DaisyCutter
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sudden drop in NBN's usual speed

Answered

We've been on FTTN since July on a Tier 25 plan. We are about 300m from the node & pillar and at the end of a cable said by a Telstra tech some years back to not be in particularly good condition, hence signing up for a Tier 25 plan.

Since then our downlink stats have been typically max 28Mbps and line speed 26Mbps per the first pix below.

Today the speeds have dropped to max 7.56Mbps and line speed 5.71Mbps (second pix). All lights on the Smart Modem are green.

I've powered down the modem for 10 minutes and the speed is still slow (note these are the line speeds and the modem is not using the 4G backup). 

Yesterday a tech (not sure if NBN or Telstra) was working in a pit at the front of the house next door, through which the Telstra cable runs to another pit on our nature strip. I believe he was working on a connection issue to that house. Therefore I'm thinking that something he has done has affected our service.

I've worked through Telstra's online diagnostic and it gave me a reference number of 27-12165. What is the best number to call to report this fault - Telstra on 13 39 33 - is that technical help? Hopefully not in the Philippines, whose accent I have great difficulty understanding -

NBN-1.jpgNBN-2.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Sudden drop in NBN's usual speed

Thanks for that feedback, Daisy. Appreciate your patience in this all. Please let us know if anything else comes up. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

There has been 8 DB increase in download attenuation which would explain the drop in speed. I would say the NBN Co technician has accidentally disturb your connection and put a fault on your connection. There should be no excuse for Telstra not arranging for NBN Co to send a technician to fix the fault as your speeds are well below NBN Co.s minimum. Best number to call for Telstra NBN support is 1800 834 273
Highlighted
DaisyCutter

Many thanks cf4 - I'll call first thing tomorrow (Monday) morning and report back.

DaisyCutter

A follow-up.

Called the 1800 number first thing Monday morning, spoke to a "Phoebe" in the Philippines who tested the line and confirmed the fault, and said a tech would attend between 8am and midday today (Wednesday). Ticket  INC03743526

Took time off Weds. and when no-one had arrived by 2:45pm called the 1800 number and again had to explain the whole situation including another line test. Was then told no appointment had been booked for today, only "reserved". Dunno what that was supposed to mean.

Expressed my dissatisfaction and another appointment has been made for this Friday 2 November sometime between 1pm & 5pm. Curiously I was told to call the 1800 number again tomorrow to find out if the "booking" is still on ......

Gee, thanks Telstra - it's now a week since our service has been crippled.

Was asked to take part in a survey at the end of the call, but I decided to hang up as I wasn't really in the right frame of mind Smiley Sad

Level 25: The Singularity

It will be an NBN Technician that comes and the "reserved" probably means it was requested but NBN Co never sent back a confirmation.

Even if they do turn up, you may not see them. The usual process (with the good techs is that they check the connection at the Node first, then at the entry point to your house. If they find a problem at the entry point to your house, they then check the joints between you and the node and fix any issues they find. The good ones will then knock on your door or ring you and either get you to check the connection yourself or come in and check.

Unfortunately, the good ones are few and far between.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DaisyCutter

Given they caused the problem by whatever they did in the pit next door, sadly I'm not confident of a quick rectification of this fault.

We will see -

DaisyCutter

Well I'm not surprised.

Took time off again today and NBN techs no show, nor any contact from them or Telstra and speeds unchanged.

Off to file a complaint, which will probably be dealt with in the Philippines ....

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Id reconmend calling the NBN team first on 1800 834 273 to see if the NBN tech did inspect the line (even if they didnt come to your premise) or if there is more to the story before raising a complaint.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

DaisyCutter

Each time I've spoken to the Philippines on that number its been a time wasting struggle. I've had to explain the whole situation again and what hasn't happened even when I've quoted the ticket number. All they were able to say is that a ticket has gone to the NBN and appointment(s) booked.

I was working out the front all afternoon so I would have been able to see any NBN techs at either my neighbour's pit or mine.

In any case, I don't think it is too much to ask for "someone" to call me and tell me what is happening ...

My impression is the Philippines work off a script, and can't do any more nor have the authority to escalate. Also no-one from Telstra has bought into this thread to "reach out" as some like to  say, but I have read on other threads:

" if you are unable to get the issue resolved satisfactorily via the standard support teams the next step would be to lodge a complaint and then they will be able to work with you on the issue"

To be honest, there won't be anything that the staff who monitor this forum can do.

It just sounds like NBN Co is failing to turn up or provide feedback, which unfortunately is not unheard of.

The current system that they use is pretty useless and there is no automatic reporting back up the chain to the customer unless you get a proactive NBN tech assigned to your case.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi DaisyCutter. 

I'm sorry to hear that this has been ongoing and that the nbn technicians have failed to attend your appointments. Certainly not a great experience. 

Jupiter, cf4 and 343GuiltySpark have all provided most of the information I would normally advise in these situations. I would give the nbn team another go on 1800 834 273 as has been mentioned. 

If you are still unable to get this resolved you can go down the road of raising a complaint. If you would like to raise a complaint, you can do so here http://tel.st/m75hr.

Once you have raised a complaint through the online form, you will get a complaint case reference number beginning with 'SR 1-'. We will then assign you a complaint case manager who will be in contact with you within 2-5 business days.

They will work with you one on one until this problem is resolved.

When you submit the form, you will get a reference number, make sure you take a note of this number so that we can follow up on your behalf if required.

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

DaisyCutter

That is my impression.

Clearly Telstra as RSP is caught between the customer and NBN Co., who are a law unto themselves.

However someone must be able to thump the table, so off to Complaints it is Smiley Happy
DaisyCutter

Thanks Tom - much appreciated.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks DaisyCutter. 

Please update us on the outcome so we can be sure this does get resolved for you. 

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

DaisyCutter

Complaint lodged Saturday morning SR 1-1753180514924.

Wait and see I guess.

Speeds are even slower here now - may have to resort to jam tins and string ... great for a Tier 25 plan $69/month -

NBN_5NOV18.jpg

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @DaisyCutter,

Thanks for the information. I've passed this onto our tech team who work between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and they will follow this up with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. 

- Tim  

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @DaisyCutter

It looks like they faults team have relogged the fault to NBN but this is still pending. Once NBN have investigated again then the faults team should followup with you. Either way the complaints team will be getting back to you soon with the SR logged. 

- AlistairQWA

DaisyCutter

Many thanks Tim and Alistair

It is great to get feedback on this matter, none of which I've had from anyone else since reporting the problem Monday last week.

DaisyCutter

I don't know the significance, but I've now received 3 x SMS from +61 427 446 039 (two today) stating:

Hi, you recently spoke with us about your service. Is the issue now resolved? Please reply YES, if not reply NO

I've replied NO to all and with one added the SR number, and our speeds are still 5/1Mbps.

No calls or sighting in the street of NBN techs.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey DaisyCutter,

Thanks for the extra info, I've emailed your case manager with these details asking that they look over the case & get back to you. If you haven't heard in 24 hours let me know & I'll get onto them again.

I do hope it's resolved soon.

Angela 

DaisyCutter

A follow up.

An NBN tech. attended on Saturday, tested the line at the first (and sole) termination point in the house and confirmed the slow speed. He then conducted tests elsewhere along the line back from the node, and identified a problem in the pit on our nature strip. The main cable was lying in the bottom of the pit with the wires exposed, and the protective cover and clamp lying nearby. These had clearly been removed at some stage in the past and not refitted. The first pix attached shows the state of the cable when he had angled it out of the pit to work on. One of the crimped connectors joining a wire from our house to this cable basically fell off when checked. He applied a new connector, redressed the rest of the wires and refitted the cable cover and clamp, and positioned the cable in the pit so it rested over a conduit instead of lying in the bottom of the pit (second pix).

I suspect recent NBN work involving the pit had disturbed the connections and wires, and was probably the cause of the sudden loss in speed.

Retesting the line at the first termination point indicated our speeds had returned to what they were previously i.e. 25/26Mbps on our Tier 25 plan.

Interestingly he said we were connected to a node over 900m away, and not a node in a side street some 300m away. This would explain why a particular web site says the NBN reports our achievable speed to only be 34Mbps. For that reason I’d only signed up for a Tier 25 plan.

The fault appears to be fixed, but I’ll let things run for a week or so to be sure.

Tcable.jpg

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey DaisyCutter,

Thanks for reaching back and letting me know how your technical visit went, it's wonderful to hear you are now getting 25/26Mbps again. Please keep us posted over the next week and let us know if you need any further assistance.

The Social Media Team is available 24/7.

-Zoe

DaisyCutter

The speeds have been consistent over the past week so as the fault seems to have been fixed I'm happy for it to be closed off. Please pass on.

FWIW the only contact from the "case manager" was an introductory email which I replied to. I sent a follow-up email a couple of days after the fix reporting what had occurred but didn't get a response, so I don't know what if anything he did Smiley Indifferent

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Thanks for that feedback, Daisy. Appreciate your patience in this all. Please let us know if anything else comes up. - Matthew.

Kyza79
Level 2: Rookie

Lucky it got fixed
Hi

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now