CrowdSupport®
LakeD
Level 1: Cadet

Television and Laptop won’t connect to NBN

Hi, I have a Sony Bravia smart tv and an older Toshiba laptop. 
Since NBN has been connected I haven’t been able to get the internet on either. Both say connected with no problems but receive no internet connection at all.. I am at a loss as to what the problem is and am getting very annoyed with it. I have an Apple iPad which is fine.

i haven’t rang customer help as that is an absolute useless thing to do..... when you finally get through they are no help! I am hoping someone here knows what the issue is as I’m assuming it’s something silly that I can fix.

thank you for your time.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Television and Laptop won’t connect to NBN

I would suggest going to your modem settings, go Wi-Fi, and untick the bandsteering option, and then when you search you should then start to see two Wi-Fi networks. One that will be like Telstra01234 and one that will be like Telstra01234-5G, try connection any of the older devices that aren’t working to the one without the 5G and see if that works. 

The modem would usually be at either 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

http://10.0.0.138

or

http://192.166.0.1

or

http://telstra.gateway/

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

LakeD

I did that, I didn’t have the 5g before that but now have the option on my iPad but not tv or laptop. TV is fairly new and worked fine with broadband, no problems with Netflix or any of the apps but now can’t get either.. So I tried the above (thank you) but it still isn’t working on either and one would think it would at least work with the television... 🤔 

LakeD

Modem is a TECHNICOLOR DJA0231

Have had it a couple months, don’t use laptop much and trying to get away from Foxtel so was wanting to use Netflix and other apps on the tv that used to work lol

There is no phone connected to it so don’t know whether that would work, haven’t one to connect to it to try, we use our mobiles. Another enigma of it now is finding the TV doesn’t connect to it, in the last couple months my internet usage has been double what I usually use... strange considering the tv used to be its highest user.. 

The DJA0231 modem has just had a firmware update (18.1.c.0443-950-RA). The firmware update has a bug in it which effects the 2,4 GHz WiFi. Your TV and Laptop afe probably only 2.4 GHz devices and the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi not working is the reason they can can no longer connect. If you have this firmware you can either wait for a patch that will fix the fault or ring support and report the 2.4 GHz as faulty. The firmware version is displayed on LHS of login page. 

There are a few other posts with the same problem.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Ps4-can-t-connect-to-wifi/m-p/845174#M89061

Foxtel is unmetered on an Telstra Internet connection netflix is metered. If you are now watching netflix instead of foxtel this could explain ylur doubling in data usage.

LakeD

My modem firmware version is 18.1c 0384-950-RB so I guess it’s a Telstra issue, what’s new! 
This NBN is just full of problems! Ah well, thank you very much for your help. My Netflix has never been through Telstra and was a problem a few months ago because it was streaming in HD but I put it back to standard. The newest problem with my usage doesn’t include Netflix as we haven’t been able to use it due to this problem with my internet..

Thank you again 

Highlighted

It might be Telstra broadband protect preventing TV and laptop having inter et access. Broadband protect can be  ypassed by usi g a non Telstra DNS. To change DNS server log into the modem and go to Advanced > Local Network  and select a DNS server from the drop down menu. Do this for both IPv4 and IPv6, save setting and reboot modem.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now