CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Muzza531
Level 2: Rookie

Struggling to find maximum line speeds

Answered
I have the Telstra Gateway Pro modem and I’ve been trying to figure out where the information providing my maximum line rates is located, via my routers webpage (192.168.15.1). After loging into the routers webpage, I click “ADVANCED” > Than I expand the “Administration” box > I than select “Router Status” (Shown after expanding the “Administration box) > I than select “Show Statistics” this is located in the box called “Internet Port”. These are the steps I followed to get the information provided below. (I’m fairly sure only the speed I’m getting is being displayed, however the max line rate is not being displayed.)

XDSL Statistics
Line DSL Line0
Status Up
Transceiver Version A2pvbH042o.d26m
Line Mode VDSL2 Annex B
Speed Upstream(bps) 20384000
Speed Downstream(bps) 35158000
Margin Upstream(dB) 66
Margin Downstream(dB) 55
Line Attenuation Upstream(dB) 0
Line Attenuation Downstream(dB) 241
Transmit Power Upstream(dBm) 94
Transmit Power Downstream(dBm) 124
FEC Errors(Upstream) 0
FEC Errors(Downstream) 521
HEC Errors(Upstream) 0
HEC Errors(Downstream) 0
CRC Errors(Upstream) 0
CRC Errors(Downstream) 0

There is also another box (next to the “Show Statistics” in the “Internet Port” section) called “Connection Status” if I go into that I’m provided with this;
Connection Status

IP Address 58.171.5.138
Subnet Mask 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway 58.171.0.1
DHCP Server 58.162.26.185
DNS Server 61.9.134.49
Lease Obtained 8 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes
Lease Expires 0 days, 4 hours, 0 minutes
DSL Speed Upstream 20384kbps
DSL Speed Downstream 35158kbps
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Struggling to find maximum line speeds

I'm not sure if that modem has that feature built in. You could call through to support to obtain the maximum line speeds.
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Accepted Solution

I'm not sure if that modem has that feature built in. You could call through to support to obtain the maximum line speeds.
For Official Support Chat Now, or try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra Platinum Consumer, Small Business, Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Muzza531

I asked if I could be told my max line rates through 24/7 Telstra chat but, apparently only NBN have access to this information so, I rang NBN and I was told that my max line rate is determined by the plan I pay for. Which I’m nearly certain is wrong.
Level 25: The Singularity

Yes, that is wrong. Your maximum line rate is determined by the capability of your connection between your modem and the node.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Muzza531

Do I have to contact NBN or Telstra to be provided with this information.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra support should have the information and you are supposed to contact your ISP not NBN.
Muzza531

Last time I talked with Telstra support asking for my max line rates, the person I was talking with said “Only the NBN have access to your max line rates and can provide you with your max line rates.” After talking with an NBN support member they said my max line rates are determined by the plan I pay for (Which is incorrect). This is why I tried to find my max line rates myself, since both Telstra and NBN aren’t being very helpful with providing me this information. Oh well, better talk to support again.

What the NBN person told you would be correct for a FTTP connection, but most other connections the maximum link speed is limited by both the plan but also physical limitations of the link.
When Telstra provide a DSL NBN connection they monitor the link to see what the actual maximum speed the link is capable of.

Seeing as yo are getting 35/20 I would assume your maximum link rate is 35 Megabits down and 20 Mbps up..In all the stats I have seen from modems that provide this information where the link speed is limited by the physical characteristics of the link the actual speed of link is the same as the maximum speed.
Muzza531

So basically, my line rate is decided by the plan I pay for (50 Dow/ 20 up) and the limitations of my line? Meaning I can’t find out my exact line speeds because, it changes for me when I’m on a different speed plan? (Excluding FTTP connections)

If you are on FTTP, then your maximum line rate is going to be greater than 100/40.

Your maximum line rate on FTTN (VDSL) has nothing to do with your plan and is determined by the capability of the connection between your modem and the node.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Muzza531

Ok, so the NBN person has provided me with information for a FTTP connection but I’m on FTTN. That doesn’t really help, I’ll just ask Telstra support. Just to confirm, since I’m on FTTN I can’t surpass the max capabilities of my line rates by buying a plan offering higher than my max line rates can provide?

That's correct. You are limited by the maximum line rate. If your line can only support 35/20, then upgrading to a 100/40 plan will still only get you 35/20.
Muzza531

Thanks for the help and thanks to everyone else that helped!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit