Highlighted
frustrations
Level 1: Cadet

Switch from Home Broadband to Business ... modem hates me now

Answered

So we deicded to switch our service at home to business as we run a home business.

The "reverse migration" took forever, we never received the email letting us know it had finally happened our net just stopped working, and when i rang telstra they informed me we were business now..

We were given a new sign in for the modem of an @direct.telstra.net address which i entered, applied and hey presto net was back, then it was gone. Restarted the modem AGAIN, checked it and the sign in had reverted back to our home plan sign in. I re entered the business log in, applied and hey presto net again....

It lasted a week EXACTLY and now tonight ive had to restart and reenter the business sign for about the last 4 hours.

Anyone had similar? Anyone able to help???

We are using the telstra provided modem TG 797

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Switch from Home Broadband to Business ... modem hates me now

I'm wondering if perhaps the modem is still set for auto provisioning (via TR-069). This is designed so that when someone changes a password via the website for example, it will 'push' the new details to their modem.

Great for people who are non-technical and might not be comfortable with setting up modems. Also good for 'out of the box' functionality.

However in this case the systems at Telstra might be seeing your modem and pushing out the old residential credentials in an effort to help get you online.

I would suggest contacting tech support to see if this is the case, and if they can put a halt to it.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Accepted Solution

If it's pulling the residential details from them then yes there is a system on their end that needs updating.

When you connect to the server it see the 'MAC' address of your modem. This is a unique serial number/fingerprint that no other device has.

It is then checking this MAC against it's database and saying, oh this modem doesn't have the 'right' details in it and that means this customer might not be able to connect to the internet. So via the TR-069 (technical jargon) protocol it sends the username and password directly to the modem and says these are the right details, use these.

However, as you know, those details are in fact now wrong. So Telstra need to update the system that is sending the details to either stop doing so, or to use the new business username/password.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

I'm wondering if perhaps the modem is still set for auto provisioning (via TR-069). This is designed so that when someone changes a password via the website for example, it will 'push' the new details to their modem.

Great for people who are non-technical and might not be comfortable with setting up modems. Also good for 'out of the box' functionality.

However in this case the systems at Telstra might be seeing your modem and pushing out the old residential credentials in an effort to help get you online.

I would suggest contacting tech support to see if this is the case, and if they can put a halt to it.

frustrations

Yeah ive spoken to them twice .... both times im told to turn off modem, re enter my settings, apply and there you go its fixed .... it just doesnt stay fixed. It disconnects and wont reconnect, then when i open the modem settings i see its reverted to the old info. Does this mean telstra havent updated at their end??

Accepted Solution

If it's pulling the residential details from them then yes there is a system on their end that needs updating.

When you connect to the server it see the 'MAC' address of your modem. This is a unique serial number/fingerprint that no other device has.

It is then checking this MAC against it's database and saying, oh this modem doesn't have the 'right' details in it and that means this customer might not be able to connect to the internet. So via the TR-069 (technical jargon) protocol it sends the username and password directly to the modem and says these are the right details, use these.

However, as you know, those details are in fact now wrong. So Telstra need to update the system that is sending the details to either stop doing so, or to use the new business username/password.

frustrations

Thanks very much kalak .... i will try again with tech support and see if i can get someone i can understand to understand me Smiley Happy

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more