Highlighted
Shetty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Sudden drop in NBN's usual speed

Answered

Hi,can someone more knowledgeable than myself take a look at the attached screenshots of my connection please?Come home from work today & instead of the usual 23/4.6 speeds,the connection is reduced to this.Modem has been reset & nothing in the house altered from any other day.

Thanks in advance.Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shetty
Accepted Solution

Re: Sudden drop in NBN's usual speed

As promised,I am reporting back.Thankyou to everyone here & thanks to Telstra for getting my connection back up to speed.I can now gladly say it is solved.Hopefully for the long term not short.

Screenshot (19).png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

According to those figures you should get still get 23.6/4.6.

There is either a network fault causing congestion or if connect by WI-Fi there could be interference on the Wi-Fi channel.

Have you checked if there are any outages in your area?

https://outages.telstra.com/#

Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

To rule out congestion you would be getting those speeds all the time. Going by the time you posted this it looks to me to be during the congestion period of 7pm to 11pm.

You will need to check speeds during all other times to confirm.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Shetty

Thanks for the reply cf4 & as you say I should get those speeds.Usually,any time of the day I do.
According to the outages site,there are none known in my area.
Today,the speed here is 2.5/4.6,so something is seriously wrong somewhere.

Shetty

Thanks for your reply Ozmoz but congestion barely ever affects us being where the node is.Have in the past checked speeds at most times of the day & get a reasonably consistent speed regardless.Todays speed is down to 2.5/4.6.So something is seriously wrong somewhere.

Shetty

Screenshot (3).pngLatest speed test result.Btw,not wifi connection.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Shetty,

Distance from the node would not dictate if you would be affected by congestion. As the line stats look good I would suggest following up with the NBN technical support team on 1800834273 and they will be able to look further into the network connection to find out about the speed differences. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shetty

Thanks very much Alistair for the reply & advice.The last time we suffered such dismal speed was when NBN Co. did maintenance.At this time I am unaware of any happening so will give the number a call.

Shetty

After a quick call to the phone number.atm it seems like my speed is back to normal.Btw,they did a test from their end & other than slow speed found nothing wrong.For now solved but I will see when the day heats up again.Latest speed test result showing normal speed:Screenshot (5).png

Shetty

Screenshot (6).pngHere we go again.The day gets hotter,the speed gets slower.Or that's how it seems at the moment.Come on Telstra,seriously,how do these pics justify the amount of money being paid per month?Screenshot (7).png

Shetty

Sorry forum for the double post but the connection timed out.Didn't even tell me the 1st had been posted.

Shetty

Todays:At least for a short while.Screenshot (9).pngScreenshot (8).png

Shetty

As seen,2hrs later when the day gets a bit warmer:Screenshot (10).png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Do you connect to the modem via WiFi or Ethernet? If you have the option of both, is there a speed difference between the 2 connections?

If you are keeping a record of the changes in speeds then tech support should be able to escalate further especially if the tests are through Ethernet ruling out any WiFi problems. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Shetty

I only connect my PC using Ethernet but my wifes laptop or other devices connect via WiFi.As far as noticed there is no difference between the 2 connections.

Yes.I am keeping a record of the speeds which also covers the months of having a normal connection,speed wise.

Here we go again with the phone calls to Tech Support.

Thanks for your reply Alistair & I will report back regarding progress.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming that, Shetty. Can you also confirm that when you perform the speed tests, that you have disabled Wi-Fi on the modem so that only your computer is connected via Ethernet cable when performing the speed test?  

Shetty

Wireless disconnected at the Gateway didn't improve the speed at all.Could be coincidence but the speed actually decreased.Only my computer was connected via ethernet.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Did you also try disconnecting your computer and performing the speed test with a device connected via Wi-Fi for comparison? 

Shetty

No,I haven't tried that method yet but will do so now.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the speed improves, then this could indicate that there is something on your computer that is running in the background and hogging the bandwidth, but if there is no change, please contact tech Support so that they can perform further testing with you

Shetty

Absolutely no change whatsoever via wireless speed test from my wifes laptop & mine totally disconnected.

Thanks for your help.Smiley Happy

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update. Let us know how you go after reporting this to Tech Support 

Shetty

Spoke to Tech Support this afternoon & it turns out we have become part of a congested node at the exchange.No ETA for a fix but NBN are supposedly aware of it.Tech support said once NBN are aware of such things,it usually doesn't take long.Here's to hoping.

Support Team
Support Team

Appreciate you letting us know, Shetty. Glad to see we have some movement on it. Thank you for your patience - Matthew.

Shetty

No problems Matthew & yes,glad we do have some movement.Patience is something quite often needed in this sort of situation.

I will leave the thread open(without posting)until I have a resolution,then report back as solved.

Thankyou to everyone that has responded with help in this matter.Greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Shetty
Accepted Solution

As promised,I am reporting back.Thankyou to everyone here & thanks to Telstra for getting my connection back up to speed.I can now gladly say it is solved.Hopefully for the long term not short.

Screenshot (19).png

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more