CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Slow cable speeds at night WANTIRNA 3152

Hi all,

I am subscribed to a 100 mbps cable service with Telstra and live in Wantirna 3152.  During the morning, these speeds are able to be achieved.

However, at night, speeds drop to an average of 3 mbps!  I have been monitoring this for a week and understand that congestion will slow speeds, but am very disappointed that I have subscribed to a 100 mbps service and yet, I am unable to achieve any speeds even remotely close to this during night time periods.

Just wondering if anyone else in Wantirna was experiencing these slow speeds at night?

Does Telstra has any plans to upgrade the throughput to the cables in Wantirna so that we can achieve speeds closer to the advertised 100 mbps service which I have subscribed to?

Thanks

Patrick

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Slow cable speeds at night WANTIRNA 3152

Hey Patrick,

I'm in the same boat. I had a tech say they moved everyone to a backup server (that can't handle the traffic) due to some upgrade, which is why its slower at night. 

I'm trying to find out if thats true!

Highlighted

Hi Apache,

I've been testing the speeds at night for a while and have noticed that it slows alot at nights and it has been like this for a while.

If it is a backup server, I wonder why can I achieve full speeds in the morning but not at night?

Also, if the amount of traffic really can't be handled, maybe Telstra should consider increasing the bandwidth so that we can achieve reasonable speeds at night?  It's farcical that we pay for a 100 mbps service and are only able to achieve less than 10% of that speed in real life....

Highlighted

Same here. Today whole day I'm experiencing slow cable speed @download speed just over 2 mbps. Hope Telstra support can take actions to solve the issues.

Highlighted

@atuanmu123 Most likely becuase traffic is not as high in the morning as it is compared to night. But I agree, its kinda bad that we are experiencing these issues without any resolution as yet.

@ericwu let us know what your tech says. I have one coming out on the 8th, not sure they will be able to do anything though.

Highlighted

Same here 3152 speed has been below 10mb/s for a week now.

Telstra what's going on and when are you going to fix this?

Highlighted

Hi all,

I have been experiencing extremly slow speed for about two weeks now. I live in the nearby suburb Wheelers Hill 3150. I would by lucky to get above 1.5mbps most nights and last night was the wrost @ 0.66mbps! Had multiple support chats and had a tech organised for Saturday but i just got a call from Telstra and was told the tech has been cancelled as there was an outstage in the area and it had been fixed. 

After reading other posts online i strongly doubt that will fix the slow connection issue.... Come on Telstra please do something about it.

Highlighted

Current im at bayswater n my speed has gone down from 14 mbps to 5.3mbps since few days ago. telstra is no more faster isp

Highlighted

Speed is really an issue at peak times. During the day it's ok.

IMG_3947.jpg

Highlighted

Called and was told there would be a technician coming out checking our exchange today. Hopefully they are checking the issue we are concerning.

Highlighted

keep us posted @ericwu. I just did a speed test on mine, looks like its back to normal, however i might try again tomorrow just to make sure! http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4972931642

Highlighted

I've tested multiple times tonight, results seem positive. All over 80 mbps which is not bad.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Everybody,

I can see that Nick responded to a similar thread about the Wantirna area.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Slow-cable-speed-due-to-exchange-infrastructur...

- Cory

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit