Highlighted
Drumroll
Level 1: Cadet

Slow cable speeds?

Answered

Just like to verify and see if anyone else is actually experience some very very slow internet speeds.

Currently have the Cable Ultimate plan and definitely not capped. I have also restarted the modem a few times.
Using speedtest.net i'm getting about 4.26Mbps down and 2.13 Mbps up so it looks like its just a download issue?
No one is downloading around the house so its not that either.

Edit: Just another thing to add, in the Blackburn South region.

Thanks,
Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Slow cable speeds?

Hi All, 

We have some troubleshooting steps for speed issues on the following page:

If you are still experiencing slow speeds after going through the steps please contact our Technical Support team on 133 933 or via the Live Chat page, so they can access your account and investigate this further.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
76 REPLIES 76
McShady

I have ADSL but I've been having terrible speeds recently, especially international traffic and any streaming.

2 weeks ago it seemed fine but now it's barely working.

SpecialDave
Level 2: Rookie

Hey Drumroll,

a little more info will help the crowd with a diagnostic...

What modem do you have?

How many other services do you have that utilise the cable?

cheers

SD

atat100

I'm also experiencing very slow internet speeds. Currently have the Cable Ultimate plan and definitely not capped.

I have also restarted the modem a few times, using speedtest.net i'm getting about 2.46Mbps down and 1.89 Mbps up speed.

No one is downloading around the house so its not that either.

I'm in the Wantirna region and i'm using "Modem: Netgear CG3100"

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi All, 

We have some troubleshooting steps for speed issues on the following page:

If you are still experiencing slow speeds after going through the steps please contact our Technical Support team on 133 933 or via the Live Chat page, so they can access your account and investigate this further.

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

davidmelbourne

Hi All,

I have been on Telstra's / Bigpond / Foxtel cable for years. Generally reliable and gernarly fast.

Am aware that cable is a "shared" medium so that when many users are on it - and worse downloading heaps - the systems or local "neighbourhood" will slow - sometimes dramatically.

It is up to the telco providing the cable network to periodically increase the number of "headers" (I may have the wrong term) or local network boxes (my word) where all the cable customers for one small local neighbourhood area are controlled by. As more people are connected to that local network - literaly houses in your street or nearby streets, there comes a time and need for the telco to upgrade the box or header or provide more for that area so that the system returns to just a few users on one lcoal cable network and so forth. This ensures speeds - even in peak times - remain very viable.

Behind all this the telco also has to keep increasing the "back-haul" or behind scenes trunk services that link all these neighbourhoods of cable to main servers. 

I believe from my own reading and indeed from a friend I have in Optus that Telstra and Optus etc are quite good at increasing the trunk fibre and cable services but go at a minim to increase the number of local networks in a neighbourhoods for cable customers as this requires the telco to SPEND GOOD MONEY!  The telcos world wide on cable - and Telstra (reliable as it service is generally but not always) is infamous for this - do a waiting game to see just how far they can squeeze the system before too many people complain and they may loose customers and someone could even sue them for poor service they are not getting but paying for.

Periodically I'm sure Telstra does spend the odd million$ upgrading the locall cable networks so that less people share the one cable or system but they simply do NOT do it often enough to ensure pretty good speeds in HEAVY PEAK times, which is not just for an hour but occurs a lot over the weekends and many evenings too for residential customers.

Of course lcoal technical issues and at times a local issue just with one customer can be a problem (and I'm sure too many people stupidly ticker with their modems and networks and their Mac or Windows browser and OS system settings and try to run too many devices at once) but Telstra (and indeed all telcos) like to "smoke screen" customers - most who are not technical - but pschologically putting the slowness issue back on the customer by trotting out the usual stuff of things like:   " re-boot your modem",  "make sure nothing else is connected or not too many people are on your home system at once", "pull the plug out of and then put it back into the cable wall socket" and one of their best: "we'll send out a street technician", and another  excuse:  "it could be overseas connections that are congested and not the fault of Telstra", etc. All, or some of these statements can be true to a point and it would happen that in a home three people are downloading heavily and someone wonders why their cable on another computer is slow and perhaps occassionally a street connection has gone bad.

Of course, there is another known factor that has helped cause a slowing of how many web sites open on one's computer: namely due to the ever increasing number of advertisers and data collection companies that seem to somehow be in the chain of coding links that fires up when you open a web page. This has been steadily growing in recent years and can cause a web page to open more slowly.

(Just look at the very bottom left of Firefox's browser to see all the stuff happening as you click on any web site while the page opens. Even clicking on Telstra sees links like "   "  being accessed and the browser pausing on some of these then moving ahead. WTF??!!)  This is not Telstra's fault per se for other web sites but I mention it to acknowledge that this is another contributing factor to modern day web browsing becomeing slower at times as servers become temporarily loaded. Again GREED by too many companies, including Telstra who link their web page while it opens up to a plethora of advertising and date collection companies who I gather pay Telstra or whoever for that data of what I am looking for. (Greed and I suggest privacy invasion - but who cares anywehere & I digress!)  BUT this aspect, though contributing at times to the odd web page opening slowly, can NOT explain away the current 2015 issues of slow / slower speeds across many a weekend or some evenings mentioned by some many people across so many forums - even one complaint by email in the paper I happenned to see the other day.

But fellow readers - all of the above is grossly over used set of excuses to deflect one big part of the probem away from Telstra spedning more and more often (or indeed many a telco.)

THESE EXCUSES ARE NOT ALWAYS THE CASE and currently in 2015  ARE NOT the full answer and Telstra, Optus iiNet etc all know it!

Tech reviewers in the media have said that Netflix this year has savagely slowed the main trunks and backhaul fibre networkls and lcoal cable and ADSL networks across Australia and the telcos are loathed to (but should have anyway) to spend millions$ urgently to increase their network capacity.  (By the way, they would still make nice profits - just a little less!  Greed is a major issue here over service - good as the latter can be at times.)

But even without Netfilx etc and even without the growth of the average customer downloading more and more - Telstra and others need to relinquish a wee bit of profit and more often increase their network capacity urgently and keep at it more often to stop peak speeds degrading so much on Telstra's system rather than blaming or shifting the fault or tech service talking to the customer about their (the customer) end only!  Tech or customer service needs senior management to allow them to honestly ADMIT to customer - who pay good money (Tesltra is not the cheapest by any means and has the poorest download quotas per month generally speaking - on cable, ADSL and certainly poor monthly data quotas on their mobile servce but charge a premium - greed again!) that peak times are pulling down the Telstra system too much not the customer's end being the problem.  FACT!

Cable local neighbourhood networks need upgrading quicker - this is one of thje KEY reasons for so many people across this forum, and Optus forums too and so forth and media talking about:  ... "why am I / we experienecing slow internet speeds llocally even just to Aussie web sites?"

For example, even just opening the Telstra Bigpond home page (I typed in the browser as a test  www.bigpond.com.au   can be blazingly quick at midnight but today at 3:50pm on Sunday 23 Aug 2015 took 23 seconds (count "one and" two and" "three and" etc) on my cable, which is supposed to provide - and does in the wee hours - provide up to 30 Mpb. (mega bits) but this afternoon the Bigpond home page took 23 seconds  to fully download and SBS web site (www.sbs.com.au/)  fifteen seconds, Google, six seconds. Just clicked on another tab to SBS again and it fully opned in 3 seconds but Telstra home page on another tab still took 22 seconds. Any media / sales person knows this is too slow and causes people to "click through" to other sites. Though these times are partly due to the web site servers obviously needing upgrading in terms of speed to handle traffic it is also partly due to Telstra (in my case) cable being slow today.

Ttwo of the broadband speed test URLs supplied on another Telstra Crowd Support forum discussion thread by a Telstra moderator both show similar results that this arvo I am getting about 4 mega bits down load speed on two test runs and five minutes later got 14 mega bits - better   {and just at the end of this text I did it again and got 10 mega bits per second -  it varies due to general traffic and local cable sustomers) but overall that is A PATHETIC SET OF  SPEEDS ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON, even with factoring in how cable works!  I  PAY  for this!

Yet last Tuesday night (being just curious) I used the same speed test sites at 11:00pm and again - like this afternoon - made sure all my wi-fi devices were turned off and just running on my modern Mac laptop connected to the Telstra provided Netgear cable /wi-fi modem via an ethernet cable:  I got 27 mega bits per second down load speed.  This clearly shows it is the Telstra system problem in many  respects and NOT me the customer nor blaming slow speeds on web sites being slow or the customer equipment!

Wake up Telsta!  (Indeed I suspect Optus etc too for their customers!)

This descrepancy of download speeds is talked about by so many people that it clearly shows that on average the "system" - that is Telstra - is at fault!  (My neighbours on Optus cable have this year for the last few months - but not last summer - noticed the exact same slowing of download speeds too often, even for just opening basic web sites like the weather bureau or a car dealer's web site or downloading PDF from the local Monash uni, etc etc etc.

Telstra needs to remember that people like me pay a regular monthly fee and expect on average a regular monthly service. Maybe not always near 30 mega bits - the max on my plan and modum and quite good enought frankly - but not have to accept an average speed that includes more and more periods of  VERY SLOW speeds.

How about it Telstra?!

No doubt some moderator will come back with a standard Telstra provided marketing spin disengenous type reply of how "good Telstra is", of "their huge growth in customers" and how they are "spending billions $ a year"  blah blah blah.. All just spin, even if true in certain abstract terms. It does not help improve my service nor that of millions of others to what we are paying for.

All this is also partly caused subliminly by GREED at a senior corporate level. 

My neighbours were told by Optus (when compaining to them about slower speeds this year and indeed over time degradation of their cable system speeds)  that one issue is that they at Optus as with all Aussie telcos (Optus said) are loathed tp pay more and invest more because the NBN is coming and will change all that / change everything!  If that is true (and knowing how greed runs corporate Head Offices everywhere I would not be surprised) then that is indeed a sad state of affars. I'd assume Telstra is also playing at the same thing.

David

Melbourne - Knox area

BronteAndy

Thanks David,  Your message makes sense and is a revelation.

NotHappyJan15

I PAY (hard earned money) to Telstra for a broadband speed of 30Mbps download speed (download..... Upload speed is another argument for later!). I complained to them directly once before.... but they treat me (an IT tech) like I am an ignorant person, and word the whole conversation around the pretense that I dont understand how things work.... and continue to spin the conversation around and around their desire to dumb me down. WRONG! AND I AM SUPER HIGHLY OFFENDED!!!!!

I NEVER acheive 30Mbps.... EVER! The last time I complained they did a 'line check' which they said was normal and then sent a technician to my premises to snoop through my modem, privacy settings, cables etc. and test the cables etc.

I informed the "tech support" lmfaorotf; that I did all of those tests already... but no...... A Telstra tech has to see the numbers on my own screen for themselves.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS...... Telstra/Bigpond are EXACTLY what the rest of the world are laughing about! And I am fed up paying for .... 'fluff'!

I propose that we start a 'Class Action' law suit against Telstra/Bigpond. The time is ripe..... Credit card surchargers are being sued.... LETS TAKE IT AL THE WAY!

A quarter of my bandwith is consumed by ads!!!!!! And it is not even a third of what I pay for!

berenger24
Level 3: Gumshoe

I hace been reporting this for ages to telstra...

all they do is reset my routher and send a techy out and the technician always just tells me that its a congestion issue and telstra are not doing anything about it....

I raised a complaint to Telstra like 5 weeks ago and still nothing....Unfotunatly ADSL is worse so I wont go back to that but telstra and just taking the pi$$ now out of customers paying all this money for cable ulitmate...

daytime 120MBPS... during the evening 4 MBPS....

I keep saying it here over and over and over and over and over.....Telstra are the worst...I even go to a store and tell them about it and they just refer me to online help -  the circle is never ending..

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi berenger24,

When it comes to organising relief for congestion, this needs to go to the network planning team for approvals. Unfortunately, we are unable to resolve this issue for all affected exchanges all at once. As you have submitted a complaint, you can follow up on the complaint by calling 1800 814 242 and providing your complaint reference number.

- Shelly

stikxx

Shelly, I'm sorry, but that answer is NOT good enough!!
I too have had ridiculous highs and lows from 110mbps, down to 1.9mbps.
I complained hard and loud enough, and finally a tech had to come out to see the 300 odd Ookla speed test results to finally agree something was not right...derrrrrrr.
They FINALLY worked out it was a "Load Sharing" issue at the exchange, MAGICALLY it was fixed the next day!!
Now though, 2 months down the track the very same thing is happening, and I will have to call Telstra "Tech Support" what a joke of a name, yet again at vast time and phone cost expense to me.
It is so simplistic of you to brush people off, as Telstra have a habit of doing.
Just shame on you and your overpriced erratic so called superspeed broadband plan rubbish. Such a shame it's a duopoly, and people have NO REAL CHOICE to get this service from other suppliers...bring on the NBN...cant wait to see the back of you, as will millions of users.
ZoZoZo

Same here. Appauling download speed. Cable broadband service. Reservior.

ZoZoZo

Yep. 14.3 download / 1.9 upload.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Zozozo,

Have you given us a call to check this out? It's possible your issue is unrelated to the other posters.

Brodie

michaeltarca

I have been dealing with the same issue for 5 months, great internet during the day up to 110 mbps and down to below 20 or below 10 at night at exactly the same times. Been trying to get a solution for 5 months not one Telstra representative wants to help me even case managers, they just say its congestion and cant do anything about it. What i dont understand is, I was getting perfect ping gaming with Internode ADSL2 before i switched to Telstra Cable for the faster download speeds yet i am still getting a bit more MBPS in this congestion than i did with ADSL yet i lag to 400 ping ingame and it is unplayable and no one is offering me a solution and telling me to find another provider.

Lowie

Interesting to read that we are not alone in this issue. Cable has only recently been put on in our area and we one of the first houses to take up the offer so it has been a solid 90-110Mbps and higher for 4 months. Then about 3 weeks ago things started to slow down quite significantly from 113Mbps in the morning to less than 4Mbps in the evening.

I got online and support went thru the usual deal (I am an ex tech as well) turn off...etc etc and then they "reset" at their end. No difference so they were sending a Tech. Next morning it was all good again so I cancelled the Tech... Dumb me didnt even think about congestion until early this week when the same thing happened again. This time I let the Tech come out. First thing in the AM and a solid 110Mbps, but showed screen shots of the slow speeds. He did nothing and left.

Quick check of Crowd Support and it is common and it is, as described early, most likely load at peak times slowing it down. Telstra's terms of service do cover this and they do not guarantee 100Mbps all the time. BUT they do charge for a service that is distinctly different to the 20Mpbs service and promise super fast downloads. So by definition you shoud be getting more than 20Mbps no matter what time of day it is.

Now the install is new, there is no NBN rollout planned for this area and everyone around me apparently is paying for service that Telstra cannot actually provide without upgrades that they should really have put in before they launched the service. Especially knowing full well that they couldnt actually provide what they offered as they were building it.

This then runs into a whole myriad of legal issues as NotHappyJan15 has suggested, because now they are selling a service that is actually flawed from the start. Which means it is likely deceptive as much as breach.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Lowie, 

Thanks for letting us know your concerns. 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you, and investigate this further. 

Please be aware, this team only works Monday to Friday and therefore your initial response will not be until Monday. 

-     Lindy 

michaeltarca

Agree with Lowie 100%, good post mate, I have a technician coming out tommorow, this will be the 5th one, hooray and guaranteed he will not be able to fix my problem or help me in anyway, we are paying for internet that is unusable during the hours we want to use the internet. Sweet deal Telstra.

Lowie

Hi Lindy,

It has now been a few days and I have not heard anything??

Regards

Lowie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Lowie, 

My advice is to keep reporting the slow speed to our Tech Support team (133 933 or via Live Chat) when it happens again.  If you notice it happening during a certain time of day accept the offered technicians appointment which is closest to that time.  The more fault reports that are raised within a certain time period will trigger an escalation to a higher level team for further investigation.

- Ben

mjbuckley

Ben, a very good suggestion, if it wasn't for the fact that you can be waiting in a queue for over 30 minutes sometimes.

Lowie

Thanks Ben,

Makes sense, squaeky wheel and all...but the average wait time is nearly an hour and I would be doing it every night of the week.

It is also completely unacceptable for that to be the solution. I have made the complaint numerous times. A tech has come and seen that it is not my setup and has reported that back.

About an hour ago it was running at 5.9Mbps not even 6% of what I am paying for.

I wonder how telstra would react if I was paying on the basis of the quality of the service?

Macman-Genie

If its any consellation I am with Optus cable and have had similar experiences since September.

Congestion

Promise of equipment on order

Promise of equiment being installed

10mbps slower to the US than Australia

My feelling now is that ISP are restructuring thier offerings, less for more it is still unclear as to when

this will be resolved. According to a contract Optus Cable linesman Cable will be out new NBN so no

fiber to the door. This theory goes with a family memeber that worked for Visionstream that designed

the schematics for the cable and that it was designed to upgrade at the local or subsation end. Although

I think that the substations being in charge of massive area's have been already upgraded.

It would be nice to see an anonomous post by someone from Visionsream or a engineer telling us what

is going on, if anything.

If there is anyone to blame its this Pommy chief product officer of Netflix Neil Hunt and his team that are supposed to be like US Navy SEAL teams, but for tech.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/building-netflix-australia-how-netflix-is-gearing-up-for-the-land-...

The big question is for each ISP is what ratio of Netflix account to Open Connect boxes?

Another question I have is that will Goverment Data retension slow down internet and by how much?

lastivka

I find Telstra's cable service totally unacceptable. Telstra is running a scam charging us close to $100/month for a cable broadband service in Sydney, that has major "outages" - sometimes intermittent, but now becoming more prevalent, often 100% outages for many hours a number of times a week. We use on average 3GB out of our 300GB allocation.

Using Telstra's own "Broadband Trobleshooting Tool" provides you with the wonderful and reassuring news that "There appears to be an outage in your area". Further investigation gets you back to the beginning with the advice of contacting "Telstra's support team" by phone... As already mentioned this entails being put on a queue and being subjected to recorded messages about how important you are to Telstra, and the wonderful services they offer.... Finally you get to talk to a person from the Phillipines, who has no idea, and after lengthy and tedious questioning they "check things" and then tell you what you already know - the problem is an "outage" at the local exchange.

Accessing the "Service Status" page you find out that your broadband cable service at the local exchange is currently "interrupted" for the next 2 whole days!! and that "Some Broadband Cable customers may be unable to connect to the internet or experience slower than expected browsing speeds in this area."

Telstra expects their customer to accept this, while they make mega profits!

overkill

I have been through this slow cable ultimate plan.
Its the ultimate way to get the worst internet for the dearest price.
Telstra dont care becuase they are getting their money both ways.
The worst is when they send out their tech and they keep you stuck at home for half a day and cant solve anything.
I tell you guys what, lets all take this further we are all paying premium price for something we dont get.
So i propose calling the ombudsmen and asking to have a big discount or even free till we get what we pay for.
If you dont pay, telstra are very happy to slow your service.
I think tomarrow I'll make a call and keep everyone updated with what happens.
TELSTRA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER YOUR STEALING OUR MONEY
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Overkill,

Sorry you haven't had the best experience so far Smiley Sad When you waited at home, was the technician able to see the low speeds? Can I help at all?

Brodie

darren82

moved from Optus to Telstra thinking there cable speeds would recieve better priority which was the case given to us by the Telstra shop experts. Unfortunately cannot report any difference. Obviously there needs to be an upgrade of the Eastwood exchange in NSW as peak times we are lucky to get anything higher than 5mb download. Tonight we suffered wil a 2mb connection. Paying for a speed boost and getting these results is clearly unacceptable regardless of peak usgage times. How are you going to redress this Telstra?
blitzu

Hi All I think I am a bit late to this.

But I am getting so frustrated with Telstra. The last 4 months I have been getting pathetic speeds as slow as 1mega bit.

I am on the ultimate package plus I am paying extra for speed boost so I should be getting around  or close to 100 mega bits. To be honest I will be happy if I can get 30 mega bits. I have rang Telstra on many occasions I have done many trouble shooting sessions have also upgraded the modem to the Netgear Telstra Gateway Max C6300BD, have had several technicians come out and tell me everything is fine from my end and it is a congestion issue. Telstra keeps telling me they are working on it but how long is a piece of string? 

I am seriously considering changing service providers I can go onto ADSL2 and pay a lot less money and probably get around 20 to 30 megabits.

Latest speed test results 30/01/16 9.42pm:

Latency 274ms  Download speed 3.19Mbps  Upload speed 1.20Mbps 

Seriously Telstra 1 mega bits come on on the Ultimate package with the speed boost.

MarcG1

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing the same issue for the last month or so.

I have called Telstra more times than I can remember and I get the same 'have you tried turning it off and on again' 

I have raised a complaint with the TIO and I strongly suggest everyone else experiencing the same slow speeds during peak ( when we need to use it ) do the same. 

Go here, it only takes a few minutes.

TIO Making a complaint

You should be contacted by their local disputes resolution team.

I little from the TIO's website about their powers

Powers
We are able to handle complaints about telephone and internet services, including by collecting any documents or information relevant to the complaint. We have the authority to decide the resolution of a complaint (the telecommunications company is legally obliged to implement) up to $50,000, and make recommendations up to $100,000. For complaints we received before 1 July 2012, we can make binding decisions up to $30,000 and recommendations up to $85,000.

Heimie

Well it seems like I’m living the same dream as everyone else in this forum. Currently I’m paying for cable speed with the ultimate add on and yet my speed tests to the Telstra exchange in Melbourne reads 116 mbps at 2am and between 3 to 8 mbps (unloaded modem) during normal viewing time. I will not consider Foxtel because line speed degrades too much.  After reporting the incident to Telstra they sent out a tech who after viewing some atrocious pings declared it was the modem and I need to buy a new one. Interestingly he had the "new ones" in the back of the van so why not connect a test unit and prove the diagnosis? Yes, I chose not to reveal my communications engineering qualifications and in a past life I would have failed any tech that did not validate their fault diagnosis during training. Interestingly, after the Tech left, Telstra never got back to me as promised nor did promises of refunding fees for the times affected ever manifest itself within my bills.

If you want escalation don’t waste your time trying to build up a repertoire of complaints for Telstra’s sake, simply provide a detailed complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman as someone kindly indicated earlier. I also suggest you notify the department of fair trading as I believe that what Telstra sells compared to what it delivers borders on false advertising. Finally if you are articulate enough provide articles to the suite of Australian Computer magazines. I will be doing all of the above as I simply don’t have the time or patience to deal with shopfront stewards.

I believe that Telstra and Optus should be compelled to provide assurances that a cable users bandwidth will not be degraded below 20mbps as a direct cause of peak line load and that this be declared in their sales media.

GECOMM_BS

What's laughable are Telstra's crowd supports responses. I've been dealing with this exact issue for 6 months at the Pendle Hill exchange in NSW. I've had 7 techs visit, they've replaced the hardware and re-terminated all the connections from the Telstra pit all the way to socket in my house 3 times. The funny part of it is, they know what the problem is but they do it anyway knowing it won't make a difference. I have 5 brand new cable modems at home. Again, the techs know it won't make a difference and give them to me anyway.

On Sunday, a network tech came out and confirmed what we all know simply because I threatened to take my complaints to the TIO. Luckily enough he came just after the UFC was finished as he took my service down for about an hour.

There has to be something we can do as a group. I pay for the cable extreme speeds like many of them you and I'm lucky to get 4mbps anytime after 7pm. I run a small IT business where I sell to and support many SMB. My office is at home, and I bring many servers and workstations home for installation of software and configuration before completing it at the clients office. I do this because my internet speeds were far more superior to any of my customers. I haven't been able to successfully do any of this for 6 months. I've recently had to take up a shared office space with a decent ADSL service to do this.

I've already started writing my submission to the TIO and have records of all calls, visits and speed tests. I hope you all do the same as this is becoming a joke. Telstra are quick to hit you up on late payments and fees while threatening to disconnect you but can't give you what you pay for.
Foolio

I haver been on Tel$tra cable ultimate for 3 years now. Untill about 3-6 months ago I have had a consistent 115 - 100Mbps during off peak & peak times. Now during the evening after 7pm my speeds drop to about 10Mbps and in the moring come back up to 115Mbps.

Rmg

This exactly what is happening to me.

ye1

I was having 100 mbps on cable day and night until recently on my cable internet.  I am connected to Castle Hill exchange.  Recently a few more customers have been added in my street on cable, since then every day by 06:00 pm my speed suddenly drops to 4 to 5 mbps download and is restored to 100 mbps around 12:00 midnight and during the weekends it is always at a slow speed.  Telstra seems to discriminate users who get their T-Box service along with cable and allow them to hog the bandwidth and prevent standard cable users to be limited to 5 mbps max.  I am pretty sure they do not invest in any more infrastructure for better customer experience as it will soon become the problem of NBN as NBN will take over this area from first quarter next calendar year.  So no respite for customer..... In any case, It is true in Australia, the supplier is always right as customers have no easy recourse to resolve issues, even if they did, it is a very expensive and extremely time consuming option to run around technical  support  Unfortunately beggars cannot be choosers ....

Maherwm

Hey guys,

First off, it's some what a relief to know so many people are experiencing this issue. Secondly, i just wanted to have my story heard to see if anyone has found a resolution.

The issue became quite obvious at the end of feb/start of march, during the days (mon-fri) the internet speeds were roughly 100mb/s - However from 5/6pm speeds would drop to 4-7mb/s with a consistent upload of 2.41mb/s. During weekends from 1am - 9am speeds were back to normal, however during the day they would revert back to the steady 4-7mbps.

Is it really just the load sharing at the exchange that telstra has to fix? Currently i am on the 'waiting list' to have a tech sent out even though myself, an IT tech, has checked the current network i have. 

I have called 6 times since and recieved a few more in regards to this issue, but it is the same story each time. 

"Sir i will need to run a line test..." - "Sir can you please reset to factory defaults" - "Sir please change your wifi password"

Can an ordinary customer request Telstra to check their exchange? The most frustrating issue i have had to date. I have had cable for a couple years now and have not had an issue, all of a sudden, this. Please send help!

Thanks,

Disgruntled customer

ye1

No technological setting change on the modem / router will help when it is very clear that a service changes its speed like a yo yo when none of the devices  at a customer site including the modem / router remain untouched.  It is true some of the soho modems and routers can lose traction in providing required speed due to overheating or some sort of a temporary hardware malfunction but that should resolve by booting after a 20 sec gap, over 99% of the time.  Even after several such attempts if speeds change only at specific times in the day or night, it cannot be a end user  issue, it is a provider network issue. It is a fact that network contention is high for consumer grade networks but Telstra prides itself that even for consumer grade networks it is far superior to its competition.  But having gone through all the customer issues for Telstra services in this forum, the statement that its consumer internet service is far superior from its competition, seems to be far from being true.  I agree that people who pay for higher downloads and higher bandwidth need to get higher proportion of the bandwidth pie based on the contention but most customers are on the same level playing field and hence must get share of the same bandwidth proportion and not 4 mbps download when they are paying for 100 mbps.  Technologically having advanced so much in this stone age, I do not see any reason why it cannot be achieved and allocated 24x7 based on contracted option and the active contention levels..

NotHappy_Jan

I too am part of the Castle Hill exchange and in the last week my speeds have been getting worse by the minute, to make things more frustrating 2 weeks ago i paid the extra to have 100/2 speed boost. as of 930 pm these are my current speed Last Result:
Download Speed: 2533 kbps (316.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2187 kbps (273.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 20 ms
Jitter: 95 ms
Packet Loss: 1%
13 March 2016 at 9:32:02 PM AEDT

My sons 4g Vodafone service is getting 30/15 he uses his mobile broad band because THIS service is HORIBLE.

TELSTRA INVEST INVEST INVEST in your Infrastructure keep your customers happy

Not Happy JAN .........

whitespace

When will someone at Telstra take complaints made on this Forum Topic seriously?

We are paying a premium amount for absolutely dreadful service on our Cable Broadband Super Fast Plan/Platinum/XL Bundle. 

It is simply not good enough to get speeds of less than 1 mbps download like we did this evening, when we are paying for a service that is supposed to be closer to 100 mbps.

It is also not good enough to pay $130 per month, when sometimes we have to abandon the Cable connection altogether and use mobile devices to connect to the Internet.

I think it's time I placed a call to the Telecommunications Ombudsman to try and force Telstra to respond formally to our complaints, and perhaps even get them to upgrade their exchanges/nodes, or give us a discount on this extremely shoddy service.

Support Team
Support Team

Your connection speeds can be affected by a range of factors, such as your line quality and distance to the exchange or hub and network traffic to the sites or services you use online. The information at https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/How-To-Troubleshoot-Speed-Issues/ta-p/27813... can help troubleshoot some common speed problems, and if there are any network faults or maintenance works in your area affecting broadband services these will be advised via our Service Status page at http://servicestatus.telstra.com/. If nothing is listed there then our tech teams on 133 933 would be best to contact for investigation and assistance.

ye1

Hi Greg,

More frequent testing may be required for ADSL based on the nature of copper and the associated CMUX's syncing with the end user modems.  Wired cable services are firm and do not get affected.  The issue raised in this post mainly relates to cable.  It is a fact that when there are multiple customers in a sequence in a straight line, as all of them become progressively active, the net throughput through each of them share the backend backbone bandwidth.  For example if the backbone back plane speed is say 500 mbps allocated to a segment and if there are ten active customers on 100 mbps then each of them cannot get more than a max of 50 mbps.  Even in this scenario if one user is using apps which allow multi ftp streams, it is likely they will hog the full 100 mbps and others in the chain will get lower than 50 mbps speeds.  The effective speed one gets depends on the contention.  A fault can only be raised if it is with the cable, or the modem, but it is no use raising a fault with 133933 when the speeds change in a particular pattern consistently time and again over a 24 hour period for days and weeks on.  The customer service cannot help as this network behaviour is primarily due to a backbone network issue ....

Arkan

Every one know Telstra cable have congestion problem any news from telestra when they will fix this problem image.png

ye1

Based on the current scenario, Telstra cable speeds are unlikely to change as they will not be spending money on internet infrastructure especially if your area is going to receive NBN soon.  For example, Castle Hill in NSW will not have any respite in improved speeds, as hopefully NBN will start roll out first quarter next year.  NBN was supposed to have been rolled out to Castle Hill over two years ago especially it being the trunking hub for internet within the Sydney metro but it never happened.

whitespace

Thanks for that update. I was phoned by Telstra recently advising that they would look at the connections in the street, but that if they found that the "fault" was at the exchange, then there was nothing they could do unless and until it was upgraded. I assume that this means the Castle Hill exchange, where they are awaiting the upgrades for the NBN.
ye1

That is the case for all suburbs which are going to be rolled out through NBN in the next year or so and Castle Hill exchange is one of them.
origina

Hi All

Yes i have the same cable ultimate slow speed... download 5.35 mbps and upload 2.03 mbps

please fix the problem telstra

chopper255

Since about the 20th of March I am getting about 10 hrs of internet a day (a good day).  Today it was out for 15 hrs depite the outages site saying all is good.Daily calls and several tech visits continue to give me canned reponses that it is an issue between my pit and the exchange.  Apparently escalated to level 2 (whatever that means)

Im over the reasons and the canned answers from the support line.  I want my service back.

Avon

Having unusable slow speeds to overseas locations, posted details in the following thread:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/What-is-going-on-with-Telstra-in-Adelaide-righ...

I'm getting 30Mbit+ to AU, < 3Mbit overseas

whitespace

Hear, hear! It looks like Telstra is simply cost-shifting, and waiting for the NBN to upgrade the Exchanges, rather than them spending the money themselves in the interim.

Let me say this right here and now: Telstra, this is going to come back and bite you, because once the NBN is in, you're going to lose customers, because there will be no reason to stay with you.
wackotecho

issues here, been very slow and unreliable for about 3 days
chopper255

14th day of having a maximum of 10 hrs connection a day.

14th day of no connections between 8pm and 10am.

14th day of canned responses from tech support.

14th day of no resolution.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now