CrowdSupport®

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Danly
Level 11: Detective

Re: Super Fast NBN is SUPER SLOW During Peak Times

I just performed 3 Ookla speedtest.net back to back (wireless through PC) 7.5Mbps, 16Mbps and 19Mbps. (No other activity)

The way my current set up is and where things are located and because i dont have a laptop, it is a pretty time consuming excercise hooking my PC up by ethernet for the test, so i will pass on that for now.

Ookla speedtest app on my Samsung tablet (wireless) has me at 84Mbps (With Foxtel Play running) Go figure?

northernangler1
Level 8: Inspector

Don't lodge a complaint with telstra lodge it to the TIO, Telstra will not do anything however when the big guy calls something will happen.
Demand a refund of at least half for every month the speed drops below about 60%
Telstra transmission manager, redundant in 1997 after 40 years.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Danly,

The directly connected test would indicate whether it is a network based issue or something to do with WiFi signal problems. 

If you have a FTTN connection you can test from the modem or a FTTP connection you can connect straight to the NTD port and bypass the modem. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Danly

My Telstra TV is connected via Ethernet.

I think the two instances that i observed last night point to it being congestion related.

1. Foxtel Play SD channel started buffering for 20-30 seconds.

2. I then immediately played a video through the Youtube app on Telstra TV with the 'stats for nerds' monitoring tool open. The connection speeds were briefly below 3Mbps and then remained low 3-12Mbps for a couple of minutes.

No other active connected devices when these speed drops occurred.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the issues are happening while directly connected and you have a few tests over a couple of days with the speeds in and out of peak times then technical support will be able to escalate further to the network team on 1800834273

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

brl121
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@AlistairQWA wrote:

If the issues are happening while directly connected and you have a few tests over a couple of days with the speeds in and out of peak times then technical support will be able to escalate further to the network team on 1800834273

- AlistairQWA

I think he needs you to add CVCs to his POI. That would seem to be the first issue to resolve. Then any remaining problem could be pursued.

By the way, Shelly mentioned that several POIs had added CVCs on the 10th. Was 9QBN one of those, because my congestion  improved markedly last week?

Thanks

brl121

@northernangler1 wrote:
Don't lodge a complaint with telstra lodge it to the TIO, Telstra will not do anything however when the big guy calls something will happen.
Demand a refund of at least half for every month the speed drops below about 60%

You're well off the mark here. Speeds are never guaranteed and the TIO wouldn't do anything about this. The correct process is to inform Telstra of the need for more CVCs at his POI, and that will happen in the normal course of business, i.e., with some delay.

Danly

I spoke to the NBN team not too long ago.

He said that congestion was identified in my area on 7th March, and fixed for my area on 10th March.

He will also be monitoring my speeds over the coming days.

Technical support will be calling me back next Monday night to follow up.

Not sure what to make now of my observations last night. (Telstra TV -Foxtel Play SD channel buffering for 20s, and then immediately tested Youtube app connection speed 3-12Mbps for a couple of minutes 'stats for nerds tool', connected via ethernet, no other active connected devices).

Also in regards to my main 'apparent' speed issue (Fox League HD buffering/pixelating a lot during peak hours).

It is weird how some users over at Whirlpool Forum have been saying that they haven't been experiencing any issues on this Channel whilst others are.

brl121

@Danly wrote:

I spoke to the NBN team not too long ago.

He said that congestion was identified in my area on 7th March, and fixed for my area on 10th March.

He will also be monitoring my speeds over the coming days.

Technical support will be calling me back next Monday night to follow up.

Not sure what to make now of my observations last night. (Telstra TV -Foxtel Play SD channel buffering for 20s, and then immediately tested Youtube app connection speed 3-12Mbps for a couple of minutes 'stats for nerds tool', connected via ethernet, no other active connected devices).

Also in regards to my main 'apparent' speed issue (Fox League HD buffering/pixelating a lot during peak hours).

It is weird how some users over at Whirlpool Forum have been saying that they haven't been experiencing any issues on this Channel whilst others are.

It's good that something is happening. Your Ookla observations last night could possibly be explained if you have poor wireless reception on your PC, while your tablet is OK. To see what effect their POI upgrade has had, you could run Ookla tests on and off-peak using a consistent method, perhaps just the tablet on wireless close to the modem. My POI upgrade (presumed) certainly worked.

Regarding the weirdness, nothing surpasses the Telstra-Netflix weirdness! I can get 0.5Mbps to Netflix on peak, while 90Mbps to Youtube. On the other hand, a colleague on TPG gets full speed to Netflix. He can ping the actual Netflix server I get given at 8mS, while I ping it at 300-400mS at the same time! Weird, indeed.

Unhappy70
Level 1: Cadet

Just to "change"the subject
We are having the same problems in Gisborne Victoria area
Fast speeds in the morning and during the day but come 4 pm speeds are slowing down to dial up connections.
Can Telstra dig in and spend some of our money on upgrading this appaling service which is called NBN.
smoothp20
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

They may already know, but a complaint call to Telstra NBN assurance would help bring it to their attention.
Unhappy70

In Gisborne Victoria is the lack of CVC as well
User2303
Level 4: Private Eye

Lack of CVC in Bendigo too. Come 3 pm the speed drops of to 4 Mbps from 25 Mbps. I have complained. Wheels turn slowly in Telstra
Karlj

Same deal over here in South West, Western Australia, 6210.

ADSL 2 was fine, steaming was no hassel with no buffing issues. Day one of switching to NBN, what a joke. Every night during peak time ( only time im home) i sturggle to steam any form of media. Even off - peak is horrible. Ugraded the modem to see if it would help with my wirless devices but the speed is still just as painfull, sometimes it just doesnt work at all.

Telstra, this is obviosly an Australia wide issue reading through your other unhappy customers posts. My voice won't get heard here but seriously, Telstras NBN rollout Austalia wide has been joke and it really needs to be sorted.

If i had a choice i would of happily stayed with ADSL 2..

subtlefly

Hey Guys,

don't worry about slow in peak times!  Here in bundaberg its just slow.  I am getting around 2 Mbps for my super fast nbn connection and thats as good as it gets.  Telstra says they don't care...  tech support actually asked me if I was thinking of moving, this they thought would be the easiest way to resolve the problem.  I cannot believe that I have been paying for a service for 7 months that they knew full well they could never deliver to me!  They say that congestion in the area means I can never expect any kind of reasonable speeds and that they will not refund any money, they actually did offer me a $7.00 refund for the 7 months of bills for super fast NBN that I have paid.  Ridiculous!  As far as I am concerned there should be a #payforwhatyouget movement and I should only be paying 10% of my bill if I only get 10% of the service.

sad

Support Team
Support Team

Your connection speeds can be affected by a range of factors, such as your line quality and distance to the exchange or hub and network traffic to the sites or services you use online. There's further information about NBN speeds at http://tel.st/nt22, and http://tel.st/4mu5 can help troubleshoot some common speed problems.

If there are any network faults or maintenance works in your area affecting broadband services these will be advised via our Service Status page at https://outages.telstra.com/. If nothing is listed there then our NBN Support teams on 1800 834 273 would be best to contact for investigation and assistance.

reax
Level 3: Gumshoe

Except your support teams ask you to do the same thing you have already tried three times again and then blame your house internal cabling as it couldn't be Telstra or the NBNs fault.

The magical cable fairies come in each night and fix all my issues as when i do speed tests at 6 am I am back to 82/36 , instead of the current 14/32 as of now.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi reax, 

This sounds like congestion. We closely monitor congestion on the CVC and increase the bandwidth accordingly. In an areas where NBN has only been available for a few months, we may need to increase this bandwidth several times before we get it just right.

reax

How long is a few months ? I was switched over to NBN in February.

reax

And the post school finish slowdown has already started.

1240 pm 

So has not even hit peak times and I am below the 60% "magic" threshold already on a 100 / 40 plan

reax

aaricus2017
Level 2: Rookie

I'm on FTTP NBN, normally get 100 mbps downloads, todays Friday and the second it hit 5PM, it's already down to 50 and falling.

I've never seen such severe congestion in my life on a Telstra network.

reax

1832 .. still falling

aaricus2017
Level 2: Rookie

It's now 7PM and on a 100 mbps FTTP NBN line, I am now getting 5.6 mbps in Bundaberg North, QLD.

Many pages are not even loading. Some speed tests are coming back at 2 mbps on a 100 mbps connection this is absolutely ridiculous.

WHY is this happening Telstra?????

They said peak congestion would be 60 mbps for premium but mines so slow i may as well unplug it and chuck it out the window.

its unusable.

Dean_

Hello Guys,

I am just doing research on NBN due to relocating to an area that is NBN ready. So far all I've read on the feed back forums is negative and from my experience with people I know that currently have and use NBN with boost packs is also negative. Where I reside at the moment I'm on Telstra cable with boost add on and in off peak times I'm getting a solid 105-110Mbps which is awesome and in peak times I'm getting 80-90Mbps which is still awesome, I've had this service for a year so far without a hiccup Smiley Happy

I have come to the conclusion that I will be staying with the cable internet service instead of switching to NBN. The only upside to NBN so far is the solid upload speed which seems to be better than the download speed.

FYI: when I first connected with Telstra cable it was a very poor service which after about a week of investigating and research I figured out that the stock standard Telstra netgear wireless modem router was terrible when more than 2-3 devices are connected to it. The speed test results I was getting on the stock modem/router were terrible but still better than NBN, I wouldn't get more than 60-80Mbps off peak and couldn't handle more than 3 wifi devices at a time, it would become like a dialup connection. To solve the problem I asked Telstra for a standalone cable modem that wasn't a wifi router, so they came out and installed the latest netgear NBN standalone modem they had and I went out and  purchased a Netgear NightHawk X10 R9000 router, plugged that into the modem and from then on its been flawless with no matter how many devices are connected Smiley Happy

truthsayer
Level 6: Bloodhound

think this NBN have been cheap while pocketing  billion.

NBN original was planned to replace  copper wire  to optic fibre , but  has only down about 5% 

the infrastructure with linking to optic fibre to copper has created a congestion.

copper = one lane.

optic fibre  = multi lane

and so  it is like this  a multi lane hitting a single lane equals slow speed and congestion.

secondly many of the exchanges are in dire need of a massive over haul.

The main issue is that NBNco are a disreputable company ripping the  people and government  off

So wonder why the prime minister  treasury and the communication ministers have not called for a audit on the company  to be made accountable and wonder why Shorten has not also  but  been waiting for a election to use it as a weapon...

Dean_

Yeh that makes sense. For a 1st world country with access to all the latest techs and advanced infrastructure where sure behind on internet connectivity lol some 3rd world countries have better broadband than us!!Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 6.26.55 am.png

Dean_

Ok Just spoke to a Telstra NBN "expert" and if you have an FTTP connection and pay an extra $30 a month then your minimum download speed peak times shouldn't drop below 60Mbps and off peak shouldn't drop below 90Mbps, however if you don't have FTTP connection then you are screwed paying premium dollar for a glorified ADSL2 connection and when say ADSL2 I mean ADSL2 not ADSL2+

Pyro2677

I've spoken to 7 Telstra "Technical" people and they have told me it is a modem issue that i need to update the firmware on, yet I'm on HFC so no modem needed. I rang NBN they said it is telstra not buying enough bandwidth, however i never had this problem in September/October only when telstra changed their plans from Super Fast NBN to Premium NBN at the start of November. Mine drops to 4-7mbps in peak hours far below their typical speed of 60mbps. NBN are not helping and Telstra are not helping I have lodged a complaint with Ombudsman and will see how things play out.  

truthsayer

ringing nbn is gggrrrr if you have problems with nbn then go here it will be better
https://www.facebook.com/nbnaustralia/
truthsayer

bill morrow is applying black mail we need to ask many question and understand more.
copper = 1 lane\
fibre + multi lane
fibre meets copper equates to congestion...
https://www.alibaba.com/.../5-days-lead-time-Direct...

we need our communication ministers our treasury and our leaders to insist on a audit to Mr Morrows company.
in all the companies that morrow managed when he was ceo he created a loss in profit and also a loos in customers....

Morrow is blackmailing the nation for more funds and if Shorten and Turnbull allows then they are condoning black mail to the australian people more money or you will have lower speeds https://www.lifehacker.com.au/.../nbn-boss-pay-up-or.../...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now