Highlighted
gilly15
Level 2: Rookie

Speed

Answered

I live in  Reedy Creek,Gold Coast. Nearest exchange Stephens. Can anybody give me an idea of speeds i should recieve. Currently getting 1mbps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Speed

Ok Drat that's poor wording on my behalf, yes anything above 110kb/s is not technically considered a fault. That said Kalak I would argue your point that even if he was coded to 1500 speeds and had a normal 50 attenuation his sync rate on the modem would not necessarily reflect 1500 depending on the network infrastructure but I digress.

Gilly unplug everything in your house that is connected to a phone socket other than the modem and ensure its on a short cable (1 or 2 metres max) this includes phones, filters, faxes etc. Then do a speed test. Do you happen to have a back to base alarm system?

Edit - Note: Even if a service is getting above 110kb/s Tech Support can and will still investigate to see if there is an issue to the point of determining why the speeds are lower than expected but if the minimum speeds for a service that ends up being fault free are above the 110kb/s then Telstra are meeting their obliguations in regards to provided speed.

Lathania

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 23: Superhero

ADSL speeds are variable, however you should receive at least 1.5Mbps.

If you are technically minded, do you mind posting your modem stats (such as attenuation).
Is there any noise/static on your line if you lift the handset/make a call.

If not, then at this speed you can certainly look at troubleshooting and lodging a fault with tech support. They are available 24/7.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
gilly15

Hi Kalak

download speed 0.86 mbps

upload speed 0.21 mbps

ping speed 85 ms

What are you basing the speed judgement on Kalak? ADSL minimum speed guarentees are 110kb/s or 0.88Mb/s from sources such as speedtest.net.
Lathania

Hi Lathania

The results are from speedtest

gilly15

Also no noise or static.

Level 22: Superhuman

Lathania wrote:
ADSL minimum speed guarentees are 110kb/s or 0.88Mb/s from sources such as speedtest.net.

*ahem* Just to be clear, ADSL service is not sold with any guarantees of minimum speed. If an ADSL service regularly or at least reproduceably fails to achieve speeds higher than 110kB/s, then BigPond will accept there is sufficient cause to investigate the issue as a fault.

A ‘guarantee’ of 110kB/s would be meaningless if a slower speed is what BigPond expects will be observed when and where there is a fault with an ADSL service, and services are not expected to remain without fault 100% of the time.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Lathania,

You are correct that the minimum throughput that they look for is 110KB/s on 1500k or faster services.  However I am talking about sync speed.  If the OP posted his modem stats (as requested) and was syncing at lower than 1500/256 then he could lodge a fault (assuming troubleshooting such as isolation testing had been done with tech support).

In fact, sync speed vs throughput is a great way to determine if it's more likely a line fault exists or if it's more likely to be congestion (assuming ethernet connection and not wifi interference).

The Bigpond FAQ for running an 'official' speedtest, and the associated minimum throughput expectations can be found at https://bigpond.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13468

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
gilly15

does this mean I can only expect 1.5 kbps max?

Gilly15,

If you run the speed test as per the instructions at the bigpond.custhelp link I posted above, and you receive a throughput of 110KB/s or more, Bigpond may not fault the service and consider it to be 'within spec'.

It doesn't hurt to contact support though, as it may be many things causing this, especially if you've previously had better performance. They can check for congestion in your area, run isolation tests to help determine if it's a faulty device in your home for example.

Accepted Solution

Ok Drat that's poor wording on my behalf, yes anything above 110kb/s is not technically considered a fault. That said Kalak I would argue your point that even if he was coded to 1500 speeds and had a normal 50 attenuation his sync rate on the modem would not necessarily reflect 1500 depending on the network infrastructure but I digress.

Gilly unplug everything in your house that is connected to a phone socket other than the modem and ensure its on a short cable (1 or 2 metres max) this includes phones, filters, faxes etc. Then do a speed test. Do you happen to have a back to base alarm system?

Edit - Note: Even if a service is getting above 110kb/s Tech Support can and will still investigate to see if there is an issue to the point of determining why the speeds are lower than expected but if the minimum speeds for a service that ends up being fault free are above the 110kb/s then Telstra are meeting their obliguations in regards to provided speed.

Lathania

No, but if he normally gets (plucking from air here) 350KB/s and now gets 100KB/s his sync rate could tell us a lot.

If he's still synced up at 4500/700 for example then it's likely some form of congestion or interference at the CPE like Wifi. If his sync was now 1167/100 then we know something is not right on the line (could be as simple as a bung filter).

This is why I always try and find out the modem stats and previous speed history as well.

gilly15

transfer rate was 101kb if that helps Kalak.

Is that after doing the isolation test as I described Gilly?
Lathania

unplugged other phone line speed now-

download 1.31 mbps

upload  0.21 mbps

ping 85 ms

Looks like I have a fault on the other line,

Thanks guys.

gilly15

no
gilly15

now at 1.59 kb after isolating other line.

Gilly,

If that's the case you can find out exactly what is causing the problem by introducing the equipment back into the line one at a time and doing a speed test each time. If there is nothing that seems to be causing the problem 100% give Tech Support a call on 137 933 and get them to check the network, sometimes an external fault can make your equipment play up when not in isolation. (Or in isolation.)

No harm in double checking before you go buying a new phone or something Smiley Happy
Lathania

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now