CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Smaart Modem Gen 2 and ADSL filter

Answered

Hi,

I have an ADSL2+ connecttion with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. Recently (possibly due to a lightning storm) the phone line (which plugs into the back of the modem) has horrendous static on it. I unplugged the modem from the wall, and plugged the phone directly into the wall socket, and it works fine. Clearly a problem with the phone line going through the modem. Strangely, the internet is uneffected.

The modem has a hardwired adsl/phone line with an inline filter/splitter going to the wall socket.

My question is, can I get an old adsl splitter/filter plug that into the wall, plug the phone and modem leads into that. Would there be a problem with the adsl signal getting filtered twice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smaart Modem Gen 2 and ADSL filter

You could and there might be slight decrease in speed. The DSL port on the filter is a straight through connection, it is only the phone port which has a filter in it to block any ADSL tones. Instead of using cord that came with modem you could use any Rj11 phone cord to connect DSL port on the modem to DSL port on the filter.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Smaart Modem Gen 2 and ADSL filter

You could and there might be slight decrease in speed. The DSL port on the filter is a straight through connection, it is only the phone port which has a filter in it to block any ADSL tones. Instead of using cord that came with modem you could use any Rj11 phone cord to connect DSL port on the modem to DSL port on the filter.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit