Danly
Level 11: Detective

Super Fast NBN is SUPER SLOW During Peak Times

I am on the super fast speedboost NBN.

As i post this at 6.30 am Sunday Morning my speeds currently are - 

83.5 Mbps (testmy.net) - http://testmy.net/results

94.53 Mbps (speedof.me lite) - http://speedof.me/m/?starttest=1

83 Mbps (fast.com)  - https://fast.com

"Oh wow, what super fast speeds you have there", you might say.

Well come late afternoon these speeds become ridiculously slow, over 90% slower in most instances.

The above mentioned speedtests can hover anywhere from 3Mbps - 10Mbps (if i am lucky)

I can't even stream most of my Foxtel Play programs on my Telstra TV without it buffering and pixelating frequently.

Overall i would rate my service i am receiving from Telstra a 3/10.

I cannot continue paying one single cent on this service until my speed issues are fixed.

I am not asking for much. Foxtel recommends minimum speeds of 7Mbps to watch their HD content on Foxtel Play.

My current speeds aren't even up to the task of doing this each night.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
80 REPLIES 80
Danly

Re: Super Fast NBN is SUPER SLOW During Peak Times

For the last 4 years (up until 4 weeks ago) i was on an adsl2+ plan streaming foxtel on tbox and experienced no buffering/pixelation issues. I could watch my Rugby League games live with smooth glitch free continuous playback.

Fast forward to now, i am on this so called 'super fast' NBN with a brand new modem, brand new Telstra TV and i cant even watch my games live anymore without it being plagued by frequent buffering and overly pixelated, glitch riddled viewing quality.

And with half of the Foxtel Play content being in HD, the same can be said for most of the other channels too.

So basically i am getting ridiculously high speeds during the hours that i don't even use the service , and ridiculously slow speeds when it really counts.

How could anyone in their right mind continue to support and pay for such a lousy service?

Danly

And another thing -

The "Ookla Speedtest' app that a Telstra Technical Support worker recommended for me to download and use to check and monitor my download speeds cannot be trusted.

It took me a while to work this one out, but its results are false and extremely inaccurate.

Whenever my Foxtel Play via Telstra TV was buffering and i performed a test it would display extremely over exaggerated speeds around the 70-90Mbps mark, leading me to believe that it wasn't a speed issue but instead a Foxtel Play issue.

But after closely monitoring my download speeds through the 3 above mentioned websites in my original post i have most certainly come to the conclusion that they are indeed accurate and the Ookla Speedtest is a overly misleading product.

Instead of testing your actual download speed the Ookla Speedtest App will tell you what your maximum speed would be on a perfect day if you were the only person on the planet using the internet at that time.

Danly

I will be using this thread to keep record of my download speeds over the coming days....

So it is almost 6 hours from my original post and we can already see a significant drop in speeds at 12:20 pm Sunday arvo.

32.5Mbps - (testmy.net)

29.1Mbps - (speedofme.lite)

14Mbps - (fast.com)

Danly

Another thing to note : These speed tests don't fluctuate earlier on in the day. They remain at a pretty rock solid speed around the 80+Mbps mark (I perform 3 tests back to back for each of these tests to monitor any fluctuations).

However, as the day progresses and the nbn has a higher activity in my area, each of these above mentioned speedtests will fluctuate wildly eg. Results of 20Mbps for one test, and then seconds later 40-50 Mbps.

And this only becomes worse from around 3-4pm onwards. eg. Could hage a result of 25Mbps and then seconds later 6Mbps.

(Also, the speeds i publish here are the highest out of 3 back to back tests i perform on each respective above mentioned website) 

Danly

Getting slower. So predictable...

18.1 Mbps (testmy.net)

20.25 Mbps (speedof.me lite)

8.2 Mbps (fast.com)

Danly

Here we go, Foxtel Play HD is already pixelating and buffering at 4.30 pm, Sunday arvo.

8.7 Mbps (testmy.net)

6.21 Mbps (speedof.me lite)

4.9 Mbps (fast.com)

Danly

Telstra obviously needs to spend some money down my way and fix this congestion before their loyal customers change teams.

I have only been on the NBN for just over a month and i am almost done.

Danly

At least my adsl was a steady 9Mbps. None of this 90Mbps to start the day and 5Mbps when i am actually meant to be enjoying what i am paying for!

Danly

Once again my speeds are high to start off the day.

All 3 of these speed tests have my speeds between 82Mbps - 88Mbps.

It is obviously severe congestion i am experiencing during peak hours.

When i ring technical support i won't be playing games when it comes to troubleshooting these issues. ie. Modem reset/restart etc.

NoDowt
Level 2: Rookie

What area are you in?

In the process of switching to Telstra due to Optus NBN congestion (which has since been fixed after signing up for the switch); so fingers crossed my area (St Clair NSW) will be ok...
Danly

I am on the Central Coast, NSW.

I know other people with Telstra on the NBN in my area who are also dealing with congestion issues identical to myself.

smoothp20
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Keep up the fight Danly. My NBN speed drops by 90% in peak times so I feel your pain.
smoothp20

Yes, I too see the wild fluctuations. The speed drop is purely the NBN throttling the service because Telstra hasn't bought enough capacity (CVC's I think they are called)
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We continually monitor and increase the capacity in the CVC when we notice the congestion.  I did note that quite a few CVCs had their capacity increased on the 10/03/2017. Have you noticed any improvement over the last few days?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Danly

No improvements here i am afraid.

The Entrance, NSW, 2261.

Speeds will still drop from around 85Mbps (current speed right now at 12:15pm Wednesday arvo) all the way down to as far as 3-12 Mbps from 4pm onwards (even earlier on Sat/Sun).

HD Content on Foxtel Play via Telstra TV (Connected via ethernet with wifi disabled and no other connected devices) will encounter Pixelation/Buffering issues, particularly the NRL channel during peak hours.

Can you please find out when my area will have it's capacity increased?

I am on the superfast speedboost and realistically i am not getting the service that i signed up for. I do not expect blistering speeds 24/7, just to be able to stream my footy without all this buffering and degredation in quality. I would expect to be able to stream HD content on my Telstra TV through Foxtel Play as well as having Foxtel Go running simultaneously through my PC without encountering any speed related  issues on my current plan.

NoDowt

I'm located St Clair (2759); fingers crossed CVC allocation is good here...
Danly

Already dropping below 7Mbps, 4:40pm Wednesday arvo...

smoothp20

Yep.  2.8Mbits for me here this afternoon.

Danly

Technical Support 

"We continually monitor and increase the capacity in the CVC when we notice the congestion.  I did note that quite a few CVCs had their capacity increased on the 10/03/2017. Have you noticed any improvement over the last few days?"

- Shelly

Can you please increase the capacity in the CVC to fix the congestion in the Entrance, NSW, 2261?

smoothp20

Thanks Shelly,

The same goes for Sunbury 3429.  Thanks.

smoothp20

Shelly,

In a perfect scenario, when Telstra resolves congestion by increasing the CVC, what does it consider to be a reasonable speed expectation in the evenings? (assuming the speed drop is caused by the NBN throttling in lieu of more CVC)??

Danly

Another frustrating night of my NRL buffering and pixelating FREQUENTLY.

Definitely no improvement.

If anything, this is the worst it has been so far!

5.6 Mbps and they call this superfast speedboost?

You guys obviously are NOT monitoring the congestion issues in my area - The Entrance, NSW, 2261.

smoothp20

1.78Mbits tonight here at 8:45.

I want my ADSL2 back.

It is NOT comforting to know that many others are having the same issues.

bigncheesy

Ashburton Victoria 3147
3 MBits/sec PEAK time on NBN cable after steady 36Mbit pre NBN connection.
Don't punt $$ on the NBN camel for streaming speeds

Good on you Danly for blowing the whistle

Danly is afar from alone
erotomania44
Level 3: Gumshoe

Same here, Beaumont Hills 2155. Morning speeds are awesome (80~/30~).

Evening speeds (5pm-11pm) are horrible (5~/30~). Already gone through 2 support agents (obviously outsourced overseas) who keep shoving down my throat that its a coexistence issue. Not having that BS - i know what coexistence is and it's not meant to mask a congestion problem.

We need to keep this going guys.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, 

I am sorry to see there are several customers with ongoing NBN issues as this is really disappointing, especially when paying for a Super Fast speed boost. Have you spoken with our NBN team directly on 1800 834 273 to discuss this with our NBN team?

-Georgie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Danly

No, i have not called the NBN team as of yet, but obviously i will have to sometime in the coming days.

There has been some reports from other Telstra customers on this website and several others, that taking this avenue can indeed be frustrating when you ring support to report obvious congestion issues, and they get you to perform a factory reset on your modem, or saying that your modem is faulty etc and even sending you a replacement modem. Anything but acknowledging that there is indeed a congestion issue in your area.

Maybe my experience with the support team won't be as bad, but i am not sure if i will be able to contain myself if my call to them goes down that path.

In my view it should be as simple as - 'Telling them that my download speeds drop from 85Mbps during the day to between 3-12Mbps from 4pm onwards, and even earlier on the weekends.'

Their response to this should be - 'They acknowledge that i am obviously suffering significant drops in speed due to congestion in my area, and they will lodge a complaint on my behalf, whilst also giving me a timeframe for when this congestion will be rectified'.

If they even attempt to try and troubleshoot anything on my end, when it obviously has absolutely nothing to do with anything on my end' i will have to terminate the call and keep ringing back until someone acknowledges the blatantly obvious congestion issue i am being subject to.

Danly

Anyway, once again as per usual, my download speeds are blisteringly fast - 84Mbps at 10:50am Friday morning, when i never ever need to utilize these speeds...

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Danly,

These are valid points and I can certainly understand what you are saying. 

It may be a case of not having many reports for congestion in that area, or given that as the NBN is managed by the Australian Government's NBN Co and not Telstra, it may not be diagnosed the same way as for example an ADSL congestion issue in which the infrastructure is managed directly by Telstra. 

In regards to the speeds, NBN Co consider anything above 25Mbps as "Super Fast Broadband" so yes, your speeds would definitely be considered more than Super Fast at off peak times, however unfortunately is not consistent among other times of the day and I understand that this is the significant issue you and many others are encountering. 

If you would like to, you may wish to consider lodging a formal complaint (Lodging a complaint with Telstra) so this can be looked into further if you are unable to get further assistance via our NBN team. 

Let us know how you go.

-Georgie

Danly

Thankyou Georgie for your prompt responses, and assisting me in attempting to steer me in the right direction. 

erotomania44

Yes I have already gone through 2 tech support agents all point me to the issue that my area is under "coexistence" mode - which is obviously an excuse for a capacity problem..

Danly

Well Telstra were the ones who encouraged me to move over to the NBN over the phone. They told me that it would be more compatible with the Telstra TV and have much higher speeds for streamng the live NRL games (Compared to my Adsl).

So ultimately they lied and fed me false information. I could have stayed on my Adsl for another 6 months apparently and had speeds fast enough to be compatible with Foxtel Play on Telstra TV. 

My speeds last night were ridiculously slow. I even set the viewing quality to 'low' data usage on Foxtel Play, but my speeds were dropping below 3Mbps on several occasions which basically ruined an entire 40mins of the particular game i was watching.

Instead of being able to sit back and enjoy what I'm paying for each night, my whole experience now is just frustrating and stressful, as i have now lost faith in this product. 

Telstra might just be responsible for me giving up on all of this technology and deciding to go technology free from here on in.

I just can't see the logic in paying all this money for a product that underperforms so overwhelmingly and contributes so highly to my stress levels.

I will be ringing the NBN technical support team on Monday. A miracle will most likely need to occur during that phone call for me to remain a Telstra customer from that day onwards.

brl121
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Hi, Shelly
See my post of a few minutes ago: I didn't see yours before I posted. Yes, I have seen significant improvement in 9QBN09, starting last weekend. I deduced that CVCs must have been added. Congestion has gone from 75% to negligible. Unfortunately, Telstra-Netflix congestion is still at 90-99.5%!! You'll have to work on that one.
Cheers
zoszos

I have congestion nightly which started 10 days after getting the NBN at the start of March 2017.

I am in Mornington VIC and if Telstra are really monitoring the congestion then I will wait a few days before ringing to get it fixed.

brl121

Danly,

I feel for you, but you are under a few misconceptions. I have been connected to Telstra NBN and have experienced nightly congestion of up to 75%. This seems to now have been fixed, with no congestion for the past week. Above, you have requested Telstra to add more CVCs to your POI and that is the correct procedure. You will just have to wait for a while for them to do it.

Regarding your speedtests, Ookla is absolutely fine: it measures actual speeds to your nearest uncongested ISP server.

Fast.com does not do that: it measures real speeds to Netflix servers, which are entirely different. My speedtest.net (Ookla) speeds are 94 Mbps (now day and night), BUT my Fast.com speeds drop to anywhere between 0.5-10 Mbps for long periods from 4-12pm.

This is just the behaviour you are reporting. The main point here is that streaming servers and the last links to them are far more congested than the broader network. It depends also on the route that gets assigned to you.

I t's pot luck. I can stream 4K video from Youtube at peak periods with no problems at all, but struggle to get 480p on Netflix. I'm trying to follow this up elsewhere.

Cheers.

erotomania44

This evening was horrible - possible the worst so far.

Got all the way down to sub 1Mbps speeds tonight. Appalling.

I've since logged a complaint thru Telstra employee channels (my company is a Telstra-owned subsidiary) and will let everyone know how that goes.

brl121

I bet these sub-Mbps speeds were on Fast.com?

zoszos

@brl121 wrote:

I bet these sub-Mbps speeds were on Fast.com?

Why are you thinking these slow speeds are from Fast.com?

The op has said where he tests his speeds and also mentions Netflix as a separate issue.

Congestion on the NBN is real and I'm just lucky in my case that it goes from 68 to 30 so still usable but it may change as more of Mornington is ready for service on the NBN.

Edit I just tried fast.com and got 6.4 so yes Netfix has issues but for example my Foxtel go is working fine.

So two issues the NBN congestion and slow Netflix speeds.

Danly

@brl121

The issue is that all of these speedtest websites - fast.com, testmy.net, speedof.me Lite, ozspeedtest.com are displaying blistering speeds 80Mbps+ up until 4pm (earlier on weekends) and then anything between 3-12Mbps during peak hours.

So there is no coincdence here. Major congestion in my area that is so bad that i have major issues streaming Foxtel Play channels through my Telstra TV connected via ethernet with no other connected devices.

Foxtel Play HD requires 7Mbps to run smoothly. It does not run smoothly during peak hours. The above mentioned speedtest websites all indicate a drop in speeds below 7Mbps when my Foxtel Play is buffering and pixelating. 

So obviously my speeds are dropping below 7Mbps, this is no coincidence.

Ookla speedtest app will try and pretend my speeds are all fine and dandy when this is occuring and tell me my speeds are a blistering 70Mbps when they are obviously not.

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

Hi @Danly

You need to find out when CVC will be upgraded in your area.

I am not an expert in this area, however I believe you would need to find your POI (Point of Interconnect). From memory there are 126 POI for NBN in Australia. you should belong to one of those POI.

You can find out as much information as possible before ringing Telstra, so when you ring them up you just need to ask one question, i.e.:

I would like to know whether there  is a CVC upgrade for my POI zzz? If yes, when the upgrade is expected to finish.

From my experience you will get better result if you know more about the subject than the HelpDesk person you are talking to.

Here is the POI finder to get you started:
https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/poi/list

Danly

@W201

Thank you very much for this.

My POI would have to be Berkely Vale -  https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/poi/2BLV

It is by far the closest to my location.

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

@Danly

Now that you have some ideas, you can ring them up and get on the front foot and ask questions, e.g.
1. from my research my POI is 2BLV. Is this correct?

2. If not 2BLV, what is my POI?

3. Is CVC upgrade based on POI?
4. If yes,  Is there a CVC upgrade for 2BLV? If yes, when?

Back in 2012, I researched my ADSL2+ connection. When I rang them up it took a while for me to convince them and to explain to them about my research.
When they finally agreed with my results, they made changes based on my research and my ADSL2+ went from 4 Mbps to 15Mbps.

brl121

@Danly wrote:

@brl121

The issue is that all of these speedtest websites - fast.com, testmy.net, speedof.me Lite, ozspeedtest.com are displaying blistering speeds 80Mbps+ up until 4pm (earlier on weekends) and then anything between 3-12Mbps during peak hours.

So there is no coincdence here. Major congestion in my area that is so bad that i have major issues streaming Foxtel Play channels through my Telstra TV connected via ethernet with no other connected devices.

Foxtel Play HD requires 7Mbps to run smoothly. It does not run smoothly during peak hours. The above mentioned speedtest websites all indicate a drop in speeds below 7Mbps when my Foxtel Play is buffering and pixelating. 

So obviously my speeds are dropping below 7Mbps, this is no coincidence.

Ookla speedtest app will try and pretend my speeds are all fine and dandy when this is occuring and tell me my speeds are a blistering 70Mbps when they are obviously not.

Danly,

I think the issue is what "your speeds" means. I believe OOKLA tries to measure your feasible connection speed to uncongested servers, which is why all the ISPs use it. Your 70Mbps at peak indicates some congestion on your connection, but not bad.

On the other hand, the actual download speeds to other servers measure real-time performance to congested servers: the apparent congestion then includes both your connection and the server congestion due to the mass of users.

The Telstra-Netflix issue is well-known for example. Foxtel Go/Play has a lot of people complaining recently of bad streaming performance, regardless of how good their connections are. I have seen it myself on popular channels (sport) when I have 80 Mbps streaming to other services. This is Foxtel congestion, not line congestion, for the most part.

Please humour me. Can you try to stream some YouTube 4K on your laptop? I can do this with 80Mbps throughput at the same time as "streaming" Netflix with a pathetic 0.5Mbps throughput! So this is not line congestion.

You can Google some Youtube 4K content and select the resolution using the "wheel" tool at the bottom right. I wouldn't be surprised if you can stream in 4K. You can look at the streaming paramters by right-clicking (two-fingers on Mac) and selecting "Stats for Nerds". One of the lower graphs shows the throughput (i.e., the feasible download rate > actual streaming rate and equivalent to Fast.com on Netflix).

I look forward to hearing your results. If this fails for you, then you may well have line congestion!

Cheers

Danly

@brl121

Thanks for letting me know this.

I will report back with my findings when i get some spare time.

Danly

Ok, so i am playing 'The Overview Effect' 4K right now on Youtube through my PC.

I have also got Foxtel Play NRL running on My Telstra TV at the same time.

The 4K video is struggling to play smoothly as i speak.

Lots of dropped frames (497) in the first 5 minutes.

'Connection speed' is fluctuating between 22,000 Kbps all the way down to 6,000 Kbps at times causing it to buffer.

I played the same video all the way through prior to this. It was working flawlessly up until around the 3/4 mark and then 'Connection Speed' took a turn for the worse. It was hovering around between 15,000Kbps - 25,000Kbps for the first 3/4, but for the final 5 minutes speeds hovered between 8,000Kbps - 13,000Kbps connection speed causing it to buffer and drop a lot of frames.

It has improved again now, maintaining a healthy buffer of 13s and connection speed between 15,000Kbps and 20,000Kbps -although dropping back down below 11,000Kbps and buffering/dropping frames again as i type this.

All the while throughout all of these observations, Foxtel Play NRL has been running on my Telstra TV.

I will also attempt to observe the connection speeds during normal non-peak hours during the day.

And also observe 4K video performance on Youtube app through Telstra TV which is connected via ethernet.

On a side note. I have found a temporary fix for my Foxtel Play/Telstra TV buffering/pixelation issues for the NRL Fox League HD channel.

I have found that if i rewind it back approx 3mins per viewing hour it will work flawlessly with no buffering/pixelation issues. Nice crisp picture and smooth viewing.

So i am gathering that this would point towards it being a Foxtel Play issue and not my download speeds. 

Danly

So watching the same video mentioned above through Youtube on Telstra TV connected via ethernet with no other connected devices, but i can only view it in HD due to my TV.

Connection speed is hovering steady around the 31,000Kbps mark 'stats for nerds', buffer health between 8-14s.

So would this connection speed be the most accurate indicator of my download speeds? 

And if so, i guess that 31Mbps would be considered ok at 9pm on a Sunday Night.

Here are my Gateway stats -

Actual Rate [Kbps]

Maximum Rate [Kbps]

Noise Margin [dB]

Attenuation [dB

]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream

brl121

Danly,

Thanks for the info. Yes, the 31Mbps is a true indication of your download capability to Youtube, which is a lower limit to your line speed. It would be interesting to do Fast.com and OOkla tests immediately following your 4K streaming. The Ookla should be > 31Mbps, but Fast.com is likely to be much less. If your Ookla is around the same (31Mbps), the difference between this and your offpeak Ookla gives the true amount of general network congestion on your line. This can be used as ammunition in your request to Telstra for additional CVCs. If the OOkla result is significantly more than 31Mbps, then this difference is related to Youtube server congestion. I don't get much of the latter, but 90-99.5% congestion on Netflix!

Let me know your continuing results.

Cheers

Highlighted
Danly

Cont. from last post... Ok here we go.

I just noticed some wild fluctuations in connection speed through the Youtube app on Telstra TV as mentioned in the previous post.

It was steady aroud the 31-32Mbps mark for a while but the speeds dropped quite significantly for an extended period 3Mbps-12 Mbps for a couple of minutes.

I initially closed the app and started watching the Crime Investigation Channel on Foxtel Play when it started buffering for around 20 seconds. This channel is just SD, and it is the first time it has buffered in my countless hours of viewing it over the last several weeks. So i immediately started playing the vid through the Youtube app on Telstra TV and noticed the very low connection speeds for a couple of minutes.

The connection speed seems to be steady again now in the low to mid 30Mbps range.

brl121

Danly,

It would be interesting to see if the wild fluctuations occur simultaneously in the OOkla and Fast.com results.

Cheers

p.s. Are you on wireless? For strict testing, you should be wired and have no other activity on your network other than your testing.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now