CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Lee81
Level 2: Rookie

So many contradicting stories... 24hrs to back out of a house due to no internet availability.

Answered

Hi all,

Could someone please explain this for me - I'm in a bit of a urgent need for help, have already called Telstra and forwarded on numerous requests/service complaints, but unfortunately I'm out of time tomorrow to back out of a property we are looking at and don't expect answers back anytime soon.

I require internet for work purposes, and also another unrelated home business. Due to the kind of work I do, I use a fair bit of data so mobile broadband is out of the question.

I've spoken to Telstra who have told me that broadband isn't available at the address. The address is around 15kms from the city, in a ~10 year old well maintained estate. The street in question is a very short culdesac that has only 15 houses in it, and this house is at the end.

The exchange/data ID no. is AARE:43.

However, in doing online checks, I've firstly seen that apart from houses either side of me , majority have ADSL2+ available to them, and two other randomly placed houses cant. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the street availability that I can see.

I've made inquiries with a contact who is a Telstra field technician, who has said that the house in question is currently  connected to an ADSL port used by the previous occupants - this port is in a CAN only 372m away, however the voice line is now disabled. When using the previous occupants home phone number to do online checks, many other ISP's say that ADSL is then available.

Telstra initially told me that the reasons for not providing the service were high transmission loss (main exchange is 3.3km away so highly possible), but then when I mentioned the top hat rim that the maps show I fall under the next call centre operator said maybe the ports were full. So I checked the RIM, and this seemed to show that 111 were still free.

I really can't get a straight answer out of Telstra - my next option is to sign with iiNet who won't know whether they can provide a service until they apply for a new phone line, however I would prefer to use Telstra, as this is what we use on our large corporate network.

Can anyone shed any further light on what's going on? The tech advised that using this site might be better than the overseas call centre to get this looked into further...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lee81
Accepted Solution

Re: So many contradicting stories... 24hrs to back out of a house due to no internet availability.

I have an update and good news:  the order delayed message is apparently not an issue, this occurs on the due date of the appointment, and my order already shows as completed.

I've now spoken with both Renee (employee D728502) and Matt (employee D305033) based in Adelaide, who have both given fantastic customer service and have exceeded my expectations in dealing with this matter.  Not only do I now have an ADSL2 compatible phone line, but Renee has also consulted with technical colleagues and determined that my line has been placed on the correct cabinent a stone's throw from the house. Subsequently, all being well we will have a very strong ADSL connection on Friday!

I'm very happy with the result as it has saved us significant stress of finding another home, however I am disaappointed with the amount of work I had to do to get the result. Rather than just accepting the advice from the call centre or the website, I looked into this myself and after help from a variety of people I learnt that the advice I was given didn't appear correct when compared with the service quality results and apparent cable routing.

If it wasn't for the two on-shore Telstra employee's that I dealt with, I wouldn't be getting anything, as I was told by call centre staff that all I was ever going to be eligible for was wireless broadband - and due to the configuration of the line, other ISP's wouldn't provide anything either. Telstra would have also missed out on a new customer. 

So, thanks very much to the Adelaide staff!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Support Team
Support Team

Re: So many contradicting stories... 24hrs to back out of a house due to no internet availability.

Hey Lee81,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I can appreciate your concerns with the issues you have experienced with having this connection ordered and it will depend on where the line is run for the connection to be completed. If this is to be assigned to the RIM then it may be possible for the connection to be completed. We will need to have further testing on the line completed to be able to confirm as the active line will best determine what we are able to provide. Do you have an old order number for when you have placed an order that we would be able to have a look at and confirm what might be able to be offered at this location? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Lee81

Hi Dan,
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately I've not even been able to put in an order online due to the address showing as broadband not available, and have been met with the above rejections when calling the call centre, so I've never been able to actually get an order number. As stated though the last occupants of the property did indeed have ADSL - I'm trying to confirm further today if this was with telstra or another provider.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the reply and clarification Lee81

It may be required that a home line is connected first to determine the eligibility if ADSL. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Lee81

I don't particularly want a home phone (for voice anyway) but if it's a requirement then it's not a big deal. Hypothetically if I was to apply for a phone line, how long would it take to be advised on ADSL availability?
Support Team
Support Team

An active home line is required for ADSL connectivity. 

If a home line is ordered, a check for ADSL can be done at the same time with our sales team. 

Lee81

Thank you.

I have ordered a phone line and ADSL connection after finally getting hold of someone here willing to do it, however apparently I will not know whether ADSL is possible until after the technicians attend in the next four business days.

So far I've been told that it's highly unlikely because I'm on a RIM. (First failure reason was too far from exchange, 2nd was not enough ports, now this).

How in this day and age can a house that is only 372m from the RIM not get ADSL on a line with attenuation of 3.54db? This property has no access to ADSL apparently of any shape, no cable, and is not on the NBN roll-out plan for the next 3 years... even dial-up is no longer available.

I'd also like to draw attention to the Telstra generated map which encompasses our premises pertaining to a local cabinet (yes, a RIM) that was upgraded to support ADSL2+ by addition of an Alcatel ISAM housed in a Top Hat.

The recent Telstra wholesale reports show over a hundred vacant ADSL2+ ports on that cabinet. There aren't that many houses in this area of the map, and presumably there are ample available ports for all houses covered.

Perhaps a transposition will work? What is going on?

I'm waiting to hear back from Matt, the CSO who is looking after the application and has been very helpful and is obviously doing his best for me, it's really just that time is of the essence and I need to know one way or the other as soon as humanly possible.

Here are some test results I've got my hands on:

SSS

SSS Result:
6H, Fail, M477, Transposition may be available. Submit SSS Transposition request.
Limiting Factors:
Primary Network: Incompatible Infrastructure Element
DSL-L2

8Mbit Result:
Open 1 (Zone 1), Fail, M204, DSL is not supported. Transmission loss too high.
Limiting Factors:
Beyond Limits: Transmission loss
24Mbit Result:
Open 2 (Zone 1), Fail, M204, DSL is not supported. Transmission loss too high.
Limiting Factors:

Cable Details
Total cable length:
372 m
Cable attenuation (ADSL):
3.54 dB
Bridge taps – length >= 25m: 0

Bridge taps – length < 25m: 0

8Mbit Result:
Limiting Factors:
24Mbit Result:
Open 2 (Zone 1), Fail, M204, DSL is not supported. Transmission loss too high.
Limiting Factors:

More checks on houses in the street:

House number 28:
Open 1 (Zone 1), Pass, Y002, Product is supported.
Open 2 (Zone 1), Pass, Y002, Product is supported.

House number 32:

House number 35:

House number 31:

House number 27:

House Number 23:
Open 1 (Zone 1), Pass, Y002, Product is supported.
Open 2 (Zone 1), Pass, Y002, Product is supported.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Lee81, 

Did Matt advise of a time frame for follow up? 

Lee81

Hi Ivan,

Matt arranged yesterday for the phone installation to occur today. However when I've checked the order status this morning, it shows as delayed... I have no further information than that unfortunately and if this doesn't happen today, I'll probably cancel all together and find a new house.
Lee81

My understanding of the situation is that the previous occupants had some form of ADSL which was not Telstra (I was told this after obtaining the previous phone number). Apparently Telstra can no longer see who this was through though. So, I'm guessing that instead of hitting the nearby cabinet DA58 (which I've found and is about 150m as the crow flies), the cable terminates at the distant exchange, and was probably on ADSL1 or had <8mbps.

The nearby DA58 cabinet has definitely had a top hat upgrade (I've sighted this), and I'm crossing my fingers that once the techs head out they might put my cable back onto the cabinet and onto one of the many free ISAMs... Does that sound logical?
Lee81
Accepted Solution

I have an update and good news:  the order delayed message is apparently not an issue, this occurs on the due date of the appointment, and my order already shows as completed.

I've now spoken with both Renee (employee D728502) and Matt (employee D305033) based in Adelaide, who have both given fantastic customer service and have exceeded my expectations in dealing with this matter.  Not only do I now have an ADSL2 compatible phone line, but Renee has also consulted with technical colleagues and determined that my line has been placed on the correct cabinent a stone's throw from the house. Subsequently, all being well we will have a very strong ADSL connection on Friday!

I'm very happy with the result as it has saved us significant stress of finding another home, however I am disaappointed with the amount of work I had to do to get the result. Rather than just accepting the advice from the call centre or the website, I looked into this myself and after help from a variety of people I learnt that the advice I was given didn't appear correct when compared with the service quality results and apparent cable routing.

If it wasn't for the two on-shore Telstra employee's that I dealt with, I wouldn't be getting anything, as I was told by call centre staff that all I was ever going to be eligible for was wireless broadband - and due to the configuration of the line, other ISP's wouldn't provide anything either. Telstra would have also missed out on a new customer. 

So, thanks very much to the Adelaide staff!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now