Highlighted
montypython
Level 1: Cadet

Tapping NBN Average speed

Answered

Just moved over from ASDL2+ to NBN with Telstra. The plan I signed up for was 40mbps but doing speed checks at different times of the day over the past two weeks I have never had a download speed of more than 20mbps.

Is this the best speed I can expect here in Tapping?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Tapping NBN Average speed

Congestion doesn't normally cause speed to fluctuate by 70% over a one minute period. The decrease in speed is gradual If you are getting a constant 15 Mbps during busy periods and 45 Mbps during no busy periods then that would be caused by congestion. When NBN is first installed in an area it takes a while for ISPs to catch up with the number of new subscribers and purchase enough CVC. If you haven't already ring Telstra NBN assurance 1800 834 273 and report the low speed. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

If you are using a Telstra gateway, can you go to 192.168.0.1 > advance > broadband > and copy and paste or screenshot the stats from there it will help work out what you are able to get as an optimal speed. The stats will include a max speed, line speed, attenuation, noise and the like.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

If you have a FTTN connection were the Telstra modem plugs into a telephone wall socket the maximum speed of the link could be limited by distance from the node. You can check the maximum speeds by logging into the modem and checking the DSL line stats. The line stats are located here on the different gateways.

TG799 and TG800
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Frontier (DJN2130) or Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

montypython

Hi Guys,
checked my gateway and this is what it shows.

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
1 hour 25 minutes 25 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
43.78 Mbps 128.34 Mbps
Line Rate
20 Mbps 54.99 Mbps
Data Transferred
2142.04 MBytes 624.33 MBytes
Output Power
-9 dBm 7.2 dBm
Line Attenuation
3.1, 11.3, 21.4 dB 6.4, 20.1, 23.4 dB
Noise Margin
18.1 dB 20.1 dB

Is the device you are measuring the speed connected by WiFi or Ethernet? Have you tried using another device to measure the speed?

You should be getting close to 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. So unless there is massive congestion in your area due to Telstra not buying enough CVC from NBN CO or lack of capacity in the local Telstra Network or lack of local back-haul capacity in the NBN CO network. If the problem was congestion it would have little effect on upload speed but there will be large fluctions in speed between idle and busy periods.

montypython

I have noticed that the upload speed stays pretty constant between 15-20mbps . I have checked the DL speed on a device connected by ethernet and I do get speeds up to 45mbps but the variation in the test speeds is all over the place, 1 minute its 45mbps, redo the test 1 minute later and its 15mbps. Is this down to the amount of users in the area and if yes is it worth looking at another provider.
Accepted Solution

Congestion doesn't normally cause speed to fluctuate by 70% over a one minute period. The decrease in speed is gradual If you are getting a constant 15 Mbps during busy periods and 45 Mbps during no busy periods then that would be caused by congestion. When NBN is first installed in an area it takes a while for ISPs to catch up with the number of new subscribers and purchase enough CVC. If you haven't already ring Telstra NBN assurance 1800 834 273 and report the low speed. 

montypython

I will give them a ring,

Thanks very much for your help.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now