CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
lj999
Level 1: Cadet

Smart modem won't connect

Answered

Hi

I have a Smart Modem that used to connect to NBN but suddenly stopped working (link light white, blue or off) and Online light is either off or magenta.  This has been happening for several months and I have raised support calls with Telstra and even a complaint!

I have a loan of a Telstra Gateway with 2 Ethernet ports (and the separate ports for PSTN and DSL with an inline filter in the cable that came in the box) which works fine and connects without a problem.  Problem is I need more Ethernet ports than the 2 in this modem.

I have followed all the instructions for the Smart Modem regarding changing the User Name, restarting dozens of times and it still doesn't connect.  If I enable the Mobile option, it will connect but the mobile signal where I live is so very poor (thanks again Telstra) that this is not a feasible alternative and the voice line doesn't work over the mobile network anyway.

I have spent literally hours on the phone to Telstra to try to resolve this but every time I do, they ask me to reconnect the Smart Modem which means I lose my landline.  As my mobile coverage is so bad, I'm unable to call them (or they call me) on the mobile!!!  So around we go again.  Can anyone assist?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Smart modem won't connect

If the link light is not green then either a faulty modem or a fault on the cable. AS the connection works with another modem it looks like the modem is faulty. If a factory reset doesn't work it could be a faulty modem or faulty cord. You could try connecting modem to phone socket using the cord with the filter that came with the F@st5355. If that doesn't work request a replacement modem from support.

An alternative is to run the F@st5355 in bridge mode and connect the Telstra Smart Modem's WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the F@st5355. To put Fast5355 in Bridge mode log into the modem http://10.0.0.138 and go to Advanced > Gateway Settings > Port Mode,turn Bridge Mode Enabled to On and click on apply. Default password is Admin. See section 14 of this document for instructions on setting gateway to Bridge Mode

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

I'd recommend trying a factory reset of the Smart Modem, the reset button is on the front near the power light, hold it down for 10 seconds with a paper clip and allow 5-10 minutes for it to reset and reconnect.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Accepted Solution

If the link light is not green then either a faulty modem or a fault on the cable. AS the connection works with another modem it looks like the modem is faulty. If a factory reset doesn't work it could be a faulty modem or faulty cord. You could try connecting modem to phone socket using the cord with the filter that came with the F@st5355. If that doesn't work request a replacement modem from support.

An alternative is to run the F@st5355 in bridge mode and connect the Telstra Smart Modem's WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the F@st5355. To put Fast5355 in Bridge mode log into the modem http://10.0.0.138 and go to Advanced > Gateway Settings > Port Mode,turn Bridge Mode Enabled to On and click on apply. Default password is Admin. See section 14 of this document for instructions on setting gateway to Bridge Mode

View solution in original post

lj999

Thanks for the response. I requested and eventually received a second Smart Modem with new cable but exactly the same thing happens. I also tried using the cable from the F@st5355 with the filter on the Smart Modem but that didn't help either!
I will try your other suggestion. Fingers crossed. and thanks in advance

Forgot to mention before putting F@st5355 in Bridge mode turn off WiFi. If WiFi is on a WiFi device might connect to the F@st5355 and grab the single public IP address.
lj999

I set up the bridge which worked well but it meant I didn’t have a landline and given my mobile coverage is so bad at home, I need the landline so have had to disable the bridge. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Didn't the landline work on the Telstra Smart Modem? It should work if the landline had been working on the Smart modem originally before the problem started.

The only other alternative is to use Telstra Smart Modem as a WiFi and LAN switch. There are two ways of doing this. The easy way is to set Telstra Smart Modem in Bridge mode and connected its WAN port to a LAN port on the F@st5335. The disadvantage of Bridge mode is that you will not be able to access GUI of Telstra Smart modem to make changes without first performing a factory reset.

See 14 of this document. The comment about turning WiFi off does not apply in this case.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @lj999,

Thanks for contacting us and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your nbn service.  I’ve passed this conversation on to our tech team who work between the hours of Monday-Friday 9am-5pm AEST. I’m confident they will be able to help. Thank you for your patience.

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

lj999

Looks like that’s done the trick! Phone is working, I’m connected to the internet and looks like the ports are working! Many many thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now