CrowdSupport®
Levery
Level 1: Cadet

Super Fast NBN is SUPER SLOW During Peak Times

Hey,

So my Super Fast NBN speed boost seems too slow waaaaaay down to a stand still during peak times, usually around 3pm each afternoon when all the kids get home from school. It doesn't seem to speed up again until about 10am the next morning at which time I am getting download speeds of around 80 Mbps . I live in a newly built area and have only had this NBN connected for a few days now, but this issue seems to have happened every afternoon, so not sure if it's something to look forward to or not?

It is a FTTP connection through my own Netgear Nighthawk 8X. I have also tried the Telstra supplied modem and there was no improvement with connection speed during the affected times. I obviously tried resetting the router several times, disconnecting all other devices, ensuring my PC is connected to the router directly via Ethernet cable. No luck thus far.

The area is Caloundra West - OR the new Aura estate in QLD - Sunshine Coast 4551.

Please let me know if you would like any further details.

Many thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Mr8111

Re: Super Fast NBN is SUPER SLOW During Peak Times

I am having the same issue- in Templestowe Lower Vic which has recently had the HFC converted to NBN. I tested at 9.00pm and got 0.64 mbs downloaded when previously Cable was always above 80 mbs. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The technical support team can look into the peak speed issues to see if any issues are known in the area or there is something further that needs to be escalated on 1800834273

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

eilyk

This is why I'm really hesitant to swap to NBN... I'm in Blackburn and despite just a few days ago the NBNco website said our address was still waiting on dates for install, and despite not receiving any sort of email from NBNco (as promised), we apparently now have HFC NBN ready to go. We currently get 115Mbps on Telstra cable with Ultimate speed boost and this doesn't really change no matter what time of the day it is. The only reason I'd upgrade before the deadline is because cable has a ridiculously slow upload speed of 2Mbps on a good day. I can't even take a photo on my phone (auto cloud backup) without it resulting in my partner yelling about the lag on his online game... I've heard that HFC generally keeps the same download speed but brings the upload up to 40Mbps but I'm trying to do as much research as possible before going ahead with something that can't be reversed,

I'm also unsure if they'll match my current plan as the deal we get is $160 on NBN compared to the $100 we pay.

ElDaffy
Level 2: Rookie

Happened to me as well except now my bandwidth has halved in the evenings

for last 3 years was on 1tb max per month with speed boost to 50Mb/s download but now in the evenings drops to less than 20Mb/s

With 3 kids online 2 of them trying to play fast paced first person shooters and wife on netflix, everyone is complaining  that NOTHING WORKS

Wish was back to 1TB per month instead of unlimited

obviously they're throttling the speed in the evening

i did not request or accept this change of plan to unlimited if throttling is the result

Im paying extra per month for speed boost and now no longer receiving what I'm paying for

BREACH OF CONTRACT BY TELSTRA

Have already put complaint to Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman and i recommend anyone else have speed issues in the evening since they've gone to unlimited do the same

Im paying $120 per month for a $60 per month service

Telstra was supposed to be the best.

AND I AM ON Fibre to the Premises

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey ElDaffy, 

I'm really sorry about the experience that you've had. 

The recent update to unlimited internet did not include any changes to our service delivery, we don't place any restrictions on your connection or change your plan speeds compared to when you had a data limit, the only time we would do this is if there was a breach to the Fair Use Policy. 

If you're experiencing issues with your connection, I'd suggest trying the steps in our troubleshooter here: http://tel.st/4mu5 and if you are not seeing any improvements to speak with our NBN Tech Support team on 1800 834 273. 

I understand that you've raised a complaint with the TIO, in that case they will be liaising with our complaints team to arrange contact with you for this to be investigated also. 

Let us know how it goes, 
- JesseH

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now