Highlighted
Corwell
Level 2: Rookie

Some questions about switching to nbn FTTN from ADSL2+

Answered

Hi,

I live in WA, and our suburb is expected to get nbn through FTTN in a few months. We received a connection kit recently with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 (Arcadyan version) after receiving a text. We currently have ADSL with a BigPond modem that we got a long time ago. I'm not going to set it up until nbn actually becomes available.

Here are my questions:

1. The Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 we received in our connection includes an ADSL filter with the 2 ends connecting to the DSL and PSTN, but some other connection kits I've seen include just a DSL cable connecting to the DSL port on the modem, and the PSTN port isn't used. Isn't an ADSL filter really only for ADSL connections? The box says for FTTN and FTTB, and from what I've heard you can use a filter, but connecting the DSL cable directly from the outlet to the port is recommended. If so, why does my kit only include an ADSL filter?

2. Why are there 2 different manufacturers of the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2? Is the Arcadyan version bad? Also is the UI for the router settings the same for both Technicolor and Arcadyan? My current modem is a BigPond Technicolor gateway.

3. We currently have an ADSL filter installed for our current connection, which I think was setup by the original owners of the house, and it isn't removable. It's attached to the wall, not like a normal filter, where you can connect the input end to the wall outlet with a cable, and it appears to be wired into the incoming ADSL connection. Should I get an electrician in to take out the filter and put in an RJ11 keystone?

4. Does nbn FTTN use PPPoe? Will I need a username and password?

5. If I were to connect the new modem now, would the service only become available once nbn is ready in our area? I only want to set it up when it can actually connect, because apparently you can't go back to ADSL once it is connected. 

6. In the bundle details in our account (not my account), it shows a BigPond email address next to the internet tab, an email address that we do not use (we use a different BigPond email address). We do not have a mailbox set up for this address. What is this email address? Is this the PPPoe username?

7. Our current plan is standard speed - ADSL2+. When nbn arrives, and we connect the new modem, will it switch over to standard speed nbn? We are hoping to upgrade it to standard plus (nbn 50), when would we change the bundle? After we have connected, or before?

I think that just about sums it up. I just wanted to understand the process early to make it quick and easy. My parents aren't very tech savvy, so I'm trying to get everything sorted out for them.

Thanks,
Corey
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Some questions about switching to nbn FTTN from ADSL2+

1. The kit only includes the the one cord with the ADSL filter / splitter because although its recommended that a cord without filter be used for FTTN a cord with a filter should not effect the FTTN connection unless the filter is faulty. The filter only effects the cable going to the PSTN port on the modem and filters out the ADSL tones so that you don't hear the tones on the Telephone.
  2. That is a very good question but I suppose Telstra did it so that they are not tied to one manufacturer. It certainly causes a lot of confusion having two manufacturers as the GUI is slightly different and there are a couple of extra functions on the Arcadyan modem that are not on the Technicolor Modem. Would have made more sense for Telstra to have used separate names for each modem. At least its not as bad as when Telstra had two modems named Telstra Gateway Max with entirely different GUIs, physical appearance and one was for cable connections and the other was for DSL connections.
  3. If you connect the new modem to the same socket as is currently used by the ADSL modem theoretically there should be no problems. The filter only filters the sockets used for the phones. Having extra phone sockets and the filter wired could reduce the speed of the connection and in the worst case scenario were you are far from the node and the signal is marginal it could cause problems with the connection. Any faults in house wiring are more likely to effect an FTTN connection than an ADSL due to the higher frequencies VDSL uses.
  4. Telstra NBN uses IPOE (No username or password required). Some other RSPs use PPPOE.
  5. NBN will only be connected once it becomes available in the area. If you do connect the new modem now it will send a signal to Telstra that you are ready for NBN and once NBN becomes available you will get a text or email from Telstra telling you the date you will be connected and unless you ring up and cancel the transfer  as soon you receive the message you will automatically be connected.
  6. Log into your ADSL modem and go to PPPOE setting on basic broadband page. This will tell you which email address is used as your PPPOE username.
  7. You have the option of changing to one of the new NBN plans or staying on your current plan. Your speed depends on how much you pay per month. If you pay over $80 per month you will be on the 50/20 speed tier. If you pay under $80 dollars per month you will be on the 25/5 speed tier. You can also purchase a speed boost that will put you on the NBN 100/40 speed tier.
    Like ADSL the maximum speed of the FTTN link is limited by cable length and if you are a long way from the node (over 700 meters for 50/40 and over 1 Kilometers for 25/5) your actual speed could be less than the speed tier you are on.
    Below is a link to current Telstra NBN plans. There are also other plans but you can only get information on these by speaking to a Telstra consultant.
    https://www.telstra.com.au/internet

Accepted Solution

The PSTN port on the modem doesn't need to be connected with an NBN connection and if your not using DECT handset paired to the DECT base in the modem you don't need to connect PSTN port on an ADSL connection. You can use the existing cord that is used for your current modem.

If you are out off contract you can convert to one off the NBN plans as Telstra also has the same plans for  ADSL and cable. If your in contract I am not sure if you can change before switching to NBN without paying early termination fee. When you switch to NBN you have the option of remaining on current plan or taking out one off the new plans without having to pay an early termination fee for the current plan. If you call 1800 709 957  they should be able to tell you if you can change without paying an early termination fee.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Accepted Solution

1. The kit only includes the the one cord with the ADSL filter / splitter because although its recommended that a cord without filter be used for FTTN a cord with a filter should not effect the FTTN connection unless the filter is faulty. The filter only effects the cable going to the PSTN port on the modem and filters out the ADSL tones so that you don't hear the tones on the Telephone.
  2. That is a very good question but I suppose Telstra did it so that they are not tied to one manufacturer. It certainly causes a lot of confusion having two manufacturers as the GUI is slightly different and there are a couple of extra functions on the Arcadyan modem that are not on the Technicolor Modem. Would have made more sense for Telstra to have used separate names for each modem. At least its not as bad as when Telstra had two modems named Telstra Gateway Max with entirely different GUIs, physical appearance and one was for cable connections and the other was for DSL connections.
  3. If you connect the new modem to the same socket as is currently used by the ADSL modem theoretically there should be no problems. The filter only filters the sockets used for the phones. Having extra phone sockets and the filter wired could reduce the speed of the connection and in the worst case scenario were you are far from the node and the signal is marginal it could cause problems with the connection. Any faults in house wiring are more likely to effect an FTTN connection than an ADSL due to the higher frequencies VDSL uses.
  4. Telstra NBN uses IPOE (No username or password required). Some other RSPs use PPPOE.
  5. NBN will only be connected once it becomes available in the area. If you do connect the new modem now it will send a signal to Telstra that you are ready for NBN and once NBN becomes available you will get a text or email from Telstra telling you the date you will be connected and unless you ring up and cancel the transfer  as soon you receive the message you will automatically be connected.
  6. Log into your ADSL modem and go to PPPOE setting on basic broadband page. This will tell you which email address is used as your PPPOE username.
  7. You have the option of changing to one of the new NBN plans or staying on your current plan. Your speed depends on how much you pay per month. If you pay over $80 per month you will be on the 50/20 speed tier. If you pay under $80 dollars per month you will be on the 25/5 speed tier. You can also purchase a speed boost that will put you on the NBN 100/40 speed tier.
    Like ADSL the maximum speed of the FTTN link is limited by cable length and if you are a long way from the node (over 700 meters for 50/40 and over 1 Kilometers for 25/5) your actual speed could be less than the speed tier you are on.
    Below is a link to current Telstra NBN plans. There are also other plans but you can only get information on these by speaking to a Telstra consultant.
    https://www.telstra.com.au/internet

Corwell

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I guess having an ADSL filter with FTTN isn't really a problem. With the filter we currently have connected, which is not removable, If I were to leave out the filter included with the new modem, and use the non removable one we currently have, I don't have the cables to connect it to the DSL and PSTN ports on the modem, as the cables for the filter included with our new modem are attached to the filter itself. I'll see what pricing is like for getting the old filter removed by our electrician. 

The modem does say the username is the same as what is shown on the account page, so I am assuming the email shown there is the PPPoe email address, not that it matters, I was just curious.

In regards to updating our plan to standard plus (nbn 50), can we upgrade before our nbn service is connected, or after?

Also here is a picture of our current ADSL filter just to get a better idea of what the problem is. Sorry for the mess of cables. The blue cable is for a WAP in another room using PoE and the white box sticking out of the wall is the ADSL filter, which I haven't been able to remove, as I think it is wired directly to the incoming cable. The black cable is for the landline and the grey cable is for DSL.

IMG_0567.JPG

Thanks,
Corey
Accepted Solution

The PSTN port on the modem doesn't need to be connected with an NBN connection and if your not using DECT handset paired to the DECT base in the modem you don't need to connect PSTN port on an ADSL connection. You can use the existing cord that is used for your current modem.

If you are out off contract you can convert to one off the NBN plans as Telstra also has the same plans for  ADSL and cable. If your in contract I am not sure if you can change before switching to NBN without paying early termination fee. When you switch to NBN you have the option of remaining on current plan or taking out one off the new plans without having to pay an early termination fee for the current plan. If you call 1800 709 957  they should be able to tell you if you can change without paying an early termination fee.

Corwell

Hi, follow up question.
I know nbn still works fine with an ADSL filter, but why does the modem I received come with one while other kits I've seen people receive just have a DSL cable? Why is the kit I received different from others? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to have a single cable?
Thanks,
Corey

We’re the other kits sent to people who were already on NBN?
Corwell

Possibly, not sure. So would we have received one with a filter because we're still on ADSL2+?

Thanks,
Corey

Being on ADSL now is the only reason I could think off for you receiving a cord with the filter.
Corwell

Ok. I'll see if removing the old filter is worth it, and use the filter included. Thanks for the help!
Thanks,
Corey

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now