CrowdSupport®
atuanmu
Level 1: Cadet

Slow cable speeds at night

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue in the Wantirna area.

I am subscribed to Bigpond Ultimate cable which is a 100 Mbps service.  I can achieve these speeds during the morning and early afternoon.

However, at night, my speed drops to about 10-15 Mbps.

I am wondering what is causing this dramatic drop in speed and if anything can be done to improve it. 

Previously, I was receiving a throughput of 100 Mbps consistently throughout the day and night, however, more recently, the speeds at night have been very poor.

Please let me know of the reasons for the speed drop at night and if any solutions are available.

Thanks

atuanmu

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
atuanmu

Re: Slow cable speeds at night

Any Telstra Reps out there who can give some advice and insight?

Thanks

Atuanmu

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi atuanmu,

While it is expected for speeds to lower during periods of peak usage in your area, it is a bit surprising to see it drop that much. 

Speed tests show the speed available to that device at that time rather than the speed available from the network.  This means that if there is WiFi interference or another device hogging the bandwidth the result will not represent the speed provided by the network.

I would suggest starting with speed tests with one computer connected and the WiFi disabled during peak periods. The following link explains in further detail what you should look out for: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139

If you continue to see such a large drop in speed after performing the above test, please contact BigPond Tech Support so that a technician can be arranged to investigate this further for you.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

shamusmcfly

I have it much worse than that. Im also on 100mbps in Alexandra hills. Again during the day the speed is fine, but at night it gets that slow i have to use my mobile phone on vodafones network because i cant even load a web page. Hell it took me 5 attempts to load this page to respond because it kept timing out.

I had a telstra tech out here yesterday and he confirmed exactly what i already knew, and that is congestion on the network in a saturated area.

Post the tech attending and being unable to rethe issue as there is nothing he can do about congestion, i spent 2 hours on the phone with telstra and their response was simply there is nothing they can do.

I think its absolutely apauling that i pay $150 a month for a service thats so bad i have to rely on my mobile phone for internet access at night.

Im thinking the only choice i have left is to contact the ombudsman this week as telstra cant offer a solution and are unable to provide the service im paying for.

Its just so frustrating when you dont get what you pay for, and its not like im on a cheap plan.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Shamusmcfly.

I can appreciate how frustrating this would be for you. 

When it comes to organising relief for congestion, this needs to go the Network planning Team for approvals. Unfortunately we are unable to resolve this issue for all affected areas at the same time. 

You'd need to lodge a Complaint Lodging a complaint with Telstra so that a Case Manager can be assigned to investigate your speeds and the services in the area.

Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

shamusmcfly

Hi Lindy

After spending 2 hours on the phone with India/Telstra trying to explain the problem to someone whom wouldn't know an Ethernet cable from a garden hose, only for them to send a tech out to confirm what I already knew and was trying to explain to them (congestion), then a further 2 hours on the phone with the first hour again being someone in India reading from the handbook without a clue about networking, I think I've done my best to address the issue with Telstra. I mean at what point do I start charging Telstra for my time?

Honestly I've had enough of the bad service and the even worse customer support that offers no solution to the problem other than to offer to downgrade me to DSL to resolve my problem like that would help?

It's time for the ombudsman. I bet I will end up speaking to an Australian, and I won't be on the phone for 2 hours a hit, and they will actually do something unlike Telstra whom do nothing but agrovate me with their lies and lack of knowledge of the HFC network.

I've seriously never had such bad customer service in my life. I've found trying to address any issue with Telstra to be a complete waste of time in every sense of the word.

I think it's fair to point out that I work for a carrier, and I helped build Both Optuses and Telstras HFC network installing the cables, taps and gateways/nodes up power poles and underground as well as installing the CMTS in the exchanges and the subsequent upgrades of the CMTS. Currently I'm a network engineer, so it's not like I'm not familiar with Telstras cable network. I guess that just makes it more frustrating when you have someone in India that knows nothing, quoting all this garbage out of their playbook that I know is incorrect and isn't going to fix the issue, but I waste my time anyway jumping through all their hoops doing all the things they instruct pointlessly. 

shamusmcfly

this is the speeds this morning which is a far cry from the 100mbps im paying for. It took 2 attempts to get this as the first attempt failed to even make it past the upload stage of the test. im getting 3% of what im paying for.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4756579298

It would be nice if i only had to pay 3% of the bill so im getting what i pay for.

Dylan81

I am getting the same issue now. Telstra sent a tech around today and of course the internet is around 97mbs but at night i'm lucky to get 5mbs. I am also paying for speed boost. Again they seems to have no idea why this happens except keep trying to blame it on a bad wifi connection. Has anyone else had any luck in getting through to Telstra that their service is seriously capped at night?

amajumdar5

Same here. Massive con this cable service at Telstra. Network congestion seems to be the order of the day. I feel stuck 1 month into a 24 month contract. I already rue the day I gave up IINET ADSL2 for DOCSIS3.0. Plus regarding the India connection, they hire cheap headcount at Accenture in Bangalore and yeah as they say you get what you pay , do the support sucks big time.
Hakapik

Alex Hills here, getting between 5mb/s and 12 mb/s for approximately 2 - 3 months paying for uncapped 100 mb/s.

2 techs sent out that were both great in checking and adding new connectors and rewiring parts, both advising congestion as the cause, not my computer, modem or the parts they just replaced.

Speaking to tech support is an absolute waste of time, same scripted actions, same scripted responses, no resolution.

I just want the internet speeds I pay for.

Unfortunately Telstra hold the monopoly, so no idea what alternative may be available...

LooneyR8
Level 2: Rookie

The problem with HFC is the fact that it is a shared connection.

As the router in the exchange max's out it does load balancing to try and share the bandwidth equally.

As an original customer on the HFC (number 34 in Oz) I have always known that HFC isnt a perfect solution as you will never have a dedicated connection like a Class B DSL connection or a dedicated ISDN/DSL connection.

If you check your contract agreement you will see that Telstra doesnt actually guarantee 100meg they say the network is capable of that speed.

Not defending Telstra in anyway, shape or form but I understand that sometimes networks become flooded at night when everyone gets home etc...

If you want guaranteed speed you have to pay for it...!

Highlighted
Neil66

Same here, my day speed is 35Mbps, from 6PM to midnight it's only 4Mbps. At least 5 technicians came but found nothing wrong, the only thing they suspect is congestion. Telstra would take at least 6 months to upgrade the system when we're paying for unsatisfied services.
Colin2591

I am seeing the same thing. Speedtest drops from around 75Mb in the morning and afternoon to 3-5Mb in the evening.

But I have found that turning the cable modem off for 10 seconds and then on again the speeds return to around 60Mb.

That tells me it is not a network congesion issue. Running the same speedtest a few hours later and I get speeds of around 35Mb so it seems to progressively get slower over time, but only in the evening.

Rather than congesion I suspect some sort of bandwidth shaping.

Cosmic567

I am in the same boat during yhe day 120 mbs at night 2mb and um paying 150 dollars.It is a cable connection liberty plan with a internet booster to boost my speeds.It is really bad and slow at night

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now