connected to the modem. Not satisfactory at all. Any one got any idea how I can get that fixed? Changed to the living room phone port?

An electrician (who has a cabling licence) should be able to relocate the outlet for you.
Aldo1

Thanks for that suggestion. Contacted a local sparky and he fixed the problem in 15 minutes. Now have modem and phone in the living room. Speed of 46.7mbps. Amazed that Telstra were not willing or able to help with this.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more