CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Steam unmetered content server

Hello all,

For about a week now the Bigpond steam content server has been down (no it is not just me there are lots of reports on Whirlpool) and so far no one has heard a response from Telstra.

An nmap scan of the content server steam.content.bigpondgames.com (203.39.198.136) reveals that all ports are currently filtered and there are zero open, leading one to believe that this has been done intentionally.

If so, why hasn't there been an alert from Telstra notifying that something was planned or had unexpectedly happened to this server?  Unfortunately for people like me who live in areas that Telstra have no interest in expanding the ADSL infrastructure and are forced to use 4G mobile broadband, the unmetered server is the only way to download from steam without going over the ridiculously miniscule monthly data limits which can be used up within minutes.                             

I also encourage anyone else facing this same issue to make it known here too. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Steam unmetered content server

Yes, this is a problem. I haven't been able to get any answers out of support either, most of them have no idea what i'm talking about.

Highlighted

I am also having this problem. I am trying to use Steam Limiter to force Steam to use Telstra servers and have not been able to download anything for days. I contacted Telstra 24x7 on Facebook and this was all they wrote.

(Me) For the past couple of days I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to download a game on Steam using Steam Limiter to lock the downloads to Telstra servers. So far, I have not been able to download any data. Do you have any information regarding this issue?

(Telstra) I can pass on feedback to our technical team that you have been experiencing difficulty accessing our Steam Server. We cannot guarantee that when you are using steam content will come from our server though and this is working as intended. Unless you block off other content servers Steam will automatically source your content from an alternative ocation. Regrettably, we cannot promise all content will be available or at a certain speed on our server.

(Me) I am using a program that ensures I only get Steam data from Telstra servers. Can I expect a response from the tech team if they have any further advice for me?

(Telstra) Hopefully the issue will be resolved ASAP. We have reported this and I do hope that the server is back up and running at full steam soon. Regrettably, we cannot promise that this will be available at all times, system issues can arise, but that is one of the benefits of Steam as they use multiple content servers dotted around the globe even if one server is slow/offline you can still gain access. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

So basically they were not willing to tell me anything. After reading Whirlpool this seems like a fairly well documented problem that has been going on for quite a bit longer than the past week. Are Telstra reneging on their policy of providing unmetered Steam data or is there actually a technical issue?

Highlighted

According to another customer over on Whirlpool, GA is apparently aware of the problem and aim to have it fixed sometime in the next 24 hours. So some time on Tuesday 19/08.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello, 

I have notified the relevant department in regards to this issue, it is being looked into at the moment but we have no ETA on restoration of services.

I will try to keep this thread updated as more information becomes available.

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All, 

I have just received confirmation from the games team that the Steam issue is fixed.

- Ben D

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I can confirm that it is working again, thank you.

Highlighted
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Is this the same as the Steam download location being Australia - NSW (Telstra) in the steam settings or something different?

Is there a way to force steam to only grab downloads from the Telstra steam server and not others, even if the Telstra one is down? So therefoire no downloads until it is back up again?

I had a 1GB download last night from steam but it has been added to my usage and not as unmetered.  Can I get that 1GB back Telstra?

Cheers

GW

~~ If you don't ask ~~
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi GregW, 

I am not sure of a way to force Steam to only download updates from our Servers - This may be something that the community can assist with. 

As for your query as it is legitimate usage on your account we wouldn't be able to remove that for you on our end. 

-Patrice

Highlighted

So I have installed steam limiter and have it set to Telstra, but how can I be sure it is only downloading frm Telstra as unmetered without blowing our data?

Cheers

~~ If you don't ask ~~
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

To view your  unmetered usage, after logging into My Account you will need to perform the following steps to then select Account Services then My BigPond from the menu located at the top right of the page.

The usage meter initially seen in My Account shows metered usage only.

- Shelly

Highlighted

@Shelly_Telstra wrote:

The usage meter initially seen in My Account shows metered usage only.

- Shelly

Maybe that needs to be fixed so it shows all usage, unmetered and metered, I mean of what value is that usage meter if it does not show unmetered usage?

I do recall months ago a T-Rep saying that was a good idea and was to pass it on to whoever does that sort of thing, I guess it is still in the too hard basket?

Oh and how can we be assured that unmtered is in fact being recorded as unmetered.  I have argued that some data in the past should have been unmetered but it falls on deaf ears at Telstra.

Greg

~~ If you don't ask ~~
Highlighted

@GregW wrote:

So I have installed steam limiter and have it set to Telstra, but how can I be sure it is only downloading frm Telstra as unmetered without blowing our data?

Cheers

For anyone else wantng to get steam content unmetered the steam limiter has worked great, wish I found it months ago.

So far all content for games that we would normally not allow to be downloaded at home has now been able to be downloaded via steam after the steam limiter was installed, it has all been downloaded as unmetered, kids are thrilled Smiley Happy

GW

~~ If you don't ask ~~
Highlighted

Has this service now been cancelled by Telstra???

I can't seem to get any downloads occuring with steam-limiter.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi RynotheORSM,

When the GameArena service ended last year the unmetered Steam server ended to as it was provided as part of the same package from a Third Party content provider.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit