CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TechHead123
Level 4: Private Eye

TELSTRA NBN broadband and phone bundle

Answered

We've been with Telstra & its predecessor for our phone services for many years, and we are currently on a plan with home telephone, and 1 mobile with 2gb data and $1k of calls which work well for us.

Our ADSL is with another provider, and this area has had NBN FTTN for over 12 months now so its time to move to NBN for internet.

What we are after is a bundle covering our telephones and internet access - no Foxtel, entertainment etc.

I can't find a bundle on the Telstra site that covers exactly what we want. 

Does Telstra have one that will suit, or do we need to go with another provider that does provide telephone & NBN broadband only, or stay with a separate ISP for NBN broadband?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: TELSTRA NBN broadband and phone bundle

There most bundles are listed on line, but visiting your local Telstra store of calling 1800 834 273 they will be able to discuss plans that would be suitable for you
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

No. I'm on an ADSL2 plan which should not be difficult to transfer to NBN as the only change needed is where to plug in devices on a TG797nv3 modem. At least in theory. Suburb slowly getting NBN. Cost varies with data limits.
You may however find cheaper plans elsewhere. However, I have no idea what you mean by $1k phone calls. You can use a wireless network with it. Choose ethernet or wireless or if you allow Airplay on your router, you could use that.
Accepted Solution

There most bundles are listed on line, but visiting your local Telstra store of calling 1800 834 273 they will be able to discuss plans that would be suitable for you
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

TechHead123
Level 4: Private Eye

OK thanks, I wasn't aware of that. It doesn't help when researching the various sites Smiley Happy

I like to be prepared when going in to see them.
Sav2
Level 2: Rookie

I am new to Telstra NBN with WIFI connection about 200 mts from fibre.
My download speed is 6.3 - 6.8Mbps and upload speed is 1.2 - 1.9Mbps ...
This compares with my old 5G WIFI of 55.8 - 64.4Mbps and 12.5 - 15.5Mbps
Why on Gods green earth would anyone use NBN? ... I have tried moving the receiver/box around in my place to no avail.
I am cancelling.

If you'd like help with your speed issue please Post your modem stats otherwise if you would like to cancel your service you can contact the disconnections team on 132200 and say disconnect:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway
(DJN2130):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?

Level 21: Augmented

@Sav2 wrote:
I am new to Telstra NBN with WIFI connection about 200 mts from fibre.
My download speed is 6.3 - 6.8Mbps and upload speed is 1.2 - 1.9Mbps ...
This compares with my old 5G WIFI of 55.8 - 64.4Mbps and 12.5 - 15.5Mbps
Why on Gods green earth would anyone use NBN? ... I have tried moving the receiver/box around in my place to no avail.
I am cancelling.

I am bit at lost with your post... If you were on fixed wireless, then the distance from the fibre does not matter, the distance from the station would matter. And you would not be able to move receiver around your place, since the antenna for that has to be on the roof and in direct visible line to the transmitter...

So, I am guessing that you are on FTTN, not on fixed wireless. But if you were 200m from the node, the speed should be much higher...

Can you please clarify and also do what others suggested and post the modem/router stats?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Sav2

OK, must be FTTN... or maybe FTTC
Router is Gateway model DJA0230 Made in Vietnam... a big slender white box
Hold on... the box it came in said it is a Telstra Smart Modem manufactured by Technicolor model DJA0230
It connects to NBN by WIFI which is 200 mts away. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Sav2, welcome to CrowdSupport.

At this point your best bet would be to run the troubleshooter here: tel.st/tst and if that doesn't resolve your issue, use the reference number it provides to contact our NBN Support team on 1800 834 273, option 3.

Let us know how it goes.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

If you are on FTTN or FTTC, then the modem does not connect to NBN by WIFI!!! So, I am now guessing that your modem is actually on backup cellular/wireless connection which would correlate with the speeds you are claiming (the backup mobile connection is limited to this speed on purpose). Can you go back and do what you were already asked to do and post your modem stats?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

In addition to what ForensicsGuru has said, what colour is the online light on the modem? is it green or magenta (reddy-purpley colour)
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 25: The Singularity

And if you are on FTTN or FTTC your modem should be plugged in to your phone socket the same way your ADSL connection was. That is how it works.

As the others have said, it sounds like that you are on the backup which uses the mobile phone network and is limited to a maximum of 6Mbps download speed.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Sav2

... I guess thats it because there is no telephone wires into my place
Sav2

solid green

That's nonsense. If you're on FTTN or FTTC then there must be copper to the house. If you were on fixed wireless, then there would be fixed antenna on your roof.

Sav2

It is NOT nonsense, I am in a caravan that does not move, and I have no fixed telephone, and there is NO antenna on the roof.
The Telstra salesman pitching NBN to me said it would work just fine, he just didn't tell me how bad "just fine" would be.

Why don't you just give us your modem stats? Until then I simply do not believe you - no Telstra person would seel you "NBN" in this way!!!

Can you please check the nbn technology type for your area here https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html then let us know. As is sounds like youve been incorrectly sold NBN. Id also reconmend talking with management of the caravan park to see what there position on nbn is. The smart modem cant be used on the 4g backup indefinitely without the service being shaped. Additionally I would recommend calling 1800 834 273 to speak with the NBN team about your order as there should be an NBN connection date for it, this is usually when they wire up the phone port for NBN FTTN. If you arent able to get a phone port to your caravan, the carvan management should be able to advise if your allowed to. If haveing the phone line to your caravan is not possible id reconmend asking for your order to be cancelled. Out or curiosity how did you get internet access before then NBN?

In reading back over the previous posts (with all the information now available), it looks like they were on mobile broadband.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Sav2

I have found out I there FTTP to the Ground Managers Office, but my caravan is but I am about 200mts from that Office.
I doubt Telstra will lay 200 metres of copper wire to an old caravan, however I will ask them.
I am not in a caravan park but at the back of a sports ground.
Thanks for your help guys.
Sav2

I said my old internet connection is WIFI, but it is probably properly called "Broadband Mobile"
The router is a NIGHTHAWK M1 ... Model: MR1100
It gives me about 45Mbps to 65Mbps upload speeds which is 10x better than this NBN broadband I've been sold.
I will cancel the NBN contract if Telstra cannot put in 200mts of copper wire.
Thanks for your help

Telstra won't be able to lay any cable. That would be up to NBN Co. Complicating issues is that it is an FTTP area, so it would be Fibre Optic cable, plus it doesn't sound like you own the property (sounds like a council owned facility by your description), so there would be written agreements required plus installation costs.

The Telstra consultant probably assumed that you were the legal lessee of the ground managers office because of the address that you would have given.

I'm now hoping their connection hasn't been affected because of this.
Bundu56
Level 1: Cadet

Well the nbn internet is dropping , slow at moment in spite of multiple complaints. I am at <personal details removed to protect your privacy on this public Community> It is shame the problem unsettled in spite of several complaints. My usage as on now is only 10% .

Sav2

I am totally fed up with Telstra at this stage.
I managed to get my NBN contract cancelled, but can't take the Smart Modem back to Telstra because the Telstra Shop won't accept it without a verification number or something.
Telstra did not send me an email saying the contract is cancelled... these freakin indians are hopeless.

I thought they would have sent out a return bag.

They don't send out return bags any more from what I was told.
What they should have done was to put a note on the account for the return to store. When the customer goes into the store, the in-store consultant then checks the notes to confirm the return and can then accept the device. If there is no note on file, then they cannot accept the return as there is no reference for it, and the store can't generate it (especially as most stores are licensed rather than Telstra owned).
Sav2

Correct... I had to spend another 30 to 40 minutes on the phone to an Indian just to get a reference number put on my account so I could return it.
It only took around 6 phone calls totaling over 5 hours to effect an Telstra/NBN complaint, service cancellation and 2 trips into a Telstra shop to finally get myself untangled from this freaking mess.
Now I expect further problems when my next bill arrives but hopefully not.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now