CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
STANFORD1927
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Smart modem still connected to Telstras mobile network

Answered

Hello I received a text via Telstra mobile yesterday stating I appeared to be still connected to their Mobile network. They stated they needed my help to switch back to Home broadband. I had been on my PC and Tablet during the day .For instructions go to Telstra.com/fix. I did that but could not see any instructions. I tried searching using various phrases but no success. I could call them on 133 933 but would prefer to fix myself. Can any one assist me with relevant information to fix this request from Telstra. I have a Gateway modem. Thanks for any assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem still connected to Telstras mobile network

Hi STANFORD1927,

The Telstra Smart Modem has an inbuilt pre-activated mobile sim card that provides internet connectivity over Telstra’s 4G mobile network when you don’t have access to fixed broadband such as  when waiting for your new connection to become active or moving home. It will also kick in if there is an outage or your fixed broadband connection drops out for a certain period of time.

You will be notified when your connection switches over to either network.

You will also be able to distinguish through LED indicators on the device which network you are operating on. If your ‘ONLINE’ light is magenta/purple it means you are on the mobile backup connection. If your ‘ONLINE’ light is green it means you are connected to fixed broadband.

As cf4 mentioned if you get one of these text messages saying you're still connected to the mobile network please check your ‘ONLINE’ light, and if it's green then it's been sent by mistake.

If the ‘ONLINE’ light is magenta/purple then it means that there may be a fault which is stopping your modem from connecting to the fixed broadband service, so just step through the online trouble shooting tool as if you have no internet connection.

Hope this helps. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

If your online is green then no problem with connection and txt has been sent by mistake. There is a non fault with these messages being sent by mistake.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi STANFORD1927,

The Telstra Smart Modem has an inbuilt pre-activated mobile sim card that provides internet connectivity over Telstra’s 4G mobile network when you don’t have access to fixed broadband such as  when waiting for your new connection to become active or moving home. It will also kick in if there is an outage or your fixed broadband connection drops out for a certain period of time.

You will be notified when your connection switches over to either network.

You will also be able to distinguish through LED indicators on the device which network you are operating on. If your ‘ONLINE’ light is magenta/purple it means you are on the mobile backup connection. If your ‘ONLINE’ light is green it means you are connected to fixed broadband.

As cf4 mentioned if you get one of these text messages saying you're still connected to the mobile network please check your ‘ONLINE’ light, and if it's green then it's been sent by mistake.

If the ‘ONLINE’ light is magenta/purple then it means that there may be a fault which is stopping your modem from connecting to the fixed broadband service, so just step through the online trouble shooting tool as if you have no internet connection.

Hope this helps. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tenpaku
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Kenobi,
I have a similar problem to STANDFORD1927, but using a different modem.
I'm a new Telstra customer and had a Telstra Smart Modem connected to Telstra Cable Adaptor. Initially my internet was set up on the mobile network as soon as the Smart Modem arrived, and then was transferred across to cable.
I switched modems and everything worked fine, I thought.
However I then received the message "Hi. Your Telstra Smart Modem is still connected to Telstra's mobile network. We need your help to switch it back to the Telstra fixed network.".
My internet was fine going through the Telstra Cable Adaptor to my other modem, so I ignored the message.
Today I receive the following message "Hi, Your Smart Modem has remained connected to Telstra's mobile network for 14 days. If your modem isn't switched back to your Home Broadband, we'll need to disconnect it from the Telstra mobile network".
This has me worried as 1/ My Telstra Smart Modem isn't even connected or turned on, & 2/ If I ever experience a blackout I want to be able to swap back to the Telstra Smart Modem for the mobile coverage.

Do I ignore the 2nd message too or call up Telstra's customer support?
Thank you.

You could try connecting your Telstra Smart Modem back up so that it has a chance to send a signal that it is working on the main link. You should receive a text message saying good news internet connection is working properly. De power the Telstra Smart modem before disconnecting and then connect your modem.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now