CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
barrti
Level 2: Rookie

Super fast speed boost on NBN

Hi,

From day one, we had chosen a 25 Mb/s NBN FTTN connection and we actually got 24.3 Mb/s download so it proves the line and modem (Gateway Max) are ok.

We then added a super fast speed boost option over a week ago.

We should be getting 100 Mb/sec download or very close to it on our FTTN NBN connection.

We are approximately 100 metres from the Node so there is minimal copper.

Our download speed stayed exactly the same at 24 Mb/sec!

I called support and they tested the modem remotely and deemed that our new Gateway max was defective.  A new one was sent quickly.

We fitted it and found that nothing has changed- we still get a maximum of 24 Mb/s.

We have spent quite a while talking to tech support but......

Does anyone have any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Tim-Bluck
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Super fast speed boost on NBN

How long has FTTN been available in your area?

I ask this because during the inital installation period where there are services jumpered to both NBN's Node and Telstra's copper Main Pair accross the pillar they implement something called "coexistence".

During the "coexistence" period services running through the transferred pillar are throttled somewhat. They say the speed should be about 12Mbps but some people get faster speeds and others slower depending on the day and the time.

Apart from coexistence there could be an issue with the jumpering and/or there could be a copper fault on the line.
i.e. Line Earthing, foreign battery, Open Circuit, etc.

It could be that it has nothing to do with your specific connection at all and could just be a congested Broadband Network Gateway (BNG). A BNG is essentially a complex router that handles connections/sessions/authentication and connects you to Telstra's broadband network. Trying to find someone in Telstra to ask about this one will be tricky.

If you are using a Technicolor Gateway then it could be partially to blame due to buggy firmware, failed firmware updates, failed workflows, etc. You can asked that they remove the modem from their remote management system but it will be hit and miss to find someone who knows what they are doing.

It could also be none of these things and instead be an "activation" issue. When they modify your service to add the speed boost it places an order in their system, if this order has failed or errored out or even left in "Pending" (not submitted) then no change to your plan would be made which means the speed boost may never have been applied.

steponafish

Hi Barrti
How did you go?
I had the same problem from the start.June 16
Then i decided to try again waiting still they said should be done in 2 1/2 weeks
What a joke no one can give me a straight answer.
So frustrating!!!!!
Cheers
Blackvulcan3

Having very similar issue.

Was on Fast from the start 25/5. My house is 4 doors down from the node which is less than 100m from the exchange. 

After NBN install I got 23.6Mbs down and 4.98up.

Asked for a Super fast 100/40 speed boost.

The fastest DL I have had tonight on ookla or telstra.speedtest is 23Mbps, generally 12 and now 6-7Mbs which is a third of what I got on ADSL. I am getting 37Mbs up.

My line speed is 97.7 down and 42.4up.

Last night , pre speed boost, we could comfortably watch youtube on all devices and surf. Now we cant with the Superfast speed boost.

Blackvulcan3

9:20pm 6Mbps down 37 up
11:20pm 90Mbps down 37 up

I hope this is not reflective of the standard of FTTN. Useless for doing the things you want during peak times but great at bed time.
Blackvulcan3

Its so clearly throttled during peak period.

Disgraceful behaviour.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What you describe does sound like there may be congestion that is causing the slower speeds during peak times. Once identified, we do organise for upgrades to address this.

To confirm if you are in a known congestion area and to find out when this will be addressed, please contact Tech Support on 1800 834 273.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

itfarmer

Got the same, on speedboost i get

DS: 47.9 Mbit/s US: 12.7 Mbit/s

Told there is congestion so i have to wait it out.

brooke14

i changed to Nbn over a week ago, i paid for the super speed boost and all i am getting is 36mpbs tops.

after spending a week and hours on the phone to India who just read scripts with excuses i finally get the congestion is an issue and you are co existing.

interesting as my friend who lives 3 doors down had the same issue for 2 weeks and then they sorted it and she now has 92mpbs.

so i dont understand, if an 'area" is in co existence whilst developing surely its the whole street?

whay can she get it and i cant?

the suburb was connected about a month ago.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Brooke14

The only thing I can suggest is that you speak with our NBN Team again, 1800834273 - IVR > Say “faults” and request that your concerns be escalated so they can be investigated further by a higher level Technician. 

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

brooke14

Already done that, they still won't budge from the co existing tough luck stance. i have put in a complaint which takes upto 5 days to respond too, and im sure i will get the same response there.

they know which areas will be co existing, being upfront before you sign up and switch would be the honest way to go.

brooke14

So again i spent hours on the phone being passed around, they tried to tell me my neighbour who gets the faster speed has fibre to the premises, after i argued nobody in our suburb has that they eventually backed down and said their mistake that its actually the cvc , too much traffic and my neighbour is on a better frequency than me.  I have to put up with it for another 18 months they said.

So its just a con, they are selling something they cannot produce and then they just say we wont charge you for the speed boost! well im not getting it so you can't charge me , but thats not the point, i would not have switched if i had known i would be worse off!

After doing research it seems telstra havn't purchased enough wavelengths ( if thats the term) , so would changeing retailer help?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Once a CVC has been identified as being congested, we have a process to increase the bandwidth available to the CVC. This process can take a few weeks, but I am a bit surprised that you were advised it would take 18 months. 

You might also be interested that individual houses or streets to be changed from FTTN to FTTP via the Technology Choice Program offered by NBN Co

- Shelly

brooke14

what gets me the most is the blantant lies they spin . The consultant was adamant my neighbour had FTTP , she even took down the address and said she checked it, eventually when i got cross and said no one in the suburb has FTTP  she said she must of made a mistake.

firstly i was told the upgrade would take till the 10th jan, then the next person told me it would take 18 months, today they called me back to follow up my complaint and said it had been upgraded on the 27th dec , and said i must be getting a good speed now, when i said it was no different she said she would follow it up.( yeah, yeah, blah blah)

Its all just bull**bleep**, and i'm sick of getting the runaround, pure honesty is all i want, and the next step is i am not paying my bill as i'm not getting the speed. fair trading is my next step.

Evilcj
Level 1: Cadet

Hi brooke where do you live...im living in west wodonga 3690...and having exactly the same problem....purchased super speed 100mbps and only getting 16mbps on a good day..issued a complaint with telstra...they couldn't explain the slow speeds and gave me the run around...so now the complaint is now with the ombudsman...telstra finally got back to me saying its congestion and co-existence...this maybe a little bit of an issue but not the main reason...with research i have done i would say it mostly comes down to "cvc"...will be canceling my contract very soon after another phone call to the ombudsman....if telstra wont fix the issue
brooke14

I'm no where near you, Blacktown area.

I actually called before i signed up to ask for a speed estimate on my address and they told me between 75-85. So they just lie to get you in the door then blame the nbn who blame Telstra for not buying enough cvc.

Not surprisingly my case manager who promised to call me back within 24 hours didnt, a week later nothing.

I was getting much faster speed before i switched , if i had known how bad it was i wouldn't have done it, but based on my neighbours good speed i did.

Over xmas i spoke to another neighbour who used to work for Telstra and he said they don't give a crap about individual customers, the only people who put pressure on them to buy more cvc is the other retailers using the lines , and he said go fair trading.

Bottom line, if you get a congested cvc they will spin you with lies till you give up, its a lottery , not worth risking if you currently have good speed on ADSL.

brooke14

So i finally get a call back from Telstra to say they are closing my case because there is nothing they can do about my slow speed as its the NBN's fault they havn't bought enough lines so its nothing to do with them!

What a joke.

Still getting low 40mbps , and i was getting high 8's on my Adsl, so wish i hadn't switched!!!

Teka

I feel your pain!

I have ordered superfast speed last 26/02 and spent hours on the phone with Telstra since then and they also sent me a new modem.  Never got even close to 100mbps advertised.

They connected to my laptop remotelly and I had to connect via cable.  Who uses cables these days?  It is called wireless!  You want to use your equipment around the house without connecting to a cable from modem to a device.

It was all about trying to work out why I don't get even 60mbps.  I test speed everyday and I am paying for 100mbps and in good days I get 36mbps download in my laptop.

They told me that my equipment is old first but the latest excuse is that some works were done in the area like weeks ago that may be affecting my connection but when I ask for a credit in my bill for the service that I am not getting, they do nothing about it.  

I am in the point now that I am going to contact ACCC because honestly this is just false advertisement.  Look at Telstra's disclamer below:

Speed: Actual speeds will be slower and will vary for a number of reasons including your equipment/software, data source and content type, the number of users and the performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by Telstra. Speeds may be slower when your devices are connected by Wi-Fi rather than Ethernet cable

If to get the 100mbps advertised we have to have a laptop/device with a specific configuration then they should mention it in their disclamer so that people can make an informed decision before buying superfast speed that it will never work!

They also should be clear that the only way to get close to 100mbps is via ethernet cable. The disclaimer says "speed may be slower when your devices are connected by WiFi rather than Ethernet cable" 

We have brand new Iphones in the house and when we check the speed, it is max 47mbps!  

Then, everytime you talk to them you stay minimum 1 hour on the phone!  I wonder if their Customer Service people is paid by time that each call takes because these people for sure spent over 5 hours with me on this issue that still not resolved!

I don't want phone calls anymore!  I want to get what I am paying for!

I will apply for a job at Telstra because then I can show them what customer service really is!  You deliver what you advertise or lose your customers!

grrr

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tekka, I apologise however it has never been possible to guarantee that all members will receive maximum service speeds. Members pay for access to a network and an allowance, not for guaranteed top speeds I'm sorry. This is simply the nature of broadband technology. You can use some basic tips to maximise your potential speeds though : How To Troubleshoot Speed IssuesHow To Troubleshoot Speed Issues 

This information may also be helpful to you : Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity)

Teka

Thanks Cas, but all suggestions listed in the trobleshooting were tested without sucess.

We identified that the problem is not in the modem nor the box in the wall. We connected from the wall straight into my laptop via cable and still the max we got that way was 60mbps so then the technical support blamed first my laptop and then mentioned that could be issues with some works done in the network weeks before and that I should wait 1 week.  

I have bought a product that I am not getting.  I m paying for something that I don't have.

Again, if the laptop that we have to use to get fastest speed has to have a certain configuration that should be explained by Telstra before hand so that people can make an informed decision.

This is just not a good service at all.

CaptainCol

Hi Cas-Ra....I switched to NBN from ADSL2+ over 4 weeks ago. I nominated SuperFast on the available FTTN in my area (Port Stephens NSW). My DL went from 14Mb to 22Mb and my UL from 1M to 6M. I have had a total of twelve conversations with Telstra/NBN staff since then regarding the lack of any sort of response even approaching 50-100 Mb, and only today was I told that the lack of speed was due to "coexistence" and that it should be fixed in "maybe" 18 months. Questions: (1) Why wasn't I warned of the possibility of "coexistence" when I signed up to Telstra NBN and agreed to pay an extra $15/Month and (2) Will Telstra cut the $15/Month from my contract without throttling me back to the pre-existing ADSL speed? If ever there was an example of misleading and deceptive conduct it would be the Telstra/NBN page touting the SuperFast option.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi CaptainCol,

I can see why that would be frustrating. If you feel you're not getting the assistance you need you may lodge a complaint here Lodging a complaint with Telstra to have this case managed.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

-Chris

MsLeanne

Co - existence really means - you have our base range cheap and nasty modem unlike the Gateway Frontier like your neighbours do and thats why your service drops out, aaaaaaaaaaaand we don't really care cheapskate!!!!!!

@brooke14 wrote:

i changed to Nbn over a week ago, i paid for the super speed boost and all i am getting is 36mpbs tops.

after spending a week and hours on the phone to India who just read scripts with excuses i finally get the congestion is an issue and you are co existing.

interesting as my friend who lives 3 doors down had the same issue for 2 weeks and then they sorted it and she now has 92mpbs.

so i dont understand, if an 'area" is in co existence whilst developing surely its the whole street?

whay can she get it and i cant?

the suburb was connected about a month ago.

b0ng0man

i am very lucky i was offered from telstra the upgrade to NBN i accepted on the condition that thye could deliver what they were promissing , i specifically told the telstra person who signed me up not to sign me up for something that they could not deliver.

so i am paying 140 dollars for super fasrt internet and extra 30 for spped boost and i get 4.84/2.71upload.

my adsl2 gave me 12.5 upload! i am under the coexistence saga in plain english i pay for 100/40 and they share the data with all my street and i only get 5/2.7 and telstra wont let me go elsewhere as they want me to pay an exit fee of 249 dollars for something they arent cannot provide me.the NBN technician came and told me that the copper line was bad even though i know i had the best one in the street rewired my my mate who worked at telstra a while back.why is it i have to share the bandwidth i am paying for with everyone else, why is it i have spent over 120 hours with these liers from the philipines who tell me they can fix it or tell me i should consider myself luck y to have some internet?

oztechie

Just chiming in with my experience, my ADSL speed was ordinary to say the least, out of a possible 20mps or more I was lucky to get 3 or 4 so having moved to the NBN even at its worst it is still better than what I had however as most have said its simply not good enough to have to accept near enough as good enough. In my case my modem (Telstra supplied) reports that its syncs at anything from 21 thru to 22.89 down and around 2.89 up given I am on the 25MPS plan I figured that was OK-ish. I am approx 750-800 metres away from the node. Last night I ran a speed test around 8pm and it clocked in a 14mps down and up was about the same at 2.89. this morning I tested it again after rebooting my router at approx 6am and it was struggling to get to 20mps. I have been on the NBN since October when it first arrived and speeds were better now it seems more users are on board and the congestion begins.I am on the Buff Point Exchange in San Remo NSW.  Can or wil this be improved, would be it worth the risk to get a speed boost to say 50MPS? 

On a side note I work in IT so I do understand that everything is not within your realm of control but with all due respect in my experience if you are honest with people they still won't like it but at least they know you're no BS'ing them in to thinking they will get speeds you know they have no chance of getting , paying for the privelege and then getting nonsens excuses for it when it doesn't happen

Support Team
Support Team

Hey b0ng0man,

I can appreciate your frustrations with the connection issues and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused you Smiley Sad If you would like to have the cancellation fee disputed further, then this can be raised as an official complaint, allowing a case manager to investigate and resolve this further. Steps for having this raised can be located at:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

Bardygrub18
Level 3: Gumshoe

I had a complaint in for the past three weeks.
We are on fftn and have a speed boost up to 50mbps. Can't get 100mbps speed boost.
Any way about two months ago I noticed that YouTube and any other streaming after around 5 pm started buffering and face book pages were slow to load.
Started doing speed tests and we are only getting between 3 to 5 Mbps at night!
Telstra complaints called me back yesterday, fed me a heap of things which I had to correct them on they then called me back to say that it is co existence! And I would just have to wait for everyone on my rim to trancefer over to nbn.
Is this for real???????? I mean I was getting around 12mbps on adsl+2 24/7.
So After speaking with Telstra and nbn I just have to deal with it!
I am so frustrated with this absolute crap internet.

orion_jb2001
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Curious, what do they do to supply these fast and super fast speeds in NBN if the last leg is copper???? What technology or device to accomplish this???

Jeff

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now