CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Geeezuz
Level 2: Rookie

Speedboost 100/40 only getting half of max speed

Answered

I got speed boost which is supposed to be max 100 mbps download speed and 40 mbps upload speed however after using speedtest quite a few times I only manage to get between 40 - 50 mbps for download speed and between 17-22 mbps upload speed. I was told that NBN speed is not dependent on how far you are from the exchange and that I should be able to get max speed which would be around 90/35. So why am I only getting half of the max speed. Is the Telstra supplied modem not good enough to support the max speed of 100/40. All my computers are using wifi wireless N. How do I get better speed closer to the 100/40 ball park speed?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Speedboost 100/40 only getting half of max speed

Hi Geeezuz,

Have you had the chance to run a couple speed tests while having Ethernet cable plugged in? Is there much difference with WiFi vs Ethernet speed test?

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Due to limitation in technology a majority of WiFi adaptors will not exceed 54 Mbps. The quoted speeds for speed boost are based on connection to the modem, and not over WiFi.

Depending on how you use your devices, there are options such as powerline extenders: http://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi/

These will enable devices such as gaming consoles, Smart TV's and set-top boxes to have a direct connection, and utilise the full speed similar to if they were plugged into the modem with Ethernet cable, but without the need to run the cable through the house. 

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi Geeezuz,

Have you had the chance to run a couple speed tests while having Ethernet cable plugged in? Is there much difference with WiFi vs Ethernet speed test?

Ivan

Geeezuz

Using ethernet cable speed test comes up with pretty much full max speed of 96 Mbps download speed and 35 Mbps upload speed.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Due to limitation in technology a majority of WiFi adaptors will not exceed 54 Mbps. The quoted speeds for speed boost are based on connection to the modem, and not over WiFi.

Depending on how you use your devices, there are options such as powerline extenders: http://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi/

These will enable devices such as gaming consoles, Smart TV's and set-top boxes to have a direct connection, and utilise the full speed similar to if they were plugged into the modem with Ethernet cable, but without the need to run the cable through the house. 

Ivan

Geeezuz

I have three computers in the house all running wifi. The two laptops don't use wireless adapters because they have in built wireless systems but the desktop uses a wireless adapter. They all run wireless N which has max speed of 150-300 Mbos. For the desktop since I knew I was getting speed boost from Telstra of 100/40 speed I changed my wireless G adapter (54 Mbps max speed) to a wireless N usb adapter which has a max speed of 300 Mbps. It seems the wireless modem supplied by Telstra which is the T-Gateway is not good enough to support max speed through wifi even though it runs wirless N. I took one omy laptops and place it next to the Tesltra wireless modem and run wifi and I got between 70-80 Mbps download speed although the speed is down stable because some tests get me around 40-50 Mbps.....upload speed however is stable always getting around 30-34 Mbps. Since Telstra won'y allow their customers to use a different model or brand modem I am stuck with T-Gateway wireless modem. The next wireless system above wireless N is wireless AC and that will give me max speed of 100 Mbps using wifi for my computers in the other rooms. Wirless AC is capable of supporting speed up to over 800 Mbps while wirless G only supports up to 54 Mbos and N between 150-300 Mbps. Why does Telstra insist on making us one particular wirless modem only. Other ISP's allow their NBN customers to use whatever model and brand modem they want not just the ones suppllied by the ISP so they can boost their system with best latest technology in the market and get the best system possible?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Geeezuz,

I can definitely pass on the feedback about wanting more options when it comes to our modems. If the standard modem Wi-Fi isn't doing what you need, we have had instances where customers bridge the modem and use their preferred Wi-Fi extenders.

Brode

Geeezuz

If I want to bridge the Telstra modem I need to get a wireless router only right? Not another wireless MODEM router. Something like this eBay item which is connected by ethernet cable to the Telstra T-Gateway will bridge it won't it? Then all the Telstra given settings such as the SSID wireless network name and security key remain the same and can be entered on the bridging device. Am I correct?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171303980691?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

trippfontaine
Level 1: Cadet

...having a similar issue.  just signed on for Speed boost with my cable modem. I'm now getting 42mb download - via ethernet cable - this seems pretty sluggish and not a lot different - even possibly slower than pre-boost... what's happening? Is 42 mb in Melbourne what I can expect with SB???

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi trippfontaine,

I'm pretty certain your plan just hasn't been set up properly. Come and speak with us via Live Chat and get them to check that you're on the 100Mbps speeds.

livechat.telstra.com

Grumpy3

when i first hooked up 1 yr ago, i was promised 25mbps, which i didnt recieve for weeks and a lot of hair pulling later, the matter was sorted, something to do with an old account overlapping never fully understood it but was happy to get my speed, till about two weeks ago when an outage was in the area and my connectivity either dropped out intermiitently or i had very low speeds sometimes lucky to push 3 mbps down the stupid thing was, my upload never dropped, i had gone thru the obvious many times like factory reset both nbn and the telstra gateway and finally after much haggling with Telstras filipino call centre staff, it was finally agreed a technician would be despatched. he bought in another modem done some testing and then said he was puzzled why my uploads were ok but not downloads so after much more testing equipment , the executive decision was that my powerline ethernet extenders were frazzled!!!! ok i thought! the one thing i never checked... red faced i said goodby to him and went about thinking how to rebuild my current network, in its present state i had NBN in the garage of my town house and connected to a powerline extender with the other extender inside my lounge room to my Gateway then an ethernet cable running both to my desktop pc and my Foxtel service with an iphone and tablet  and bluray player  on wi fi... then i had an idea!! i had only changed my lounge/dining room around about 4 weeks back and  remembered how i had the powerline extender plugged straight into a power point, now i had it plugged into a power board which was plugged into another power board behind my pc, i thought, could this be the problem? so i pulled it apart placed my gateway ontop of my tv unit which is roughly 3 ft away from my pc, and then i put the powerline adapter into the powerpoint behind my tv connected my foxtel  via ethernet to gateway and  connected  my bluray by wi fi and used an old tp link Wi Fi Dongle to connect my PC!!   and  wow i have speeds of up to 23.mbps now

.  im no technician but i know i proved telstra wrong  by doing this as my extenders wernt stuffed as stated by  him. so my advise is check your network setup thoroughly before a techy is called when your convinced its not your network then call them.

kerrodhall

Actually, @Grumpy3, you proved the Telstra tech right!

He told you the powerline adapters were "frazzled" and it turns out they were because you were trying to make them operate in conditions that they aren't made to work in.

Basically, every different join or point of connection, be it in the power network, copper ADSL/PSTN network, NBN Fibre, or indeed any type of electrical/data network, is like a roadblock for the signal travelling through, and in the case of your powerboards, those roadblocks slow you down quite a bit.

But your final advice is definitely spot-on, better to make sure its not a problem with your own set-up before being slugged with a fee for a Telstra techie to come out and tell you it has nothing to do with the line/service to your premise.

// Kerrod
ybnice
Level 4: Private Eye

OMG this thread is just one of many of the same issue,  Bottom line it is a CVC issue = Telstra lack of purchasing, hence causing conjestion, which in turn causes lame slow speeds even though it is Fibre - totally unacceptable and is a huge Australia wide problem.  All of us need to ring and just hound and hound Telstra about upgrading re purchasing of CVC.  I have had this issue on and off constantly since we went live NBN in our area last November 2015.  The only bonus is I have hardly paid a Bill since November due to credits they give me for their CVC issue, but this does not fix the problem.

“DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.” “MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.”

- Yoda -
unhappyclient1

Yep, Telstra Op told me "should get 80-90Mbps", getting 40 at best. Ethernet connection. Logged complaint last week, no response apart from "we'll get back to you soon".

Mmmm. mate down the road sign up for 25, got 15. Switched to 100, got 60. Makes no sense. They are selling something they are struggling to deliver.

Me thinks the TIO beckons.

snowbatplants

Well im annoyed! I just got to swap onto nbn and when i asked telstra today why my speed is exactly the same as on copper i get told that im on the lowest speed plan. i have the best nbn plan plus 3 mobiles on the best plans and been a valued customer for a year and i only just get told that! no mention at all when i was setting the nbn plan up. Bit of a con that i buy the plan and then get told it costs extra to get a better speed! Id say thats not legal telstra that i was not told about speed plans on setup
Pearltek

Regardless of what plan you go on the base speed is always 25 mbps aslong as you are with telstra other providers are 12 mbps and majority of them have a temporary speed of 100mbps for the first few months of contract to suck you in, speed boosts are not part of the contract and can be added and removed at any point in time. before you add a boost you might want to check the technology type you have, HFC, FTTB and FTTP a speed boost is fine but if you have FTTN you will most likely be wasting your money as you are still partially using the copper network and you have malcom turnbul to blame for that as he wanted to "save money". it will end up costing more as you can see over in the UK they are removing all the FTTN technology because people have been stealing the batteries from the nodes and is costing the country $100M a year to replace them constantly. eitherway it doesnt matter if you are on ADSL or NBN the plans are the same so dont complain as though you started paying more and didnt get anything out of it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now