CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 is NOT in 4G failover!

Answered

I just received an email from Telstra which started off with:

Your Telstra Smart Modem has been connected to Telstra's mobile network for 8 days

Hi,

We've contacted you over the last week because your Telstra Smart Modem is still connected to Telstra's mobile network.

We provide Telstra's mobile network as a backup when your Telstra fixed network isn't available. The way we provide this is explained in our Acceptable Use Policy.

--------------------------------------

The email is from no-reply@telstra.com - I hate letters from no-reply addresses when you really feel you need to reply, because the content is plain WRONG!

My modem has NOT been connected to the mobile network at all. I know this because when I couldn't find any way to disable the LTE connection from the modem interface, I pulled the SIM card, which did disconnect it. Weeks ago.

And when that didn't stop this disappointingly dumb modem being an annoyance on my network (amongst other things if blasts out ARP requests every 5 seconds for a bunch of names I assume it pulled from my DNS for machines which in some cases haven't been online for years) I unplugged its power connector, again over a week ago.

My FritzBox does a good job now (once I converted to Freetz - long story) of handling the ADSL side of things,and I figure if that goes down I can just plug the Telstra box back in.

So, not sure of my options now, i don't want to waste a day with first-level support trying to demonstrate how my modem cannot be on the mobile network, but I also don't want Telstra taking action against me because their monitoring/reporting systems are getting it wrong.

Hopefully some Telstra people monitor these forums and can take action to correct the failed systems?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Modem Gen 2 Arcadyan LH1000 is NOT in 4G failover!

To stop the annoying emails, place SIM card back in modem and connect modem to your ADSL network via modem's WAN port or temporarily disconnect Fritz box modem and connect DSL port of Telstra modem to phone socket.. Once front light is green the modem will notify Telstra it is no longer on 4G backup and the emails should stop. Turn power off before disconnecting LAN or DSL port.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

To stop the annoying emails, place SIM card back in modem and connect modem to your ADSL network via modem's WAN port or temporarily disconnect Fritz box modem and connect DSL port of Telstra modem to phone socket.. Once front light is green the modem will notify Telstra it is no longer on 4G backup and the emails should stop. Turn power off before disconnecting LAN or DSL port.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Done! Now we wait & see Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help (again)!

BTW I got the Fritzbox to connect by using the password set for my bigpond email, NOT the other one they gave me for PPPoE which I used on the Smartmodem.

Would this be because remote provisioning set the Smartmodem to use the email password once it connected?

Highlighted

Yes when the Smart modem or any of Telstra's recent consumer grade modems connect to an server that requires PPPOE authentication the username and password is downloaded to the modem (Seems to defeat the purpose of having a username and password). This occurs on most Telstra ADSL connections but a few have not been configured to do this yet and the username and password has to be manually entered into the smart modem.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit