CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Switching to NBN from ADSL Bundle

NBN is available in my area later this week and I spoke with Telstra last weekend to arrange a recontract to an NBN plan, the consultant said she would do the order and send it to the Back of House team and it will be processed in 7-10 days but in the meantime I would receive a confirmation email. I asked what the process is for connection to NBN and explained that I had a telstra tech onsite in January who said I was good to go and can just do a self install as a visit wouldnt be required. I contacted on Monday and was told that I wouldnt receive a confirmation email but the order would be processed in 48hrs and then I would get an email, I asked what I then had to do to activate NBN and switch off the ADSL and was told I would receive an email, so I am a little confused and have a few questions

1. Will I receive an email outlining what I need to do to begin using NBN?

2. As I have the latest modem and tech said he would not need to attend is it a matter of just plugging the landline into the modem and removing the splitter?

3. Do I have to call a number to activate the service or go to a website?

4. Does telstra cancel my ADSL once they have processed my order or will it remain active until I activate NBN connection?

I can't find clear information on the website or get clear answers via support.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Switching to NBN from ADSL Bundle

This is how I get switched to NBN from ADSL.

1. Place your order online or via conversation with Telstra sale team with a new modem.

2. Assign an appointment by Telstra team (24/2). They will send a staff out to my house and plug in Telstra modem. They will remove the splitter. Still with ADSL service.

3. Assign another appointment with NBN (27/2) but no one will come to your house. You will receive an email saying that you are on NBN network now. You just need to test the Speed.

Done

Highlighted

Hi Jason,Point 2 wont be needed as I had a tech here last month who said I wont need another telstra visit for NBN

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

If its a FTTN service, on the day off cut over a Tech will connect your line to the node. While this is happening you will lose the Internet for about 10 minutes.

• There is no need for you to activate the service on line just make sure you remove splitter/filter, connect gateway directly to phone wall socket and connect phone to gateway.
  • There is no need to for a Telstra Tech to visit the premises.
  • Telstra will cancel your old ADSL service you will still have the same user name and password.
  • If you have a back to base alarm system or central splitter these will have to be removed before cut over.
  • The link below provides information on how to connect.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/nbn/self-install-kit-instructions-for-nbn-fttn...

If you have any questions ring 1800811273

Highlighted
Level 14: Field Agent

@njbarr

If you are getting FTTN you might want to do a bit of research of the pros and cons of switching from ADSL to NBN.

FTTN is less reliable than ADSL

FTTN does not guarantee faster speed. How far are you from the node? and Do you have good ADSL speed now?

FTTN can suffer from congestion. i.e. Slow in peak time.

You have 18 months to switch to NBN. Either you make an informed decision to join now (after weighing pros and cons) or wait until you are forced to join.

You can search the dicussions thread here to find out feedbacks from people that have a lot of issues with FTTN after switching from ADSL.They wish they had not switched to FTTN.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Don't swap for at least 12 months.

It just isn't worth it.  My swap to the NBN has seen speeds 4x slower than my old ADSL connection.

If you want to use your connection for anything other than text based web browsing, avoid swapping at all costs.

This is what I get every single night.  And the NBN has only been available in my area for just over two weeks.

Upload that is faster than a download.

Well this thread scared me enough to cancel my NBN order lol

I had numerous issues with dropouts in January and after a lot of work by telstra the problem was fixed and my connection is good, I dont like the idea of going through numerous dropouts etc again.

Highlighted

I think you are making a mistake cancelling your NBN order. Your drop outs were probably caused by a line fault. Transferring to NBN will not bring the fault back in fact you are less likely to suffer line faults because the distance from Node to your house is less than distance from exchange to house.

My FTTN connection is far superior to the ADSL connection it replaced. Speed went from 5/0.7 to 25/5. In peak periods it sometimes drops back to 11/4 but that is still better than ADSL.

NBN has only been available in my area for 4 months, the connection has been working for two months with no drop outs or speed problems.. 

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Don't do it!

I just got switched over, it's terrible. 

I've had a massive drop in speed.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6092666056

xDSL

Status Connection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink encapsulation
UP
00h26m53s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
 Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]
DownstreamUpstream
8.30-5.60
Highlighted
Highlighted
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi guys, 

For NBN technical support please give us a call on 1800 834 273 and we can check on this for you. We need test run on each line and escalating each service if needed. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

@Iain_T wrote:

Hi guys, 

For NBN technical support please give us a call on 1800 834 273 and we can check on this for you. We need test run on each line and escalating each service if needed. 

I did...

Two weeks ago.  Two weeks of having internet that drops to between 250 to 400 KILOBYTES a second for almost 12 hours each and every single day.

Netflix?   Not a hope in hell.

Youtube?  Possible, if you enjoy watching 480p and even then you need to wait for it to buffer.

Gaming?  Nope. 

A new modem will not fix this.

Restarting or factory resetting my modem will not fix this.

Calling 1800 TFIBRE yeilds nothing but the same garbage.  

It should not take TWO WEEKS for this to have been fixed.    

I want an actual answer to when this is expected to be fixed, not an estimation or a guess.  But an actual date.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bgodsall,

If the NBN network team are investigating the issue, there may not be a timeframe estimate or completion date. If there is a field tech being sent after the investigation, this will have an appointment set. 

If the tech support team has not given you a callback with any followup after two weeks then I would suggest activating the callback link you should have received when the fault was logged so they can let you know the latest information from NBN investigation. They should be also able to look into this on the 1800834273 contact number.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks Doomant,

Still cranky at Telstra for cancelling mine, but this makes me thankful that my ADSL2 is probably gonna be faster than the 100Mbit I was going to be paying for.

Cheers bud.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

@njbarr wrote:

1. Will I receive an email outlining what I need to do to begin using NBN?

3. Do I have to call a number to activate the service or go to a website?

4. Does telstra cancel my ADSL once they have processed my order or will it remain active until I activate NBN connection?

I can't find clear information on the website or get clear answers via support.

I have similar questions needing answers - signed up online a couple of weeks ago, received new modem & Telstra TV the following week, then a couple of days later got a "Welcome to Telstra" email which stated:

"You have chosen to install your Telstra services on the nbn network yourself. A Telstra Gateway will be delivered to your home on your requested delivery date. Once nbn co has connected your home to the nbn network, and activated your service (which may take up to 24 hours) you will then be able to follow the Quick Start Guide to connect your Telstra Gateway to the nbn network."

I didn't request a delivery date, (wasn't asked for one, presumably since I opted for self install), & I've heard nothing since (nearly a week now), so will I receive some sort of notification that I am switched over to nbn?

I assume that when it happens I won't have ADSL anymore, but I hope that's not how I find out.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TroopyPilot

I'd recommend checking in with our NBN Team on 1800 TFIBRE. 
They can access your order and let you know when you can expect your NBN connection to kick in. 

You should however receive an email to give you 24 hours notice that the switchover is going to occur.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Good luck. You are dealing with Telstra after all!!!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit